Greg C.
13 years ago
Here's a good quote about the game, from Don Banks' article on the Sports Illustrated web site:

"We were given basically no chance,'' Jets linebacker Bart Scott said of New York's heavy-underdog status. "But we also knew that [Brady's] quarterback rating over the last four or five playoff games was about 66. The TD-to-INT ratio was high. And we knew when we looked on [both] rosters that we had all the playoff experience, and that they're a relatively young team. We've been in the pressure. Some of their guys were there last year and had been part of the ass-kicking by the Baltimore Ravens.

"We knew we actually had gone on the road and knew what a playoff atmosphere was all about," Scott said. "We could still perform and not get overhyped, and not be underhyped. We can handle the emotional moment and settle into a tough football game.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/01/16/jets.pats.insider/index.html#ixzz1BIHk3sSR 
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
I'm of two minds, again.

On the one hand, it was good to see NE lose.

On the other hand, the Jets won.

I guess I'm a gonna have to (temporarily) root for the Steelers, Hines Ward, Big Ben, and all.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago
Was anyone else of hte mindset that the 4th Q was really weird? Why did the Pats keep running it and why did they do that 7 minute drive. Why not hurry it up when your down two scores. At one point, BB was yelling at the O because they did a run play. Was Brady checking out of pass plays???

The whole strategy in the 4th really confused me for a BB coached team.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Did I hear correctly that the announcers said Tom Brady is 0-3 in his last three playoff games?

Why is it that the performances of some QBs who are regular-season warriors plummet during the playoffs? Brett Favre comes to mind, as does Peyton Manning, and it seems that Tom Brady is settling into this pattern too.

I agree with RedSoxExcel that I was baffled by the gameplan in the 4th quarter. Tom Brady seemed like he had no confidence in the pass.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

Did I hear correctly that the announcers said Tom Brady is 0-3 in his last three playoff games?

Why is it that the performances of some QBs who are regular-season warriors plummet during the playoffs? Brett Favre comes to mind, as does Peyton Manning, and it seems that Tom Brady is settling into this pattern too.

I agree with RedSoxExcel that I was baffled by the gameplan in the 4th quarter. Tom Brady seemed like he had no confidence in the pass.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

2007 Super Bowl--lost
2008--injured
2009--lost in first round to Ravens
2010--lost in first round to Jets

That's three in a row for the best clutch QB of our era. So either Brady is not as clutch as people think he is, or he hasn't had as much support from his teammates. I tend to side more with the latter theory. Just look at the changes in personnel for the Patriots in recent years. Only a handful of players besides Brady are left from their last Super Bowl winning team (2004), and Deion Branch is a retread.

I guess that great QB's performances usually decline in the playoffs because, in part, of the old adage that "defenses win championships." The teams with the best defenses tend to make the playoffs and advance the farthest. It is much less likely that a QB will come up against a very soft defense that will allow him to roll up big numbers. This is even more true of QBs on teams that earn first round byes, as the softies tend to fall by the wayside in round one.

That clock-eating fourth quarter drive was indeed very strange. If they had hurried, the Jets would've kept faking injuries, stopping the clock. It does show how well the Jets defended the pass, completely throwing the Patriots off their game. If the Packers make it to the Super Bowl, I would rather have them face the Steelers than the Jets.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Great point. If I remember correctly, the Jets defense held the Packers to three fieldgoals the last time they met.

However, there we go again with the use of the word "clutch." In the second half, I kept thinking that if the Patriots somehow manage to eke out a victory, Brady will once again be heralded as a "clutch quarterback," despite having objectively sucked in the first three quarters. I think the term should be reserved for performances in which a player performs well during a game and pulls out a victory at the end because the opposing team made a good play when it counted, not for last second heroics that somehow manage to cover over a game's worth of sub-par performance. In other words, I think the term should be reserved for elevation of good performance, not for scrambling to compensate for poor performance.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

Great point. If I remember correctly, the Jets defense held the Packers to three fieldgoals the last time they met.

However, there we go again with the use of the word "clutch." In the second half, I kept thinking that if the Patriots somehow manage to eke out a victory, Brady will once again be heralded as a "clutch quarterback," despite having objectively sucked in the first three quarters. I think the term should be reserved for performances in which a player performs well during a game and pulls out a victory at the end because the opposing team made a good play when it counted, not for last second heroics that somehow manage to cover over a game's worth of sub-par performance. In other words, I think the term should be reserved for elevation of good performance, not for scrambling to compensate for poor performance.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

That's a fair point. The thing is, Brady WAS that guy who used to play well the entire game and then pull it out at the end if necessary. I am with you all the way on liking those kinds of QBs better than the ones who put themselves into a hole and then have to dig themselves out of it. But most people like athletes who noticeably elevate the quality of their play when a contest comes down to the wire.

People love drama, and I think they like seeing the human side of athletes--screwing up and then atoning for their sins, all that sort of thing. We got such a heavy dose of that with Favre (who wasn't a great comeback QB anyway) that I think a lot of us got thoroughly sick of it. I know I did. No more drama please! Just play your best football for 60 minutes and win the damn game!
blank
Pack93z
13 years ago
Is it Brady that has declined or is it that the League finally squashed some of the advantage that some of the practices of the Patriots and have returned them somewhat to the playing field.

When the Spygate scandal was brought to light.. they had enough tape on folks, current information, to string through for a while.. since some time has passed the Patriots haven't been the same Pats in the clutch that they once were.

Yesterday Billy Boy made several blunders.. fake punt and that late time consuming drive come to mind right away.

People can say all they want that there wasn't much advantaged gained.. but this team isn't the same machine it once was.. especially playoff time.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
All good points, Shawn. I just had fun watching how frustrated Belichick looked the whole game. He wasn't his usual smugly poker-faced self.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
I was hoping the icing on the cake might have been Rex throwing a right hook instead of a handshake. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (20h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (23h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.