Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20081015&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=81015183&Ref=AR&MaxW=318&Border=0[/img_r]Aaron Rodgers ranks among the top nine quarterbacks in the NFL in eight key passing categories and is playing through a debilitating injury to his throwing shoulder.

The Green Bay Packers are thrilled with the 24-year-olds sound play and toughness, and though six games as a starter hardly make a career, Rodgers performance is putting pressure on General Manager Ted Thompson to make a major, long-term investment in his quarterback.

Thompson has a big chunk of salary-cap room remaining this year, about $20 million, most of which he saved for in-season contract extensions for core players, and a key Nov. 2 deadline for salary-cap accounting is fast approaching.

Rodgers said Wednesday that to his knowledge, the Packers have not approached his agent, David Dunn, about a long-term deal.

But Dunn attended the Packers game at Seattle last weekend he also represents Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, who didnt play because of an injury and the Packers will have to begin working on some deals soon to get the most out of that $20 million in cap space. As the Packers next franchise quarterback, Rodgers ranks at the top of the list.

Id love to be here for a long time, Rodgers said.

Thompson could end up working on two especially expensive extensions this season, for Rodgers and receiver Greg Jennings, who have become the teams two most important players on offense.

Jennings, like Rodgers, is under contract through 2009, but the third-year pro is emerging as one of the top receivers in the NFL. The Packers will want to extend the contracts sooner rather than later, because the price only will go up if they play at their current levels.

Jennings is tied for eighth in the NFL in receptions (34), and more importantly, his 19.2-yard average per catch ranks third among the top 20 leaders in receptions and is an indication hes consistently providing big plays. This, on the heels of a 2007 season in which he averaged 17.4 yards on his 53 catches and scored 12 touchdowns.

Theyre definitely the core of the offense, defensive tackle Ryan Pickett said of Jennings and Rodgers. Signing them would be key.

Thompson, Dunn and Jennings agent, Eugene Parker, were unavailable for comment.

Rodgers is in the fourth season of his five-year rookie contract that included a $1.5 million signing bonus and paid him a total of $5,595,000 in his first three seasons. His base salary in his fourth season is $680,000, and hes missed out on lucrative salary escalators totaling up to $5 million last season and this year because he failed to reach play-time incentives as a backup to iron man Brett Favre.

As a first-year starter, Rodgers has been as sound as the Packers could have hoped through six games. His passer rating of 98.0 points ranks seventh in the NFL, and he rates highly in a number of other important categories, including average yards per pass attempt (seventh, 7.68 yards), completion percentage (eighth, 64.2 percent), touchdown percentage (fourth), interception percentage (ninth) and third-down passer rating (second, 120.9 points).

Hes also allayed some concerns about his durability and won the respect of teammates by playing through the sprained throwing shoulder he sustained in Week 4.

The organization will make a move when they feel its necessary, middle linebacker Nick Barnett said. I think (Rodgers) is a great player. I think hell be a great player for a long time to come.

The Packers are likely to extend at least one contract before Nov. 2. After that, any money paid to a player this year must be treated as a signing bonus, which then is prorated over the length of the contract for cap purposes.

With the $20 million in cap room, the Packers will want to count as much as possible on this years cap, and increasing a players base salary is the way to do that without spreading too much cost to future years.

Rodgers probably will be in line for a contract similar to those of Dallas Tony Romo and Jacksonvilles David Garrard, both of whom signed extensions in the last year Romo last October and Garrard in April.

Romo, whos emerging as a premier player and ranks third in the NFL in passer rating (103.5 points), signed an extension a year ago that gave him a seven-year contract averaging about $9.6 million a year. Most importantly, the deal includes $30 million in guaranteed pay (an $11.5 million signing bonus and $18.5 million in guaranteed salaries).

Garrard, who ranks No. 16 in the league in passer rating (84.5 points), became a full-time starter last year, and in the offseason signed a six-year deal that averages $10 million a year. Though that has a slightly higher average than Romo, its guarantees of $20 million is significantly less.

Though Jennings also doesnt become a free agent until 2010, he has become the Packers best playmaker and is in line for a lucrative deal when Thompson approaches him, likely either this year or perhaps in the offseason.

Earlier this week, Dallas signed receiver Roy Williams to a five-year extension after acquiring him from Detroit in a trade. Williams was going to be a free agent in the offseason but signed for an average of $8.1 million and $20 million guaranteed.

Last month, the New York Giants extended the contract of receiver Plaxico Burress, whose contract was supposed to run through 2010. His five-year deal averages $7 million and includes $11 million paid this year.

I think this was posted already, but just in case. 🙂
UserPostedImage
agopackgo4
15 years ago
TT better spend that money!!!!!!!!!
Rockmolder
15 years ago
I can't imagine that he would let those guys go. He'll be chased out of GB by an angry mob if he does.

On the other side, it's still early in the season. Although I don't think Rodgers will be horrible after a while, there's always a possibility. I mean, look at Anderson last year. Or even Ryan Leaf's two first games 😛
agopackgo4
15 years ago
I could see that for A Rod. But not for Jennings. You know exactly what you got with him.
IronMan
15 years ago
Greg Jennings = Class.
dhazer
15 years ago
i say invest in Jennings and hold off on Rodgers. Jennings has proven himself.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago
If you hold off too long on Rodgers though, you are in danger of pushing his value up. If he keeps playing like he has been so far, his cost to the Packers will go up.
UserPostedImage
millertime
15 years ago
These two guys deserve raises.

Jennings has been nothing less than amazing.

A-Rod has stepped up and turned a no-win situation (replacing Brett on a Super Bowl caliber team) into a great start to his career. We need to ink these guys. Jennings and Rodger should both get about 7-8 million per year IMO.
bozz_2006
15 years ago
i'd imagine ted will try to get them signed this season with signing bonuses taken from this year's cap, give them modest ($5 million per year) base contracts, with sizable performance incentives
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (3h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (14h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (14h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (20h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.