Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Super Bowl Flyover Cost Over $450,000 . . . Even Larger Flyover Planned For Turkey Bowl 
Published 1, February 8, 2011

While watching the Super Bowl, I remarked to the kids on the curious concept of a flyover by Navy jets for a closed stadium where the fans watched on jumbo screens. My mirth turned to madness when I just saw on Reddit, however, that it cost the public $450,000. I am also pleased to announce the scheduled flyover (left) planned for this years Turley Turkey Bowl.

The Navy says the cost to bring the formation of four planes, plus a backup, to North Texas was over $450,000, based on the operational cost of the F-18 aircraft and the number of hours the pilots will fly. They came from Virginia Beach because the military decided it was better to take them from across the country rather than use the squadron of F-18 fighters at the Joint Reserve Base in Fort Worth, less than 20 miles from the stadium.

The Navy insists that it is good for public relations . . . for the public to see that it is willing to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars at a time of economic stress to fly over a closed domed stadium.

It works for me. I have completed the DD 2253 (Request for Military Aerial Support) form below for my own military flyover for my annual Turley Thanksgiving Turkey Bowl with children in the neighborhood. This Redskins-Bears game is a public event with considerable following.

Unlike the Super Bowl, the Turley Turkey bowl is held in an open field ideal for our flyover.

The Turley Turkey Bowl organization released the following statement:

We are delighted by the opportunity to have a flyover added our annual game watched by dozens across this suburb. While we have a squadron of F-18s located less than a mile away at Langley, we would prefer planes from Europe to perform the flyover to capture the international spirit of this event.

Note to readers: following this blog entry, the Turley Turkey Bowl will be trademarked. However, you may continue to refer to it as the Big Game in McLean or simply The Event Formerly Known As The Turley Turkey Bowl.

Here is our form: DD2535-Aviation
Source: KHOU.

Jonathan Turley

UserPostedImage
Porforis
13 years ago
I think it would have been worth the aforementioned cost plus a couple low-yield bombs just to shut Christina Augulera up.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
I don't mind the flyover. I do have to wonder why they need them if the dome is closed. But with that said I once stood outside Lambeau as the planes flew over. They popped over the edge of the bowl and screamed overhead. It was amazing. Let's say they were there for the 1000's who were outside instead of those that were inside. I wish they would have used the planes out of Ft Worth.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

I think it would have been worth the aforementioned cost plus a couple low-yield bombs just to shut Christina Augulera up.

"Porforis" wrote:

love it. I'll + you.
UserPostedImage
doddpower
13 years ago
I blame Barack Obama.
13 years ago

I blame Barack Obama.

"doddpower" wrote:

Tax and spend tax and spend.

I heard W pulled some strings and was actually able to ride on one of them for the flyover.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
istanbulpacker
13 years ago
That $450,000 is a bit of a red herring. I'm sure that factors in cost for gas for the flight hours concerned. However, those are flight hours that they need to burn anyhow for training. Coming from Virginia, those pilots got training in out of area ops, probably satisfied some annual night hour requirements, and instrument flight time requirements. Furthermore, it is more difficult than you think to execute a perfect flyover where you come blasting over the stadium just as the singer finishes the last notes of "....the braaaaaaa-ve." It is a time-distance problem that is analogous to having a time on target for dropping ordnance. Except, here you don't have a hard clock time but have to adjust for the singer's timing.

Bottom Line: These pilots could have spent that $450K flying circles overhead their main field to get the same training. Or, they could use that money in conjunction with a highly publicized public affairs event such as the Super Bowl. Very high visibility event. Granted, the idea of flying over a closed dome is absurd to me but we'll blame that on Jerry Jones. As far as the Navy or Air Force are concerned, you never know what 10-yr old football fan sitting in the stadium is going to look up and decide that flying jets is for him (or her).
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
I was told that the pilots go into a holding pattern of sorts near the stadium. They push on the peddle so to speak when they hear the singer gets to a certain point in the song.
When the singers ad-lib and hold notes for their own satisfaction the song takes longer than planned and the planes fly over too soon.

Along the lines of what you are saying istanbul, the line

The Navy insists that it is good for public relations . . . for the public to see that it is willing to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars at a time of economic stress to fly over a closed domed stadium.

is so lame. It is not as if they are buying aviation fuel along the way. they are not stopping at the local diner and grabbing a bite to eat.
If they do land it is at a local base. they are most likely getting something to eat on base (hard to make reservations in Dallas doing the SB.) If they stay over night it will also be on base and not at one of the over priced hotel's in the area. There is nothing in the $450,000 that even remotely stimulates the economy. The $450,000 is already a part of the budget and does nothing more than what would happen if the flight did not occur or a crew took off from Ft Worth instead.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
Lets see... 1200 seats x average cost of $800 (face value) = $960,000.00

Hmmm.. maybe the NFL figured they need two flyovers. ;)

[marq=right]Yes I know.. we the public spent the money.. [/marq]
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
istanbulpacker
13 years ago

It is not as if they are buying aviation fuel along the way. they are not stopping at the local diner and grabbing a bite to eat.
If they do land it is at a local base. they are most likely getting something to eat on base (hard to make reservations in Dallas doing the SB.) If they stay over night it will also be on base and not at one of the over priced hotel's in the area. There is nothing in the $450,000 that even remotely stimulates the economy. The $450,000 is already a part of the budget and does nothing more than what would happen if the flight did not occur or a crew took off from Ft Worth instead.

"wpr" wrote:

You are on target here but I'll take it one step further. You are assuming that the Navy foots the bill for the whole thing. Most of these flyovers at airshows, parades, football games, etc are done on No Cost Orders by pilots who give up their weekend to do the event because they have a local connection,etc. or just want to. Who wouldn't want to say they flew over the Super Bowl? Especially if it means they get free tickets and likely on-field passes? So, yes, the gas is already in the budget. There are typically no "landing fees" for military aircraft if they land at civilian fields. Dallas Cowboys/Dallas Super Bowl committee probably footed the bill for the hotels. Probably some food too. That is typical with these deals. Most local fans that see pilots in flight suits at the games do their part to provide liquid refreshment. It's a pretty win-win deal all around. Military guys get a good deal and get appreciated while not spending any money that isn't already budgeted.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.