Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20081021&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=81021157&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=150&Border=0[/img_r]Going into training camp, defensive backs coach Kurt Schottenheimer endorsed Tramon Williams as a starting-caliber cornerback for the Green Bay Packers.

Given Williams sound play in the last four games while starter Al Harris has recovered from a torn spleen, the Packers have more reason to think Williams can be a worthy successor to Harris or Charles Woodson in the next couple of years in their demanding bump-and-run coverage scheme.

Definitely, Schottenheimer said Tuesday. Hes a very, very talented kid that has tremendous work ethic, and its like any young player, they have to have an opportunity to perform. What you hope is they get better with each experience. Hes done that. Hes certainly got a bright future.

Williams probably will lose his starting role over this weekends bye because Harris is expected back from his injury for the next game, Nov. 2 at Tennessee.

However, seeing Williams' development in game settings is important to the Packers both for the present, because he still will be on the field for about half the defensive snaps as the No. 3 cornerback, and for the future.

Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders scheme is predicated on having cornerbacks who excel in press coverage. The Packers' accomplished starters are approaching the end of their careers. Harris is 33, Woodson 32. So, General Manager Ted Thompson will have to keep the position well stocked for their departures.

Thompson has two young draftees in Will Blackmon (fourth round, 2006) and Pat Lee (second round, 2008) as developmental prospects, and he probably will add a cornerback or two every offseason because the position is among the most valuable in the game. Blackmon and Lee are relatively untested Blackmon has been the nickel back while Harris has been out, Lee the No. 4 cornerback whereas Williams has produced as a starter for one-quarter of the season.

Williams hardly has been error-free hes given up his share of receptions and blew a coverage last week against Indianapolis that allowed Anthony Gonzalez a 37-yard reception.

But overall, with Williams in Harris place the past four games, the Packers pass defense didnt decline noticeably. It played its best game of the season last week against Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning, one of the NFLs premier players.

Manning finished with an abysmal 46.6 passer rating for several reasons, but as important as any was Williams and Blackmons physical press coverage on outside receivers Gonzalez and Marvin Harrison. Woodson usually matched up with the Colts best receiver, Reggie Wayne, in the slot.

Clearly, there was a great deal of stress on our outside corners in this ballgame because of Peytons ability to throw the ball on the mark down the field, Schottenheimer said. If you looked at the Baltimore game (against Indianapolis the previous week), that tape, good gracious, it was scary. Our ability to stay in good leverage and good position on those guys was critical. I thought the play of the corners was the key.

Williams barely surpasses the Packers minimum height standards for a cornerback they require cornerbacks to be at least 5-foot-10, and hes 5-11 and he has a relatively slight build at 191 pounds. But he also probably is their fastest player at that position, has quickness and good leaping ability, and plays the ball well in the air. He showed all those skills in his two interceptions while in the starting lineup.

The first came against Atlanta, when he ranged off his man on what momentarily looked like an easy 12-yard touchdown pass to tight end Ben Hartsock. Safety Nick Collins bit too hard on a run fake on the play, which left Hartsock uncovered, but Williams saw him in his peripheral vision and darted for the corner of the end zone. Williams closed quickly and snagged quarterback Matt Ryans soft pass with one hand.

I was trying to make a play or force the quarterback to make a harder throw than a wide-open throw, Williams said. As I watched him, I thought maybe they had more field, but they didnt. (Ryan) didnt under throw him, but he didnt throw it fast enough.

On the second interception, at Seattle, he blanketed former Packers receiver Koren Robinson on a go route and after locating the ball, used his inside position as a shield for the easy interception.

It was basically textbook bump-and-running down the field, Williams said.

That Williams has developed into a possible starter is a surprise, because the Packers pro scouting staff plucked him off the street in late November 2006. Hed gone undrafted that year coming out of Louisiana Tech, signed with Houston as a free agent and was cut at the end of training camp.

He finished the season on the Packers practice squad, then made big gains in offseason workouts and practices and won a roster spot in 2007, when he started one game in a nickel package.

Though Williams isnt as big or strong as Harris (6-1, 190) and Woodson (6-1, 202), hes been physical enough to disrupt receivers routes at the line of scrimmage, then use his athletic ability to stay with them on their routes. He also has the temperament NFL teams look for in a cornerback, the ability to immediately shake off getting burned and stay aggressive the next play.

When he first showed up here, I didnt know a thing about him, Schottenheimer said, and I didnt see anything that had me all excited about him. But Speedy (cornerbacks coach Lionel Washington) said to me, This guys got something Schotts. I said, I havent seen it yet.

"He was on the practice squad that year. Then in the offseason, you watch him work, Speedy, youre right, this guys got some athletic ability. With that great work ethic, whatever skills this guys got, hes going to develop them.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I've wanted Lionel as our secondary coach for awhile and this quote here adds some fuel to that for me.

When he first showed up here, I didnt know a thing about him, Schottenheimer said, and I didnt see anything that had me all excited about him. But Speedy (cornerbacks coach Lionel Washington) said to me, This guys got something Schotts. I said, I havent seen it yet.

UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
I'm thrilled about Tramon's performance the last four weeks. makes me feel awesome about the present and the future of the Packers.
UserPostedImage
porky88
15 years ago

I've wanted Lionel as our secondary coach for awhile and this quote here adds some fuel to that for me.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

The secondary has played well though.

Maybe Marty will get hired this off season and he'll take his brother with him as the D coordinator.

I believe that's why San Diego let him go in the first place actually.
Pack93z
15 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I have said that for a few years.. [strike]105[/strike] 100% agreed.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
IronMan
15 years ago
I agree 185%!
gbpfan
15 years ago
glad to see that tramon is going to be a good corner :icon_smile:
zombieslayer
15 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Agreed.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (19h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (22h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.