Zero2Cool
15 years ago

The Packers have a few different options for how to go about replacing middle linebacker Nick Barnett for this Sunday's game, but one option apparently received the most attention on Wednesday.

During the jog-through portion of practice that was open to the media, A.J. Hawk lined up in Barnett's middle linebacker spot with Brandon Chillar working with the first unit at Hawk's usual weak-side position. Brady Poppinga remained in his normal strong-side spot.

But the defense is preparing for other scenarios as well. Head Coach Mike McCarthy said all the linebackers, including Desmond Bishop - who replaced Barnett during the second half last Sunday after Barnett tore the ACL in his knee, ending his season - are being double-trained at the inside and outside spots this week to give the unit the most flexibility for any adjustments that are needed.

"A.J. is getting a lot of work there, and we just have to be ready just to be able to move in and out of our different personnel groups," McCarthy said.

If Hawk ultimately is the choice in the middle, he says it won't be that big a change for him. In college at Ohio State, he played both inside and outside at linebacker, and he said being in the middle simply presents a new way to see the play unfold.

"It's just kind of seeing the game from a little different perspective, being in the middle of the field and running inside-out to all the plays instead of chasing things from the backside at the 'will' position a lot," Hawk said. "I think it just takes a little bit of work to keep that view, the different perspective of the game and to feel how they're trying to attack you and do things.

"It's tough losing a guy like Nick that's been doing it for so long here. That's why all of us as linebackers here need to make sure we step up and pick up the slack for him."

In addition to being the fiery, emotional leader of the defense, Barnett also wore the new helmet speaker to communicate the calls from defensive coordinator Bob Sanders to the huddle. Hawk took over wearing the helmet speaker after Barnett went down last week, and he expects to have that responsibility again.

"The last couple games, you always have to have backup guy for the speaker, and that was me," Hawk said. "Last week was the first time I had to do it, but it was fine. I enjoyed it. I like being in there in control of the huddle, calling the defense. It keeps you in the game."

All the cross-training going on with the core linebacking group will give the defense options to cover any other substitution or injury-related scenarios.

Chillar was a late scratch from the active gameday roster last week when a shoulder problem flared up on him the night before the game. He was a full participant in practice on Wednesday, but the workout was not in pads, whereas Thursday's practice is scheduled to be.

If Chillar is unable to play once again, the defense would have the choice of keeping Hawk in the middle and starting Bishop on the weak side, or moving Hawk back to the weak side and starting Bishop in Barnett's place. Or possibly moving Poppinga to a new spot if needed.

"All of us linebackers have rotated through all three positions," Hawk said. "In mini-camp, OTAs, even during the season we'll do that. It's not anything I haven't seen or any of the linebackers haven't seen. It's just all about getting reps and getting comfortable."

Bishop said it appears once again he'll need to be the linebacker ready-in-waiting. He made one big play in Barnett's place last Sunday, stripping the ball from running back Adrian Peterson on a fourth-and-1 midway through the fourth quarter.

But his two mistakes overshadowed that. On his first snap, he overran running back Chester Taylor in the flat on his 47-yard catch-and-run for a touchdown. And late in the game, he didn't fill the run gap on Peterson's game-winning 29-yard TD run.

Bishop can't help but wonder if he'd be the clear-cut choice to fill Barnett's shoes had he not made those errors, but he's going to get ready to play at any spot, regardless.

"You can't think like that, but then again, it's in the back of my mind," Bishop said. "If those two plays would have went the way I wanted them to, then maybe they might have had a little more confidence in me. But you can't go back. Only look forward."

That's what the defense as a whole is doing, both with respect to replacing Barnett and trying to stop the run.

With the team as healthy as it could be following the bye week, the hope was the run defense would improve, but instead Tennessee and Minnesota combined for 398 rushing yards in the last two games.

While this week's opponent, the Chicago Bears, rank 15th in rushing offense and aren't as highly touted in that department as the Titans (6th) and Vikings (5th) are, rookie running back Matt Fort is still eighth in the league in rushing yards with 713. So the Packers, and their new linebacker alignment, expect to see plenty of the former Tulane star on Sunday.

"Once you've shown something on film that you haven't done real well, I think a team should come in and try to test that and see if you've cleaned it up and if you can stop it," Hawk said. "We haven't been stopping the run like we should, so we expect everyone to test us."

The new linebacker configuration coming Sunday is perhaps a test run for the remainder of the season. With seven games left, replacing Barnett is a long-term proposition, but the group currently assembled is trying to prevent it from being even a short-term liability.

"It gives other guys an opportunity to step up," defensive end Aaron Kampman said. "I've said all along I think linebacker is one of our greatest positions of depth, and now we get a chance to really reflect that and show that this Sunday."

UserPostedImage
Since69
15 years ago
Good. Exactly what I would have done. If it works well enough, it makes Barnett expendable in the offseason, although what I'd really prefer is for Hawk to stay in the middle (where he belongs) and for Nick to play Will (where he belongs)...
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
15 years ago
Barnett, expendable!? Sure, he's had a bit of a lousy 08, but he's been a real solid MLB for us ever since his drafting.

I recall Barnett saying a few years ago that either he's the MLB or nothing, or something to that regard.
blank
yooperfan
15 years ago
Let's hope Hawk can play the middle better than he has played the outside.
He has been a big disappointment to me so far this year.
gakko
15 years ago
before the draft some said Hawk should be an MLB in the NFL because he lacks the straight line speed you want in an OLB. Hawk mainly stayed outside because Barnett refused to play anything other than MLB. Maybe Hawk will get his groove on in this position.
blank
DanJustDan29
15 years ago
I don't care who is there as long as they get stuff done.

We can always try Korey Hall...

He was a LB in college too...
Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another. -Vince Lombardi
IronMan
15 years ago

We can always try Korey Hall...

He was a LB in college too...

"DanJustDan29" wrote:

Hmmm good point. I didn't think about that. McCarthy said on his show a few weeks ago that they had entertained the idea of using back up offensive linemen to help in the DT rotation.
obi1
15 years ago
Wow, They DO listen to me don't they?

I posted that they should move Hawk to the middle 2 days ago and look...

All right, where's my cookie?
blank
bakler5
15 years ago
Do you think secretly Ted Thompson wants either Hawk or Bishop, whomever gets the nod, to play extremely well just to prove to Barnett that maybe olb is the best spot for him? I mean Barnett has always been one of my favorite players, but anyone who watches on a regular basis knows that no matter what he cannot shed blocks for the life of him.
God didn't create Aaron Rodgers, Aaron Rodgers created God.
Pack93z
15 years ago
I think of the two options.. unless Hawk comes to life at the Mike.. Bishop is the better choice.. Hawk is playing reactionary and not on the attack.

Maybe this change will bring him to life.. but if he plays the same style as he did outside.. no way this is the better choice in my opinion.

Hawk started strong this year and has faded.. much like Barnett.. maybe shaking things up will spark him.. we shall see.

Does this combination gives us the most talent and experience on the field.. yes, but a reactionary MLB will not help this run game improve..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (34m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.