Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Packers, Starks must run to win

Saturday, February 05, 2011
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

UserPostedImage
Packers running back James Starks ran for 123 yards against the Eagles in an NFC wild card playoff game at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia Jan. 9, 2011.

IRVING, Texas -- Even the most casual football fan knows that Aaron Rodgers will start at quarterback in Super Bowl XLV Sunday night. By contrast, even the most ardent fans might not know who will be lining up behind Rodgers at running back.

History suggests the Packers will have to run the ball effectively to beat the Steelers, and the player charged with the task of trying to penetrate the Steelers' top-ranked rushing defense is James Starks, a rookie out of the University of Buffalo.

The NFL has transformed into a pass-happy league with offenses geared around quarterbacks and talented groups of receivers. The Packers fit that mold as Rodgers directs one of the league's best passing attacks, but coach Mike McCarthy is keenly aware that running the ball effectively will be a key component in the outcome.

"I've always said it, time and time again, run attempts and third-down production are two key statistics to an offense," McCarthy said.

McCarthy is a student of the game and must be aware of a little-known Super Bowl fact. In the previous 44 Super Bowls, the team with the most rushing attempts won the game 37 times. On five occasions, the team with the most rushing attempts have lost. (Opposing teams twice had the same number of carries in the game.)

Think of the most-prolific passing offenses in recent history. Tom Brady and the New England Patriots come to mind, but did you know that the Patriots had more rushing attempts than their opponent in each of their three Super Bowl victories? In the one Super Bowl the Patriots lost under Brady, the New York Giants had 26 rushing attempts compared to 16 for the Patriots.

The 1994 San Francisco 49ers creamed the San Diego Chargers, 49-26, in Super Bowl XXIX. Steve Young and Jerry Rice dominated the game, but the 49ers also rushed the ball 32 times to 19 for the Chargers.

This is not to suggest that the Packers have to run the ball early and often against the Steelers. But, at some point, the Packers are going to have to run the ball effectively if they want to win.

Starks figures to get most of those carries. The Packers lost starter Ryan Grant for the season in Week 1, and a host of others filled in as the featured running back the remainder of the season.

Starks is one of them, but he does not have much experience after dressing for two regular-season games once he overcome a hamstring injury.

In those game, he rushed for 93 yards. It was not until the playoffs that Starks became more effective. He rushed for 123 yards in a wild-card victory against the Philadelphia Eagles, the highest rushing total for a rookie in franchise history. He rushed for 66 yards in a divisional-round victory against the Atlanta Falcons and 74 yards and a touchdown in the NFC championship victory against the Chicago Bears.

"He's earned his opportunities," McCarthy said. "We're very pleased with the way he has matured and taken full advantage of his opportunity. He will be a factor in Sunday's game."

Starks rushed for more than 3,000 yards in his college career at Buffalo, but he missed his senior season with a shoulder injury and was not on the NFL general managers' short list last draft day. The Packers waited until the sixth round to take him.

"Everybody doubts you, and they don't know what you're capable of," Starks said. "So, when you get an opportunity to go out there and be successful and prove everybody wrong ... I just get a thrill out of that."

Starks will face a Steelers defense that allowed the Baltimore Ravens and New York Jets to rush for 35 and 70 yards in the first two playoff games. Despite the stinginess of the Steelers defense, the Packers do not plan on abandoning their running game. In each of their three playoff victories, they had more rushing attempts than their opponent.

"I think a team would play into the hands of the opposition if you throw every down," Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "Your quarterback will be in one spot, and you would be asking your offensive linemen to block all day against every blitz and every defensive-line game. I don't know that you can do that."

The plan is to lean on Starks and other running backs to keep the Steelers honest.

"I think as an offensive lineman you want to believe you can run the ball on anybody," Packers guard Daryn Colledge said. "The word is the stats don't lie, and we know we're probably not going to go out there and break off 200 yards rushing, but we have to find a way to run the ball a little bit.

"It's part of what we do on offense. It's part of what sets up your play action and your fakes, so we've got to be able to threaten them with the run. I think when you play the best defense in the NFL, you get a little bit of a chip on your shoulder and you say, 'All right, let's go out and face them.' If we can get something done then, maybe we can say we were a little bit better than you were today."

Ray Fittipaldo: rfittipaldo@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1230.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11036/1123348-66.stm#ixzz1DP3E12bt 

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
story=fail
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
He ran it for almost 5 yard per carry against a defense that some said couldn't be run on.. I hardly call 5 yards a carry a fail.

When we wanted to run.. it was there for us. IMO.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

He ran it for almost 5 yard per carry against a defense that some said couldn't be run on.. I hardly call 5 yards a carry a fail.

When we wanted to run.. it was there for us. IMO.

"Pack93z" wrote:

Back way down Pack93. Starks is not a fail. The STORY is a fail. It says that GB had to have more rushing attempts than Pitt to win.

McCarthy is a student of the game and must be aware of a little-known Super Bowl fact. In the previous 44 Super Bowls, the team with the most rushing attempts won the game 37 times. On five occasions, the team with the most rushing attempts have lost. (Opposing teams twice had the same number of carries in the game.)

Think of the most-prolific passing offenses in recent history. Tom Brady and the New England Patriots come to mind, but did you know that the Patriots had more rushing attempts than their opponent in each of their three Super Bowl victories? In the one Super Bowl the Patriots lost under Brady, the New York Giants had 26 rushing attempts compared to 16 for the Patriots.

The 1994 San Francisco 49ers creamed the San Diego Chargers, 49-26, in Super Bowl XXIX. Steve Young and Jerry Rice dominated the game, but the 49ers also rushed the ball 32 times to 19 for the Chargers.

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago

Back way down Pack93. Starks is not a fail. The STORY is a fail. It says that GB had to have more rushing attempts than Pitt to win.

"wpr" wrote:

My bad.. I should have made it more clear.

Not saying you were referencing Starks as a fail.. more that we could have ran it on them if we wanted to.. as referenced by the ypc.

Sorry if it came off wrong.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

"Pack93z" wrote:

My bad.. I should have made it more clear.

Not saying you were referencing Starks as a fail.. more that we could have ran it on them if we wanted to.. as referenced by the ypc.

Sorry if it came off wrong.

"wpr" wrote:

Well I was being lazy. I should have said "story=fail. Starks 4.55 ypc= success".
UserPostedImage
Dulak
13 years ago
damn you guys - making want to rewatch that philly game now ...
Greg C.
13 years ago
It's a lazy article. Will we ever get rid of the old saw about winning teams running the ball more? How many million more times will it need to be pointed out that teams that are in the lead run the ball more than teams that are behind? And the corollary: Successful offenses, even if they succeed mainly by passing, tend to get into down and distance situations that favor the run.

The writer also casts doubt on Starks because of his lack of experience. Yeah, we all know how important experience is for winning a Super Bowl. With the game behind us, the article reads more like wishful thinking than anything. But then, there were similar articles in the Wisconsin papers.

In the first half, the Packers ran the ball just enough to keep the Steelers honest. In the second half, they didn't even do that. And they won the Super Bowl against the best defense in the league. Case closed.
blank
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Starks ran 11 times. Aaron threw 39 times.

39 > 11 * 3

Writer = EPIC FAIL.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
macbob
13 years ago

Starks ran 11 times. Aaron threw 39 times.

39 > 11 * 3

Writer = EPIC FAIL.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

What the writer SHOULD have written is Starks must run to win, or Steelers turn the ball over 3 times (including a pick 6), then the article would have been accurate.

Aaron threw 39 times for over 300 yds, 3 tds, and we only won by 6 pts in a game that the defense got 3 turnovers and scored a TD by themselves.

Without the three turnovers: Pass only game = loss
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (4m) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (55m) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (15h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
58m / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

14h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.