Greg C.
13 years ago

Jones is a free agent. The Packers won't get anything for him. His drops have seriously damaged his value. I wouldn't mind if they signed him for the right price, but it is time to bring in another good receiving prospect. Jones is unreliable and may be go elsewhere anyway, Driver is nearing the end of the line, and Swain looks no better than a #4.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

I don't think he has seriously damaged his value, although his drops no doubt lower the money he could get in his next deal.

But, honestly, I hope Ted is willing to give Jones at least one more chance. What I think a lot of people underestimate with Jones is his talent. He has deceptive speed, some quicks to him, is built really well, and runs good routes. If he can ever become consistent catching the ball, he would be a tremendous complement to Jennings and Finley.

His talent is vast... some of the things I've seen him do on replays are really unexpected. He can get behind some relatively fast CBs, can make defenders miss in the open field, and make some really tough catches. If he ever became more consistent, you have the makings of an exceptional #3 option behind are other two top playmakers. That is a big "if" though.

"Greg C." wrote:

I hear you, I hear you. I've been in Jones' corner for most of his time here. He looked very impressive to me even as a rookie. He's so smooth. But my patience has worn thin with the drops in the playoffs. He's been in the league for four years; he should be able to catch the ball by now.

I would hate to see him go to another team and light it up, after we went through all these growing pains with him, but maybe that's a chance the Packers will have to take. We'll see what kind of price he commands on the open market.
blank
porky88
13 years ago
I feel good about the Green Bays chances. I know some don't want to throw out dynasty or back-to-back yet, but the fact is, trends are meant to be broken. The idea of 10 straight years of a different NFC Champion is going to last is absurd. Eventually, that cycle will break and the Packers are as well equipped to do it as any recent team I can think of.

In a chat, I compared this team to the 88 49ers. They were 10-6 and won the Super Bowl. The next year, they won 14 games and blew out Denver. I see many similarities
jdog2
13 years ago

Didn't Antonio Freeman have trouble catching the easy ones, then broke his forearm and caught everything?

;)

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I gotcha we need to break Jones' forearm
blank
shield4life
13 years ago
I disagree we mustn't get rid of James Jones, specially if DD is in his last years.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Yerko
13 years ago

I disagree we mustn't get rid of James Jones, specially if Donald Driver is in his last years.

"shield4life" wrote:

I was sort of thinking the same thing, but Driver has at least another season....if not 2 seasons. The good thing about Driver is he will know when to call it quits and I haven't seen that from him yet.

With that being said, there is Jordy Nelson who has shown he can also be an exceptional wide receiver. I would place Jordy Nelson at #3 over James Jones. The Pack also have Brett Swain who has shown some promise when he is in the game. Packers also have the return of Jermichael Finley, easily playing a #2 or #3 wide receiver.

I don't think Jones will be as big of a loss as people think. I am definitely not against the Packers sticking with him though (if he stops dropping the damn ball).
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
13 years ago
Just saw Rodgers tweet to Larry Fitzgerald... seems like they are friends. Any chance Larry decides enough is enough, and after next season is hell-bent on joining forces with his friends Rodgers + Jennings ala LeBron with the Heat? Fitz has his contract set up so that he cannot be applied franchise tag... plus given what he had at QB this year, I'm sure he'd appreciate an upgrade....

Delusional is I? Yes, yes I probably is.

Being serious, I agree with Greg and G-Force we don't need James Jones, especially with Jordy being on the depth chart also. The thing that just gets me is that, like Greg mentioned, we see James Jones finally become consistent with another team - that talent being put to good use somewhere else makes me pretty ticked off just thinking about it.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
13 years ago

Just saw Rodgers tweet to Larry Fitzgerald... seems like they are friends. Any chance Larry decides enough is enough, and after next season is hell-bent on joining forces with his friends Rodgers + Jennings ala LeBron with the Heat? Fitz has his contract set up so that he cannot be applied franchise tag... plus given what he had at QB this year, I'm sure he'd appreciate an upgrade....

Delusional is I? Yes, yes I probably is.

Being serious, I agree with Greg and G-Force we don't need James Jones, especially with Jordy being on the depth chart also. The thing that just gets me is that, like Greg mentioned, we see James Jones finally become consistent with another team - that talent being put to good use somewhere else makes me pretty ticked off just thinking about it.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

If you add Fitzgerald and Finley to this year's passing offense, they are completely unstoppable. It wouldn't even be fair.

I think we need to hold onto Jones. Rodgers has experience with him. They know each other's tendencies well. Plus Driver is getting up there in age, and we can't move forward with Swain as our #3 WR. It's a deep position on the roster but we NEED it to be deep.
UserPostedImage
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago
[EDIT - ASSUMING THERE IS AN NFL SEASON NEXT YEAR]

lol
blank
Dulak
13 years ago
Couldnt agree more - if someone at the start of the season would of said we would of put 16 guys on IR and lost how many starters? ... finley, grant, barnett, burnett and gone through 6 ROLBers and went 10-6 in the POs and made it in just barely as the 6th seed and then won the SB ... I would of said No F'ing way.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I realize that Jones is a free agent, unfortunately, which probably puts the Packers in the peculiar position of having to resign him before dangling him in a trade. It's probable also that he would have to be packaged with another player (or draft picks), a proposition to which Ted Thompson would not likely be amenable, and it's not likely we'd get more than a 5th round pick for him anyway. Also, Aaron Rodgers does seem to be comfortable with him despite the drops, since he doesn't hesitate to go back to him (though one could also argue that that is more a function of there only being so many receivers on the team, particularly when Jennings is targeted by the defense). Finally, Ted Thompson seems to favor homegrown talent. Therefore, the probability is he will be on the roster next year.

The idea of trading Nick Barnett for picks verges on preposterous. He's gone down both of the previous two seasons with injury, and he wasn't putting on a great showing in the Packers' 3-4 defense even when he was healthy. I don't see any way another team would offer more than a 7th round pick (maybe a 6th if they were truly desperate) for him, and even that's doubtful. I think the probability is he will simply be waived.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (11h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.