Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Looks like the coaching staff might have become a little urgent in nature this week.. that speaks well for the chances of improvement this coming Sunday.

Note the last sentence.. I am thinking Bishop is going to play more than people think.. personally I think that is a damn good thing.. he may make a mistake, but he brings a level of aggressiveness we have been lacking.. Hawk and Barnett have been playing tentative ball the last 6 to 8 weeks or so... Hawk I think is still hurting and Barnett.. whom knows. Maybe he misses his nightclub. :lol:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/314302 

Packers notes: Driven to build continuity, Clifton practices again
By JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com

GREEN BAY Mark Tauscher loves to tease his buddy and fellow Green Bay Packers veteran offensive tackle Chad Clifton about being "The Big Lamborghini," as Tauscher dubbed him a few years back.

The moniker came from Clifton's limited practice time caused by terminally balky knees with Tauscher likening it to how a Lamborghini owner wouldn't take his prized vehicle out for anything but a Sunday drive.

But after a disappointing effort against Minnesota's Jared Allen in last Sunday's loss to the Vikings, the Packers are driving their Lamborghini to the grocery store, to pick up the kids from school and any other daily errand they can think of.

For the second straight day, Clifton was a full participant in practice Thursday, marking the first time this season he's taken his full complement of reps in individual drills as well as 11-on-11 on both Wednesday and Thursday.

Against the Vikings, Clifton allowed a sack to Allen that resulted in a safety, indirectly caused a second sack, gave up a pressure to Allen and missed a key back-side block on a running play late in the game.

"We need a little more continuity. That's one of the things we feel like has maybe slowed us down a little bit," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said when asked if Clifton's extra practice work was the direct result of his play against Minnesota. "We want to be smart, obviously. We're not going to grind the guy so he's taken out in an ambulance out to the field on Sunday so he can play. But continuity is important, and we believe in practice."

Asked to assess Clifton's season, offensive line coach James Campen said, "I think he's played well at times, and at times he hasn't played so well. Just like every guy on that line. There's been times they've played well and there's times they have not played well. He had a couple plays against Allen I'm sure he'd love to have back."

While Philbin was careful in his criticism of Clifton's performance against the Vikings "I don't think it was a, 'My God, he couldn't do anything right' type of game," Philbin said the coaches clearly believe Clifton needs more practice time.

Campen said Clifton has tried to make up for missed snaps with extra film study, "footwork in low-impact situations" such as the early-practice jog-throughs, and watching film of practices in which left guard Daryn Colledge fills in for him to get mental reps.

"But nothing ever replaces actual practice," Campen said. "Never will."

Watching like a Hawk

Linebackers coach Winston Moss said that new starting middle linebacker A.J. Hawk whom the coaches still won't officially name as injured starter Nick Barnett's replacement has "looked good" at the position in practice.

Hawk is moving over from his customary will linebacker spot.

"From a player's standpoint, he's just going to have to get comfortable and get ready to make plays," Moss said. "From a scheme standpoint, you can teach a guy, 'Hey, if you get this look, this is your responsibility.' That can be coached. He can get all that down on paper. The issue is how quickly can he get comfortable based upon what specifically Chicago's going to give him this week."

The Packers have yet to put Barnett, who is out for the year with a torn ACL in his right knee, on season-ending injured reserve. They'll have a spot on the 53-man roster to fill when they do.

Extra points

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers (shoulder) practiced in full, including individual drills. "He took everything today. I thought that was definitely a good sign," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "Hopefully, that's where we are the rest of the season." ... Punt returner Will Blackmon (bruised quadriceps) was back in action on a limited basis. ... Defensive end Jeremy Thompson (groin) was limited in practice and looks unlikely to play Sunday against Chicago. ... The Packers signed defensive tackle Anthony Toribio to the practice squad and released defensive tackle Fred Bledsoe. ... McCarthy said he had yet to decide who'll get the second radio headset in his helmet Sunday, in addition to Hawk. "That's a good question," he said. "Probably Desmond (Bishop) or one of the (other) linebackers. (Safety) Nick Collins has done it. It could be A.J. and Nick."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
15 years ago
I seriously wonder why they are dragging their feet on the Barnett IR move?

Is there a chance he can come back this year or are they just waiting post Bears game to see how the combo of Hawk and Bishop do in the middle.. then make a move to add more Dline or Oline help?

Curious.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
digsthepack
15 years ago
This defense needs a "Wayne Simmons" type of personality injection. I want to see some nasty, physical play out of this defense....make opponents fear contact.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
dfosterf
15 years ago

I seriously wonder why they are dragging their feet on the Barnett IR move?

Is there a chance he can come back this year or are they just waiting post Bears game to see how the combo of Hawk and Bishop do in the middle.. then make a move to add more Dline or Oline help?

Curious.

"pack93z" wrote:

Excellent questions, especially the dragging the feet on the IR one.

He has a knee, in Press Conderence McCarthyism...
He has an ACL tear, in the rest of world.

http://football.calsci.com/Knees.html 
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
15 years ago

This defense needs a "Wayne Simmons" type of personality injection. I want to see some nasty, physical play out of this defense....make opponents fear contact.

"digsthepack" wrote:

R'member the 49ers game where Simmons just kicked the crap out of the tightends.. damn I need to watch that game again.. that was awesome..

Ball of pissedofness.. Simmons was.. but you need that type at the linebacker spot someplace.. dude could play ball. RIP.
Since69
15 years ago
I think Hawk would be better in the middle over the long haul - he seems to me a natural there. He could be the next Nischke.

That's bad news for Jeremy Thompson. Too bad. Our defensive line couldn't get any thinner if it threw up after every meal.

Why haven't we put Nick on IR yet? He's obviously done for the year. Let him heal (and move him to Will in the offseason). Use his roster spot to sign Jeb Terry.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I believe the reasoning was because McCarthy or Thompson said they feel the team is fairly healthy and putting him on IR isn't something they need to do.

Again, that's just something I think I read or heard in a conference. I'm not positive.
UserPostedImage
Packnic
15 years ago

"digsthepack" wrote:

i can't say it enough... AARON ROUSE.

and dfosterf.... i know your making a joke, but you do know that its not just Mike McCarthy that says "knee" when talking about an injury... or gives you little to nothing in press conferences.

John Fox here in Carolina is constantly laughed at for saying ..."it is what it is" along with Bill Belicheat and most any coach in the league.

Again, I know you are joking... but a lot of people on this site take Mike McCarthy telling them nothing, personally. They would expect him to get on stage with a model of a knee and explain to each one of them where the tear was and how it was going to be fixed.

the point is... the more details you dole out in pressers... the more info the enemy has to attack you in the game. So when Mike gets up there and says.. yeah Nick Barnett had an MCL tear on his right knee on this play... thats like putting a target on the exact spot for a lineman.

In my opinion... a good coach gives them nothing but takes from them everything.
blank
bozz_2006
15 years ago

"Packnic" wrote:

i can't say it enough... AARON ROUSE.

"digsthepack" wrote:

that would be all well and good if Rouse was a better player than Collins or Bigby... He isn't.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
15 years ago

Again, I know you are joking... but a lot of people on this site take Mike McCarthy telling them nothing, personally.

In my opinion... a good coach gives them nothing but takes from them everything.

"Packnic" wrote:

No, I take issue when he spews something like, I don't think we have a problem with discipline and mental focus when we have countless presnap penalties each freaking week..

I take issue with what I perceive as a lack of urgency and overall the inability to make the tough calls to correct problems when they recur. Oh, I don't know.. maybe address it in some sort of way other than what has been done up to this point with little improvement in the results.

I happen to agree that dolling out all the issues in a presser isn't exactly the most effective way of answering the fans questions and maintaining that competitive balance in the mean time.. however I don't think defending the players that are repeat offenders is a model for success as well.

See.. this article was intended to answer some of the issues at heart.. like kicking some of the problem spots back onto the practice field..

If IE.. Mike would have stated in the Presser.. one step is to hold people accountable and increase the practice schedule along the offensive line to clear up some of the mental errors and rust.. how is that going to hurt the preparation for the upcoming game?

A simple statement as such, would have shown that they acknowledged the issue, have a remedy in mind, and quieted the fans pissed nature towards "senseless" penalties and fundamental issues..

Simple steps in PR and in the same time.. without calling anyone out.. making sure the players got the message in a public setting from the coach.. no one likes that attention to be brought to themselves with the press looking for culprits.

A different perspective instead of calling out fellow members here.. see even you are a fan of the tactic.. :lol:

Why should Mike McCarthy be immune?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.