Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
About 5 years would be excellent timing to start the grooming process for another QB. ;)

*Edit.. forgot the link- 

There's one thing coach Bill Redell doesn't worry about: When his quarterback leaves practice, he doesn't go home to a crazed dad giving bad throwing tips.

No, when Nick Montana peels off his uniform and sits down to dinner, he's in decent company. [img_r]http://sports.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0519/recruit_montana67_300.jpg[/img_r]

"When he goes home and talks to his father, he's not talking over his games with some accountant," Redell said. "The guy has played the position before, you know."

Yeah, you could say that. Joe Montana, Nick's dad, played the position in the NFL about as well as anyone ever has. Nick's trying to set a similar standard at Oaks Christian (Westlake Village, Calif.), which is 9-0 and outscoring opponents by more than 40 points a game heading into its regular-season finale Friday against Nordhoff (Ojai) High.

Since transferring from California powerhouse De La Salle (Concord) High this summer, Montana has learned the Lions' system faster than Redell expected. For all its success, De La Salle typically plays conservative, relying on its running game.

Oaks Christian, not so much. The Lions have one of the best juniors in the state, running back Malcolm Jones, but they're not afraid to air it out. Montana has thrown for nearly 1,600 yards and 23 touchdowns while seldom playing past halftime.

The Lions, who are No. 93 in the RivalsHigh100 after starting the season unranked, have so thoroughly dominated opponents that their first-stringers usually morph into bench-warmers after the second quarter. In four games, Montana hasn't played past halftime. In the other five, he's played just a few third-quarter snaps.

That makes his recent play even more impressive. Redell has coached several blue-chip quarterbacks, including Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen. But none were thrown into the fire like Montana. Clausen, for one, spent four years in Oaks' system.

Montana had about two months to pick it up before the Lions' season opener, which they won, 35-7. Redell cited Montana's "coachability" and "leadership skills" as reasons for his immediate success.

Asked whether Montana was more a product of hard work than good genes, Redell hedged a bit.

"I think it's all of the above," Redell said. "Our coaching staff does a good job and [Montana's] a great worker. But, yeah, the background he has, the dad he has; he's got some natural ability."

That is partly why optimism is flowing around the Oaks Christian campus. Despite a few nicks and bruises, and Jones' shoulder injury - which will keep him out three to four weeks - the Lions are on a tear.

They've rolled past all Tri-Valley League competition, and their defense hasn't surrendered a touchdown in more than a month.

In fact, it's the defense not Montana that has been Redell's most pleasant surprise. He knew his team wouldn't allow many points, but 5.2 per game?

That's where defensive coordinator and 19-year NFL veteran Clay Matthews enters the picture.

"He's in total control of the defense," Redell said. "A lot of guys that played in the NFL aren't always good coaches because they can do things naturally but they can't teach them. Clay's an exception to that."

And when the Lions start postseason play next week, they'll get a boost from their freshman/sophomore team. A couple guys named Smith and Gretzky will join the varsity.

Like Montana, most people have heard of their dads, Will and Wayne. One acts. The other was a hockey player.

Sophomores Trey Smith and Trevor Gretzky, though, are a receiver and quarterback, respectively. And they're pretty good.

"I'm not thinking either of them will play a major role in the playoffs," Redell said, "but they'll be big for us next year."

That'll be Montana, Gretzky and Smith on one field.

So, no, Redell isn't worrying about bad influences at home. He's worrying about paparazzi.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
longtimefan
15 years ago
makes me feel old now lol

but makes me wonder if that is a private school? sounds like it would be
IronMan
15 years ago
His dad was fun to watch. Best clutch QB of all-time. End of discussion. One of my favorite games was the Monday night showdown he had against Elway, when Montana played for the Chiefs.
Packnic
15 years ago
I'd rather go after Dylan Favre.
blank
dhazer
15 years ago

I'd rather go after Dylan Favre.

"Packnic" wrote:

second with his 48 td passes
i
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.