Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20081021&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=81021161&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=318&Border=0[/img_r]Cornerback Al Harris believes he will be able to handle his regular workload as a starter even though he has missed the last four games with a spleen injury.

The Green Bay Packers likely will have Harris back on the practice field on Monday when they return from their bye weekend. If Harris makes it through the week of practice, he is expected to play Nov. 2 against the Tennessee Titans.

Im ready to go, Harris said Tuesday. Im in shape. Ive just got to wait and see.

The Packers have not declared how they plan to use Harris, assuming he is cleared to return next week. Given how well Tramon Williams has played in his place, the Packers might be inclined to ease Harris into the rotation perhaps by putting him in Williams old role as the nickel or No. 3 cornerback.

He needs to be cleared first medically, coach Mike McCarthy said. Once we get over that first hurdle and as we get through a week of practice, that will probably answer (whether Harris will start).

In his first locker room interview since he partially tore his spleen on Sept. 21 against Dallas, Harris said he would be willing to accept whatever role the coaches had in mind.

However they want to use me, Harris said, thats up to them, totally.

Harris initially thought he sustained a rib injury when he collided with linebacker A.J. Hawk during the Dallas game but knew something more serious was wrong when he noticed blood in his urine.

He returned to practice on a limited basis last week and took part in some individual drills and worked out with the strength and conditioning coaches on the side. Immediately after the injury, he could do nothing absolutely nothing, he said for one week.

Theres no treatment for it, Harris said. Your body has to heal on its own when it comes to an injury like that.

After a week, he began some lightweight lifting and conditioning on stationary equipment but he could not run because he said he couldnt do anything to shake up your insides.

Harris said he planned to remain in Green Bay during the bye week.

Getaway day
[ul]Players were excused for the week on Tuesday after a morning filled with meetings at Lambeau Field.

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers said he would remain in town to receive treatment on his sprained throwing shoulder today, then would head to California, where he planned to see his brother Jordan make his first start at quarterback for Butte College, the same junior college Rodgers attended.

Rodgers said the Packers have arranged for him to receive treatment on his shoulder while he is at home. Hes hoping the week off does wonders.

Im not sure how its going to respond, Rodgers said. Hopefully, positively. It could clear up in the next couple of weeks. It could be something I deal with all season. Were not quite sure.[/ul]

Jones recovering
[ul]Receiver James Jones said he believes his injured right knee will be healed after the bye.

Jones sprained his posterior cruciate ligament in the Aug. 22 preseason game at Denver. He returned in Week 2 but reinjured it the next week against Dallas.

I just want to get it back to 100 percent and not go out there and be 85 percent and then reinjure it again, Jones said. McCarthy just helped me out, told me well put me out there when he feels the time is right and after the bye, I should be good.[/ul]

Punter is safe
[ul]Derrick Frost punted only twice in Sundays win over Indianapolis, but special teams coach Mike Stock was pleased with his performance.

Both of Frosts punts went into the end zone for touchbacks, but both could have been downed inside the 10. Cornerback Jarrett Bush misplayed the ball on one of them.

Hes got to catch it, Stock said of Bush. We dont want those to bounce. We practice that, catching the ball.

Frost had struggled in previous weeks, and the Packers worked out several possible replacements. But at this point, it would appear Frosts job is safe.

I think each week hes gotten better, Stock said. Hes been really good in practice for three weeks and these last two, I think hes punted the ball very well. I think hes feeling more comfortable. Hes our guy. He was our guy when we brought him here.[/ul]

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I like Harris' attitude that he's okay with any role... or maybe he knows he'll be starter already? Either way, good attitude in the public.

Jones, I am starting to think this kid is a baby. I normally read players saying even if they're 85% they want to be on the field. This guy? Nah, he doesn't want to risk being hurt again.

And what the freak, our punter is safe? Bullshit, because if I see that prick I'm gonna break his toe so he gets IR'd. Stock says he's gotten better every week? No kidding, its not hard to do when you start out on the freaking bottom of the damn barrel of skill.
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
15 years ago
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/stats/leaders/NFL/PNT/2008/regular 
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
DGB454
15 years ago
I like Harris' attitude too. He is reaching his last few years in football and still can't wait to get on the field and contribute. Lead by example.
mkapp
15 years ago
Harris receives clearance
Cornerback expects to play after bye week
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Oct. 21, 2008

Green Bay - For most of the Green Bay Packers, the bye week will be about lying around the house, enjoying some free time and resting their bodies.

That, however, is not Al Harris plan.

He did that lying around thing four weeks ago after tearing his spleen in a nasty collision with teammate A.J. Hawk and it wasnt much fun. He was told not to do anything of a physical nature for an entire week and it nearly drove him crazy.

Now nearly 100% healed, Harris plans to spend the bye week getting ready to play football again so hes ready for the Tennessee Titans Nov. 2.

I feel great, Harris said before exiting for the teams five-day leave. Im going to go at it hard. My whole thing is get back into football shape. Thats it, really. By the time the game comes around, Ill be totally healed.

Im cleared now. If we had a game this week, Id play.

There is some question about how quickly the Packers will return Harris to his starting right cornerback position. After missing four games, hell have some rust to shake off, but given how hard and physical he practices it probably wont take him too long to get back into the swing of things.

While he was gone, nickel back Tramon Williams played terrifically, picking off three passes and knocking down another three. In the last five games, dating to the Dallas contest during which Harris was injured, the Packers have given up six passing touchdowns. Only one was given up by Williams, who hasnt allowed one since giving up a 52-yard connection to Miles Austin against the Cowboys.

Whats more, the only other reception of 20 or more yards Williams has allowed since taking over the starting job was a 34-yard completion to Indianapolis Anthony Gonzalez on Sunday. He has committed just one coverage penalty during that time, a 5-yard illegal contact against the Colts.

I think Tramon did a great job, Harris said. I think he really came up big with us. Hes a good player; he was ready. Hes going to be a good player for a long time.

There doesnt seem to be any question that Harris will get his starting job back once he proves hes in shape because he still jams receivers at the line of scrimmage better than anyone on the team, and bump-and-run is a staple of coordinator Bob Sanders system.

Williams is smaller than Harris but he runs better, so there could be instances when the coaches use Williams to play man-to-man against a specific receiver. However, Harris has traditionally matched up against the other teams top threat and doesnt see that changing.

Im a matchup guy, Harris said. I would doubt (that) it (would happen), but if thats what they wanted to do. Hes played well. He probably gave up a couple of plays, but who doesnt give up a few plays? I think hes done a great job.

But were still in Green Bay and when it comes to matching up and playing man-to-man coverage, it starts and it stops here.

Cornerbacks coach Lionel Washington wasnt ready to declare anything about how things would be handled when Harris returns. In the Packers scheme, the third cornerback has played around 50% of the defensive snaps this season, so there is plenty of playing time to go around.

It will be up to Sanders to determine how the matchups go. For now, the Packers are happy they have an array of talent to play with.

Getting Al back is going to make us that much better, Washington said this week. Well be able to play more one-on-one coverage and do a lot more things with those other guys. It gives us a lot more options.

Harris doesnt anticipate any problems getting back into the swing of things. He said he was a little fearful when the injury first happened, but as time has gone by protecting himself hasnt been part of his mind-set.

Its likely he wont wear any extra padding when he returns. Mostly thats because the injury was the result of the force created internally when he collided with Hawk, not the result of a specific hit to the spleen area. The chances of him suffering a similar trauma are pretty slim and wearing a pad or flak jacket probably wouldnt do him that much good.

Your rib cage is protection enough for your spleen, Harris said. The nature of the injury was more from the shock of it. No ribs were broken.

It took Harris a week before he was allowed to lift any weights and more than three weeks before he was able to run. But last week, he took part in some individual drills with a weight jacket on and plans to step up the workouts this week.

When he gets back, he swears there will be no apprehension.

Thats not going to be the case, Harris said. I may be overly (physical). There may be a couple flags.
UserPostedImage
original_tjb
15 years ago

Im not sure how its going to respond, Rodgers said. Hopefully, positively. It could clear up in the next couple of weeks. It could be something I deal with all season. Were not quite sure.

This makes me nervous, hearing this from A-Rod and similar statements from Coach McCarthy.

I just hope they do not ruin this kid's arm, for lack of a backup.

::roll:
#1 Fan of Edgar Bennett, greatest of all known Packers in the observable universe.
UserPostedImage
original_tjb
15 years ago

Cornerback Al Harris believes he will be able to handle his regular workload as a starter...

Here is another valuable man that I hope does not come back on too soon and reinjure or seriously harm himself.

In this case, it is mighty good that the Packers have a few good DBs on the squad backing up Al Harris now. :walk:
#1 Fan of Edgar Bennett, greatest of all known Packers in the observable universe.
UserPostedImage
beast
15 years ago
Harris receives clearance
Cornerback expects to play after bye week
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Oct. 21, 2008

Green Bay - For most of the Green Bay Packers, the bye week will be about lying around the house, enjoying some free time and resting their bodies.

That, however, is not Al Harris plan.

He did that lying around thing four weeks ago after tearing his spleen in a nasty collision with teammate A.J. Hawk and it wasnt much fun. He was told not to do anything of a physical nature for an entire week and it nearly drove him crazy.

Now nearly 100% healed, Harris plans to spend the bye week getting ready to play football again so hes ready for the Tennessee Titans Nov. 2.

I feel great, Harris said before exiting for the teams five-day leave. Im going to go at it hard. My whole thing is get back into football shape. Thats it, really. By the time the game comes around, Ill be totally healed.

Im cleared now. If we had a game this week, Id play.

There is some question about how quickly the Packers will return Harris to his starting right cornerback position. After missing four games, hell have some rust to shake off, but given how hard and physical he practices it probably wont take him too long to get back into the swing of things.

While he was gone, nickel back Tramon Williams played terrifically, picking off three passes and knocking down another three. In the last five games, dating to the Dallas contest during which Harris was injured, the Packers have given up six passing touchdowns. Only one was given up by Williams, who hasnt allowed one since giving up a 52-yard connection to Miles Austin against the Cowboys.

Whats more, the only other reception of 20 or more yards Williams has allowed since taking over the starting job was a 34-yard completion to Indianapolis Anthony Gonzalez on Sunday. He has committed just one coverage penalty during that time, a 5-yard illegal contact against the Colts.

I think Tramon did a great job, Harris said. I think he really came up big with us. Hes a good player; he was ready. Hes going to be a good player for a long time.

There doesnt seem to be any question that Harris will get his starting job back once he proves hes in shape because he still jams receivers at the line of scrimmage better than anyone on the team, and bump-and-run is a staple of coordinator Bob Sanders system.

Williams is smaller than Harris but he runs better, so there could be instances when the coaches use Williams to play man-to-man against a specific receiver. However, Harris has traditionally matched up against the other teams top threat and doesnt see that changing.

Im a matchup guy, Harris said. I would doubt (that) it (would happen), but if thats what they wanted to do. Hes played well. He probably gave up a couple of plays, but who doesnt give up a few plays? I think hes done a great job.

But were still in Green Bay and when it comes to matching up and playing man-to-man coverage, it starts and it stops here.

Cornerbacks coach Lionel Washington wasnt ready to declare anything about how things would be handled when Harris returns. In the Packers scheme, the third cornerback has played around 50% of the defensive snaps this season, so there is plenty of playing time to go around.

It will be up to Sanders to determine how the matchups go. For now, the Packers are happy they have an array of talent to play with.

Getting Al back is going to make us that much better, Washington said this week. Well be able to play more one-on-one coverage and do a lot more things with those other guys. It gives us a lot more options.

Harris doesnt anticipate any problems getting back into the swing of things. He said he was a little fearful when the injury first happened, but as time has gone by protecting himself hasnt been part of his mind-set.

Its likely he wont wear any extra padding when he returns. Mostly thats because the injury was the result of the force created internally when he collided with Hawk, not the result of a specific hit to the spleen area. The chances of him suffering a similar trauma are pretty slim and wearing a pad or flak jacket probably wouldnt do him that much good.

Your rib cage is protection enough for your spleen, Harris said. The nature of the injury was more from the shock of it. No ribs were broken.

It took Harris a week before he was allowed to lift any weights and more than three weeks before he was able to run. But last week, he took part in some individual drills with a weight jacket on and plans to step up the workouts this week.

When he gets back, he swears there will be no apprehension.

Thats not going to be the case, Harris said. I may be overly (physical). There may be a couple flags.
UserPostedImage
obi1
15 years ago
I hope they bring Harris back a little more slowly than he wants to comeback. Williams is beginning to mature as a player and I'd like to see him continue to develop.

Williams has done a good job in the last 4 games and may be needed again in the near future with the age factor creeping up on Harris and Woodson.

It's good to see that in Harris' absence Williams has played with such passion and effort. Also, I think he is faster than Harris and presents a better upside.
blank
gbpfan
15 years ago
i'm glad al will be back and like the fact they may ease him back in switch him and tramon hope they are all ready when they play titans :icon_smile:
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (57m) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (1h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (4h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (5h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (15h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (22h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (23h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.