Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Accident kills childhood friend

Green Bay - Mark Tauscher knew something was wrong when he got a call from his brother around 5 a.m. Friday. Phone calls at that hour never bring good news.

Still, the starting right tackle for the Packers was stunned to learn that a close childhood friend, Troy Schmitt of Colby, had died when his minivan, stopped on railroad tracks, was struck by a train in Auburndale, according to the Wausau Daily Herald.

Tauscher grew up near Auburndale on a farm next to the Schmitts, and Mark and his brothers played sports and games with the nine Schmitt kids. The next neighbor was a mile away, so the families became close.

Troy Schmitt was only 37, a father of five children and a teacher of government and advanced placement classes at Marshfield High School since 1997.

Its hard. His brother and I are very good friends and Ive known Troy for a very long time, Tauscher said after the Packers beat Indianapolis, 34-14, Sunday. Its tough. I mean, its a tough situation.

Tauscher shared the news quietly with a few of his fellow offensive line but managed to perform well Sunday.

Its a tough time but you realize youve got to plug along and go forward, Tauscher said.

The offensive line, playing perhaps its finest game of the season, surrendered no sacks for the first time since the opener at home against Minnesota. To do so, the Packers held off talented pass rushers Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.

The Packers also moved the ball efficiently, with 186 yards in the air and 116 on the ground. On the offenses four scoring drives, the Packers moved the ball methodically on 13, 8, 11 and 12 plays.

Right now it feels good, left guard Daryn Colledge said. This was a defense we really felt like we had to lean on. If we could run the ball and wear them down and lean and lean and lean, we could slow them down a little bit.

Tauschers teammates said he was able to put his personal grief aside for the game.

We talked about it outside of the stadium. Its terrible, tackle Tony Moll said. I mean, you feel for him. Its really sad. It was something he was able to get through.

Added right guard Jason Spitz: Yeah, we talked about it, but of course Mark being the guy that he is, he handles everything. Hes a professional.

Tauschers father, Dennis, said the news was on Tauschers mind constantly, however. Mark and brothers Craig and Pat grew up with the Schmitt kids. To get out of working on the dairy farm, the Tauschers would often invite the Schmitts over to play basketball in the shed Dennis built for them. Dennis would find dented panels or broken glass after a Tauscher-Schmitt basketball game.

Their competitiveness carried over into the Tauscher baseball diamond and football on the Milladore farm in central Wisconsin, too. Losing Troy is almost like losing a brother, Dennis Tauscher said.

The boys were just like brothers to each other, he said. They were close in age, close in school, similar likes and dislikes and they were all country kids. It was obviously a tremendous, sad shock when this happened. It was like one big family. They picnicked together, they played ball together. Theyd come help us on the farm with chores and making hay. And wed go up and help them if they needed something.

Craig Tauscher and one of Troys brothers planned to stay at Marks place Sunday night before driving to the Marshfield area today. The families remained close even though the Schmitts had moved to Colby. Tauscher also plans to head home for the services this week.

I know hes going to make it to that ceremony because he thought so much of that family, Dennis Tauscher said.

Very sad ...
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
That happened minutes from where I work.. small world eh.

Prayers go out to his family and children.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago
That's too bad. I feel for that family.
UserPostedImage
mkapp
15 years ago
is it just me or does the event that happened seem like a suicide? IDK seems like horrible odds your van dies on the tracks and with a train coming you dont get out.

Either way sad to hear, and tough time for Tauscher.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago

is it just me or does the event that happened seem like a suicide? IDK seems like horrible odds your van dies on the tracks and with a train coming you dont get out.

Either way sad to hear, and tough time for Tauscher.

"mkapp" wrote:

I know what you are saying.........unless he tried to BEAT the train, you would think that if you can't get it running, you get out when a train is coming.
Same thing happened to the father of a girl that lived a few houses from me. Her Dad did that.........and they think it was on purpose.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (15h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (21h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.