Pack93z
13 years ago

Both had major injuries and the players that were brought in during mid season to fill in played huge roles.

"mi_keys" wrote:

To be more specific, both had an unsung veteran come in during the season and play a big role down the stretch:

'96--Bruce Wilkerson (left tackle)
'10--Howard Green (defensive end)

Also, both teams had a big powerful nose tackle with a lot of personality: Gilbert Brown and B.J. Raji.

"Greg C." wrote:

Yep, I was thinking Bruce Wilkerson and Andre Rison when he filled in for Robert Brooks. Green was just as immense for us either of those players and arguably had the play of the game by causing the pick six in the 1st quarter.

"mi_keys" wrote:

You could add a Walden, which was signed mid season.. and his contribution in the Bears game in week 17.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
mi_keys
13 years ago

Both had major injuries and the players that were brought in during mid season to fill in played huge roles.

"Pack93z" wrote:

To be more specific, both had an unsung veteran come in during the season and play a big role down the stretch:

'96--Bruce Wilkerson (left tackle)
'10--Howard Green (defensive end)

Also, both teams had a big powerful nose tackle with a lot of personality: Gilbert Brown and B.J. Raji.

"mi_keys" wrote:

Yep, I was thinking Bruce Wilkerson and Andre Rison when he filled in for Robert Brooks. Green was just as immense for us either of those players and arguably had the play of the game by causing the pick six in the 1st quarter.

"Greg C." wrote:

You could add a Walden, which was signed mid season.. and his contribution in the Bears game in week 17.

"mi_keys" wrote:

I was thinking about him too. He played really well for us in the playoffs.
Born and bred a cheesehead
RainX
13 years ago
While there were definitely some similarities, I'd say the path the '10 had to go through was more difficult.

The '96 team was 13-3, had the #1 seed, and had to go through SF at home, Carolina at home, and then New England to win it's Super Bowl. If you remember, the best team arguably on the AFC side that year in Denver, was upset by the Jaguars in the divisional round which probably allowed for a weaker Patriots team (on paper) to get to the Super Bowl.

The '10 team was a #6 seed and had to fight just to get into the playoffs and win 3 straight road games @ Philly (where they have historically struggled), @ Atlanta (where the Falcons have been lights out), and @ Chicago (biggest rival) just to get the Super Bowl to play a pretty good Pittsburgh team who had won 2 Super Bowls in recent years.

I'd say the '10 team, in certain areas was a better team than the '96 squad, and vice versa for other areas.

Overall both were memorable squads that have been the only teams to deliever championships to Green Bay since the merger which says a lot considering where this team was even 20 years ago.
blank
Pack93z
13 years ago
Want the biggest difference?

This current team will have a larger window of opportunity that the 96' club.. the 96' club had a great number of veterans that were in decline..

We have far less on this current club.. and you can see two young leaders on each side developing in Rodgers and Matthews to carry the torch from Driver and Woodson..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Finley88Beast
13 years ago
Here is a interesting fact everytime the packers went to the superbowl the next year they went again. Superbowls 1 and 2 and superbowls 31 and 32 next is 45 and 46!
A Quote from my brother Mike(Bears Fan)
"Fucking Greg Jennings"
After he makes a catch
Finley88Beast
13 years ago
o another similarity is they were both broadcasted on Fox lol
A Quote from my brother Mike(Bears Fan)
"Fucking Greg Jennings"
After he makes a catch
nerdmann
13 years ago
The '96 offense relied on consistent, high percentage plays and thus was successful consistently. They didn't go up early, showing how easy it could be, then produce nothing for the next 3.5 quarters only to win on a last minute interception.
The problem with the '96 team was that the defense was constructed based on power, not speed. So it was great at Lambeau, but we couldn't win consistently in domes. Remember the "dome curse?"
Well, today the offense is less consistent due to MM's low percentage "run and shoot" philosophy, but the defense is built for speed. So we are basically a dome team, who is based out of the frozen tundra. Overall, I think it's an advantage over the '96 team.
Power teams were more advantageous in the Lombardi era, when there were fewer domes, but the rules also favored the run game. Defenders could knock a WR down if they wanted to. In '70 the rules changed to favor the passing game. This if for the benefit of TV ratings. The WCO offense was designed to take advantage of this set or rules, just as Lombardi's "Power Sweep" offense was designed based on the old set of rules.
Between the rules favoring the passing game and the advent of domed stadiums with artificial turf, designing your team around the idea of speed is a distinct advantage over designing it based around the idea of power. Even when you run a stupid, low percentage offense that goes into a shell for 3.5 quarters of every game.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Here is a interesting fact everytime the packers went to the superbowl the next year they went again. Superbowls 1 and 2 and superbowls 31 and 32 next is 45 and 46!

"Finley88Beast" wrote:

Packers Raiders
Packers Chiefs

Packers Patriots
Packers Broncos

Packers Steelers
Packers ???
UserPostedImage
13 years ago

Reggie White - Clay Matthews

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

Actually, I was thinking:

Reggie White - Greg Jennings

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Pack93z
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Packers Raiders
Packers Chiefs

Packers Patriots
Packers Broncos

Packers Steelers
Packers ???

"Finley88Beast" wrote:

Ravens
Fan Shout
dfosterf (16h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (17h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (20h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (23h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.