zombieslayer
13 years ago
From the highly controversial author who has previously pointed out that rushing success is irrelevant in today's NFL, I'm going to go on record stating that Elite Running Backs are a waste of money.

Let's take our top 5 fantasy RBs for example. In order, it was Arian Foster, Peyton Hillis, AP, Jamaal Charles, and Chris Johnson. All-Pro Foster led the Houston Texans to a mighty 6-10 record. Peyton Hillis led the Browns to an unstoppable 5-11 record. The untackleable AP led the mighty mighty Vikings to a 6-10 record.

All Pro Jamaal Charles helped the Chiefs to a 10-6 record and the Playoffs, getting eliminated in the first round because some genius had the smart idea that they had to run more than pass and so they only scored 7 points. Now note, of these teams, Charles is the only one with a winning record but that's because guess what? They got a Pro Bowl QB in Matt Cassel (27 TDs vs 7 INTs, pretty good year I'd say).

And lastly Chris Johnson of the Titans. Nobody can stop Chris Johnson. Nobody. That's why their record was 6-10. How can anyone stop the run?

There you have it. Top 5 RBs and the only one not on a sucky team is the one with the Pro Bowl QB.

Out of curiosity, let's see who the top fantasy QB is? Hey, it's Aaron Rodgers, Super Bowl MVP.

So like I said, rushing success is irrelevant. Throw the damn ball (and let the pass open up the run).

This year, we got Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Maurice Jones-Drew, Ray Rice, and Frank Gore as our top fantasy RBs.

Chris Johnson has an absolutely amazing year, rushing for over 2000 yards and causing a big argument - who's better, Johnson or Adrian Peterson? That's a lot of yards. Did the Titans a lot of good. 8-8. Playoffs? Well...

AP is #2. Yes, the Vikings made it to the NFC Championship Game. But guess what? It wasn't because of Adrian Peterson. It was because of Brett Lorenzo Favre throwing for 33 TDs vs 7 INTs. Peterson's best year was the year before when he led the NFL in rushing yardage and the Vikings went one and out in the Playoffs because they couldn't throw the ball.

MJD is #3 and took the Jaguars all the way to a 7-9 record.

4th is Ray Rice who took the 9-7 Ravens all the way to the AFC Championship Game where they only scored 3 points because Flacco sucked and you know what? Rushing really doesn't score points. (Points win ball games). But we already know that.

Frank Gore's #5 and watched the Playoffs on TV at home with the rest of the 8-8 49ers. Is there anyone here who still wants to pay big money for a Running Back? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

Oh, guess who the top 2 Fantasy QBs were in that year? Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees, respectively. Rodgers went one and out but Brees famously hoisted the SB trophy.

DeAngelo Williams, Michael Turner, Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, and Thomas Jones were your top 5 for 2008.

Wlliams took the 12-4 Panthers all the way to the Playoffs where they got their asses handed to them by the Arizona Cardinals 33-13. Ouch! Why did they lose so badly? Well, their QB (the most important guy on the Offense) sucked. The top RB in the NFL just couldn't do shit because as I've already stated, you win games by scoring more points than your opponent. Rushing leads to punts. Passing is how points are scored.

Michael Turner led the 11-5 Falcons to the Wild Card game where they got beaten by those same Cardinals. What happened? Well, Michael Turner only got 42 rushing yards while Kurt Warner on the other team threw a 42 yard TD to Larry Fitzgerald and a 71 yard TD to Boldin. Passing, folks. That's how you score points. Oh, I've already said that.

This is weird. In 2008, the top 3 RBs were in the Playoffs. Very different from '10 and '09. But that's how it goes. Adrian Peterson took the 10-6 Vikings to the Wild Card game where they put the game in AP's hands. Great hands, no doubt, and 2 TD runs. But passing > rushing and even though the Vikings held Brian Westbrook to only 38 yards on 20 carries, they lost 26-14 because the Eagles coach knows that to win games, you throw the damn ball. McNabb lit them up. One and done.

da Bears. Missed the Playoffs with a 9-7 record. Poor Matt Forte. What a wasted year.

And lastly, we all know the story of the 2008 Jets. Favre did well and the Jets won. Favre sucked and the Jets lost. Rushing? Well, that doesn't have much bearing on the game. Oh, Thomas Jones was the RB just in case you were wondering.

So there you have it. The past 3 years. I could go further but I'm heading out to see a play in a few minutes. Who won the SB? Well, the team with the #1 D.

Like I've been saying - the most important thing is an elite D. Then an elite QB. RB? Well, you don't want to spend too much money on them as with a salary cap, spend it on defenders instead. It really doesn't matter who's back there. Rushing success is irrelevant to the success of your team.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
jdlax
13 years ago
Just for accuracy's sake, Williams led the 12-4 Panthers to the playoffs in 2008.
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Oops!

(Shouldn't have fired my proofreader).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
jdlax
13 years ago
Good thing, then, that I work like real cheap. 🙂
Greg C.
13 years ago
Very funny post, and I agree with you about elite RBs. A good one is nice, but when your RB is racking up massive yardage totals, usually something is wrong with your offense.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
What are you calling an Elite running back? I can't think of any in the NFL currently.

I do agree, having a good, even great running back serves less importance than a good to great quarterback.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

What are you calling an Elite running back?

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

He named a whole bunch of them. If you don't like the term "elite RBs," you can substitute another term of your choice, like "top ranking RBs" or whatever.
blank
Rockmolder
13 years ago

What are you calling an Elite running back? I can't think of any in the NFL currently.

I do agree, having a good, even great running back serves less importance than a good to great quarterback.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

So you're saying that AP isn't an elite running back?
jdlax
13 years ago
There has never before been, and never in the future will be, an elite running back besides Barry James Sanders.

Better aks someone, bitch.
Packers_Finland
13 years ago

There has never before been, and never in the future will be, an elite running back besides Barry James Sanders.

Better aks someone, bitch.

"jdlax" wrote:

There was no correlation between having Barry Sanders, and winning, so no, he is also not an elite running back.
This is a placeholder
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (18m) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (57m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (23h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.