Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
A buddy of mine went to see pictures of this buck and actually got to see the animal.. he said pictures don't do it justice.

Anyway... what a dandy.. he took a couple of pictures.. so if he sends them I will post.

The Video this summer 

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors/33757004.html 

An Eau Claire bowhunter harvested a white-tailed buck Saturday in Buffalo County that is garnering national attention as a potential world record. [img_r]http://www.leadertelegram.com/articles%5Carticleimages%5Clarge%5CBI84BR11GD2.jpg[/img_r]

In what is unfolding as something of a storybook script, Bob Decker of Eau Claire - a paper mill worker described by friends as just an average guy who likes to hunt - ventured to the woods near Mondovi for his first hunt of the 2008 archery season.

Hunting on land he leases with friends, Decker had taken antlerless deer and small bucks in recent seasons but no trophies. So you can imagine his pleasant surprise when the first deer to come along on his first morning of hunting was a large buck.

Immediately deciding it was a "shooter," Decker watched the deer walk beneath his tree stand and took a well-placed shot from within 10 yards.

"I knew I shot a nice deer," Decker told the Eau Claire Leader-Telegram. "I figured I'd shot a good-sized 10-pointer."

Upon recovering the buck, he learned he had misjudged not only the number of points but the size of the rack.

The 16-point buck is a "phenomenal animal," said Jack Dodge, an Eau Claire taxidermist who viewed the buck over the weekend.

"It's too early to say if it's a record, but it's a deer of a lifetime," said Dodge, 58, and owner of Dodge's Taxidermy for 30 years. "And if it's not a record, it's certainly the most popular buck of the year."

Video shot in late summer of a very large buck in a Buffalo County field was posted on several Web sites in recent weeks, including that of Field and Stream. The buck grew to be known as the "Field and Stream" buck.

Conversation in the rumor-rich deer hunting community speculated that the buck is of world-record size. Dodge said he was certain the buck Decker killed is the same as the one in the video.

"That buck from the video is no longer walking around the woods of Buffalo County," Dodge said.

For trophy purposes, deer antlers are measured in inches. A total score is calculated with measurements including spread, beam length and tine length. Antlers are classified as typical or non-typical, depending on the shape and formation.

While declining to reveal the score of Decker's buck, Dodge said it would likely be "around 200 inches." The rack has several tines longer than 13 inches, he said.

According to the Pope and Young Club, the Chatfield, Minn.-based conservation organization that serves as official record keeper of trophy game animals taken with archery equipment, the world-record white-tail deer scored 204 4/8 . The deer was shot by Mel Johnson in Peoria County, Ill., in 1965.

The world-record archery non-typical scored 294; it was shot by Michael Beatty in Greene County, Ohio, in 2000.

Antlers must undergo a 60-day drying period before they can be officially scored.

Dodge estimated that Decker's buck was 3 years old - young for a deer with such massive antlers - based on an examination of the animal's teeth.

"What makes one animal grow so huge and another barely get antlers is one of the things that makes this so fascinating," Dodge said.

Buffalo County has become well-known among deer hunters for its relatively high density of very large bucks. It draws hunters, many of whom pay large fees for guides or access to certain land, from across the nation and beyond.

That's why Dodge said it was so notable that a normal, local hunter harvested the biggest deer in recent memory.

"It couldn't happen to a nicer guy, let me tell you," Dodge said.

Dodge said he was uncertain whether Decker's buck would be ruled as typical or non-typical due to two "stickers," or unusually-shaped points.

He is clear about what Decker should do next.

"I told him to put the deer under lock and key," Dodge said. "It will be attracting a lot of interest."

As for Decker, he appears to be maintaining his modesty.

"I'm not a better hunter after shooting this buck than I was before," he said. "I'm just a very lucky person."

The scoring will play out in the next 60 days.

Record or not, another thing is likely to happen in coming days: The buck will become known as the Decker buck.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
More...

http://www.leadertelegram.com/story-news.asp?id=BI83IS4NGG1 

Measuring up? Experts weigh in on trophy buck

By Julian Emerson and Joe Knight
Leader-Telegram staff

Debate about whether the much sought-after Field and Stream buck named for the outdoor magazine is a world-record deer started in earnest 2 1/2 months ago, and speculation about the topic has exploded since Bob Decker bagged the animal Saturday morning.

A Leader-Telegram story Monday detailed how Decker, of Eau Claire, shot the buck while bow hunting in Buffalo County between Modena and Urne. The deer attracted a feverish following among hunters near and far, who dreamed of shooting the animal hunting experts say could be a world-record typical buck.

Hunters and hunting experts who watched a video posted on the Field and Stream Web site in August showing the massive deer meandering through a Buffalo County woods marveled at its antler size. Several experts estimated its antler total could range between 220 and 240 inches, well above the world record typical buck, which measured nearly 214 inches.

Given the buck's startling potential antler measurement, hunters who have seen the buck since Decker shot it also have pondered whether the animal - a 16-pointer weighing 200 pounds when field dressed - is the new world champion.

"It's a phenomenal animal," said Jack Dodge, the 58-year-old owner of Dodge's Taxidermy in Elk Lake. "You only see a deer like that once in a lifetime."

Bloggers on the Field and Stream Web site have posted comments since Decker dashed the hopes of other hunters by taking the buck. Many said they believe the deer's antlers are typical, potentially making it the world record, while others contend the antlers are nontypical, possibly negating the buck's world-trophy status.

Antler classification depends on shape and formation. To be judged as typical, antler tines must come off of each antler's main beam. The tines also must originate on the top half of the beam.

In contrast, nontypical antlers can come in all shapes and sizes, and one side doesn't necessarily resemble the other. Nontypical antlers are much more common than typical ones.

Judges of antlers follow basic rules when deciding between typical and nontypical, but those decisions can be somewhat subjective, Dodge said.

"This could be measured as a typical. I just don't know for sure," said Dodge, who estimates Decker's buck was 3 1/2 years old.

Dodge declined to reveal a score for Decker's buck other than to say it would total somewhere above 200 inches.

Lu and Ken Zimmerman of Spooner, both certified antler scorers, examined photos of Decker's deer Dodge e-mailed them Sunday night.

Viewed from the front, the rack looks typical, but a photo taken from above shows two tines that appear nontypical, Lu Zimmerman said in a phone interview Monday.

Under the rather complicated measuring system scorers use to measure antlers, those tines could work against scoring it as a "typical" rack, she said.

"It's Boone, but it's not the new world record," she said. "If you look at the Milo Hanson buck (the current world record taken in 1993 that scored 213 5/8 inches), you'll see the difference."

Zimmerman said the rack will have to go through a 60-day "drying" period before being officially scored. Antlers this size, which will probably qualify for all of the record books, will be measured by a team of experts.

Dodge said the tines in question may make it a nontypical, but the jury is still out until it is officially scored.

"This is going to have to be looked at by a panel of judges. This won't be decided by one person," he said.

"It's either going to be something that's never been shot before or it's going to be a super-big nontypical," Dodge said. "I don't think Bob will be disappointed either way."

"It's a great animal, and if it's not the biggest, it's certainly the most popular whitetail around, with all the press that Field and Stream gave it," Dodge said.

Zimmerman said the deer likely will qualify for the Wisconsin record book; the Chatfield, Minn.-based Pope and Young Club's record book, which records archery trophies; and the Boone and Crockett Club's record book, which has the highest criteria. Most Boone and Crockett deer are taken with a gun, but archery deer also qualify.

The world record Pope and Young typical white-tailed deer scored 204 1/2 inches. That deer was shot by Mel Johnson in Peoria County, Ill., in 1964.

In 2004 Michael Beatty of Ohio shot the world record archery nontypical deer, which scored 294.

Until the scoring is complete, Dodge gave Decker some advice about the prize antlers: "Keep them in a safe," Dodge said, "and enjoy the attention this is going to bring."
'Pretty overwhelming'

Dodge was right about Decker's prize buck attracting attention. Both his home phone and cell phone have been ringing nearly constantly since Saturday night, often simultaneously.

Decker was besieged by calls during the weekend from friends and family as word of his hunting exploit spread. On Monday the media joined in, creating a nonstop stream of questions about the buck.

On Sunday afternoon, as Decker discussed the buck with a group of hunters, his cell phone spit out musical tones every couple of minutes. Decker's phones continued to ring into the early hours of Monday morning, and after Decker slept for only a few hours the calls about the buck started again.

"It's been pretty overwhelming," Decker said.

Ed Culhane's Monday was similarly busy. The state Department of Natural Resources public information officer said he was inundated with phone calls from media outlets interested in interviewing Decker.

"There certainly is a lot of interest in this deer and this story," Culhane said.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
15 years ago
Holy crap. 3 1/2 years old? That is an amazing specimen. $$$ cha-ching$$$. Wisconsin tourism revenue... Remember to tell those Bares fans headin' north you have to get out of your car BEFORE you take your shot...
Cheesey
15 years ago
My opinion is that it will be measured as a "non typical". If it is measured as a "typical" the strange points that jut out will actually lower the score, thus putting it well below 200 inches.
For a "typical" to score high it should be as symetrical as possible on both sides.
JMO of course.
Either way, i would be THRILLED to take a buck that big!
Keep us updated on this monster, ok?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (17h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (19h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (21h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.