Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Chillar the weapon of choice for countering key position

[img_r]http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/oct08/tchillar1016.jpg[/img_r]Green Bay - He went from starter to role player but Brandon Chillar feels just fine about his decision to sign with the Green Bay Packers in the off-season.

A quick glance at the National Football League standings will help explain why.

The Packers are 3-3. The St. Louis Rams, Chillar's former team, have already fired their coach after a near-mutiny and have a 1-4 record.

"Of course that has something to do it," Chillar said. "This is a winning organization. This team has a lot of chemistry and it helps you just to buy in and do whatever you can do."

Chillar, who started 29 games the previous two seasons, has been a jack-of-all-trades with the Packers. Although his main role has been on special teams - he leads that unit with 10 tackles - Chillar has emerged as the Packers' best defender against tight ends. He got a surprise start at strong-side linebacker in place of Brady Poppinga against the Dallas Cowboys, and had a big pass breakup Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks.

With the Indianapolis Colts and dynamic tight end Dallas Clark coming to town Sunday, it would not be a surprise to see Chillar utilized once again.

"I think he's a long guy, gets his hands on guys and he's taken pride in wanting to cover the tight end," said Poppinga, who sees his playing time cut when Chillar's increases. "That's the role he's sort of fallen into right now. He's done a great job."

Chillar, who wanted to sign with the Arizona Cardinals but didn't because of a salary-cap snafu, is in Green Bay because Poppinga and others struggled to cover tight ends last season.

Through six games in 2007, the Packers allowed opposing tight ends to record 41 catches for 472 yards and three touchdowns. They also gave up four 100-yard games to tight ends in the first eight games.

Through six games this season, opposing tight ends have 26 catches for 245 yards and two touchdowns. The Minnesota Vikings had the high-water mark with seven catches for 77 yards.

The Packers made the biggest improvement in keeping tight ends out of the end zone. Last season, touchdown receptions by tight ends represented 39.1% of all passing scores the Packers surrendered (nine of 23). This season, it's 22.2% (two of nine).

The difference certainly can't be attributed solely to Chillar - he has not played that much and the safeties have been more involved in tight-end coverage - but his teammates know his value.

"He was a great addition for our team," safety Nick Collins said. "Last year we just had some trouble with the tight end. Now we really don't have to focus on the tight end. We have Chillar, and the safeties are going down on the tight end half the time. We just made it our priority to do a better job against the tight ends. And we're doing a better job this year."

Clark could provide the toughest challenge to date. Although the 6-foot-3, 252-pounder has struggled with injuries this year, he set career highs a season ago with 58 receptions for 616 yards and 11 touchdowns. In the Colts' offense, the six-year veteran is a pseudo-receiver and has the speed to fill the role.

"The thing about him that is really good is he makes everything look the same, whether he's going up the seam, (doing an) out cut or in cut," Poppinga said. "For a defender, it makes it hard to cover."

The Packers won't admit it but they added Chillar - their only major free-agent signing - because of matchups against players like Clark.

At 6-3 and 243 pounds with long arms and good speed, Chillar is the only Green Bay linebacker who can physically match tight ends like Clark, and some of the others the Packers have seen or will encounter down the road: Jason Witten (Dallas), Jeremy Shockey (New Orleans), Bo Scaife (Tennessee), Greg Olsen and Desmond Clark (Chicago) and Marcedes Lewis (Jacksonville).

Coach Mike McCarthy has indicated that A.J. Hawk, whose playing time has been cut in recent weeks because of a groin injury, will be back at his nickel linebacker spot against the Colts but Chillar could be utilized as well. Since the Colts like to run a no-huddle offense to keep opponents from substituting, Chillar could remain on the field because he is so versatile.

Keep in mind, Chillar's ability to do so many things is the reason why he's been a valuable addition to the Packers. As to whether he's a starter or reserve, Chillar thinks those are just labels.

"I'm satisfied," Chillar said. "Not being a starter anymore, that's not as hard as people would think. If you have the right mind-set and realize that your value can be measured in so many ways, then it's an easier transition. I know my role. I think I've done a good job at filling it, and I look forward to more opportunities."

UserPostedImage
digsthepack
15 years ago
I love how both Chillar, and moreso, Poppinga, have handled this situation. Both take the position, "If it makes the team better.....", which is how it should be.

I just cannot imagine this working without great leadership (MM); quality tempermant/intellect of the players; and great chemistry.

Kudos to these players!
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
zombieslayer
15 years ago

I love how both Chillar, and moreso, Poppinga, have handled this situation. Both take the position, "If it makes the team better.....", which is how it should be.

I just cannot imagine this working without great leadership (Mike McCarthy); quality tempermant/intellect of the players; and great chemistry.

Kudos to these players!

"digsthepack" wrote:

Agreed.

That's the kind of attitude I like seeing.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
gbpfan
15 years ago
i agree with leadership but i think the way they rotate the guys to keep them fresh or now harris may be back they will have him there at corner i think when the players have a chance to play in every game is why you don't have disgruntled players but the coaches have to let guys know dont be lazy or your gone type attitude :icon_smile:
millertime
15 years ago

I just cannot imagine this working without great leadership (Mike McCarthy); quality tempermant/intellect of the players; and great chemistry.

Kudos to these players!

"digsthepack" wrote:

+1
Fan Shout
dfosterf (17h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (19h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (21h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.