IronMan
  • IronMan
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Near the end of the 3rd quarter, we had the ball on the Colts 14 yard line, and on 3rd and 10, McCarthy decided to run it. Why? Does he not trust Aaron to throw it in that situation? Play calls like this are starting to add up.

I know we won. Thats not the point. I just think we have a better chance of getting the first down in that situation if we pass it.
tromadz
15 years ago

Near the end of the 3rd quarter, we had the ball on the Colts 14 yard line, and on 3rd and 10, McCarthy decided to run it. Why? Does he not trust Aaron to throw it in that situation? Play calls like this are starting to add up.

I know we won. Thats not the point. I just think we have a better chance of getting the first down in that situation if we pass it.

"IronMan" wrote:

Easy, to catch em off guard. Like you said, 3rd and 10 run? You obviously didnt expect it.

Did it work? I honestly dont remember but I assume it didn't. They don't always. I think like 99% of Rodgers TDs are on third downs, so I highly doubt its a trust issue.

McCarthy is likely to win the coach of the week this week so...yeah. Had he got a first down, would this thread exist?
IronMan
  • IronMan
15 years ago
Well we got 3 yards so no it didn't work.

Look, I'm not complaining. McCarthy is a good coach, I just think that was a bad call. If it were 3rd and goal on the 14, and he ran the ball, would you still defend him? I mean, that would definitely catch the defense by surprise. But we would likely not get the first down either.

Whether or not the defense is expecting it, getting 10 yards on the ground doesn't happen very often. Pass is the better option there. I could understand if we were backed up in our own territory, and we run on 3rd and long to get some field position, but we were on their 14, and we run on 3rd and 10. Strange.
IronMan
  • IronMan
15 years ago

McCarthy is likely to win the coach of the week this week

"tromadz" wrote:

And he deserves it.

Had he got a first down, would this thread exist?

"tromadz" wrote:

Yes. It would have still been a strange decision.
Greg C.
15 years ago
Yeah, that was a real head-scratcher, more than any other call this year. I wonder if McCarthy was asked about it afterwards, because I'd like to hear his explanation.
blank
IronMan
  • IronMan
15 years ago
A fan asked him about this play on the Mike McCarthy show Monday. With a smile on his face, he said. "I thought we would get the first down." (followed by crowd laughter)

He then said, (I'm paraphrasing) "It was a safe call. I felt we had a good match up in that situation." He also said there was a run/pass option on that play.

Hopefully later this week they will have the video up, so we can see his whole response.
tromadz
15 years ago

If it were 3rd and goal on the 14, and he ran the ball, would you still defend him?

"IronMan" wrote:

Yeah. Packer coaches and whatnot always get the benefit of the doubt from me, cuz they're the pro's.

As far as the theoretical 3rd and goal from the 14 draw. Would I defend it? Depends on the SITUATION. What's the score? How much time is left?

If it's 3rd and goal from the 14, and we're up 10 with 1:32 left in the game. Yeah, draw city!

Situations.

I trust our coaches, despite some of the so-called head scratchers.

This reminds me of people complaining about why throw short of the first down marker on 3rd down, forgetting this team is awesome at yards after the catch.

Trust the coaches.
IronMan
  • IronMan
15 years ago

Trust the coaches.

"tromadz" wrote:

I do. That doesn't mean they are always right.
tromadz
15 years ago

Trust the coaches.

"IronMan" wrote:

I do. That doesn't mean they are always right.

"tromadz" wrote:

Nobody is always right, but he made the playcall for a reason.

There's tons of plays where I'm like "WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT!! RAHJH!" then I calm down and understand there's a method to the madness.

I honestly don't see the point in second guessing the playcalls, mostly because I think it would drive you batty! Like on draft day when we get nobodies and people are all 'rabble rabble rabble!'

But whatev. You disliked the call. It happens. I dislike every punt play because Frost is trash.
bozz_2006
15 years ago
trying to catch them off guard. weird call, yeah. it was supposed to be a weird call.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (25m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (38m) : Yes
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
27m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.