Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 1:55:46 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

I might merge this too, but maybe it deserves it's own thread? We'll see.

http://profootballtalk.n...in-favre-vikings-sequel/

Quote:
The good folks at Yahoo! Sports have occupied a foxhole at the front of an interesting theory.

Brett Favre's second year in Minnesota will result in a massive failure.

Jason Cole has supplied the reporting, and Michael Silver has fashioned a compelling op-ed item that spells out the situation in cinematic terms.

"Every so often ('Caddyshack II,' 'Basic Instinct 2,' 'Legally Blonde 2: Red, White and Blonde'), a sequel is so atrocious that it sullies the memory of the original and leaves us feeling dubious about everyone who had the misfortune of participating," Silver writes.

Silver has even offered a suggested title for Favre's return -- Stick It To Ted 2: It's Not About The Money.

Silver points to the current sense that Favre doesn't respect coach Brad Childress, and Silver points to the mess that emerged in December after a frustrating loss to the Panthers.

And that's what will determine success or failure of Favre's second tour in 2010. Last year, it all came easily for Favre and the Vikings with a schedule that started with wins over the hapless Browns, the lowly Lions, the non-playoff-making 49ers (barely), the Packers, the 1-15 Rams, and the Ravens (barely). The Vikings then lost at Pittsburgh, which at the time was one of the best teams in the league. Next came wins against the Packers, the lowly Lions, the imploding Seahawks, and the overmatched Bears.

The Vikings' rough patch came in December; on Wednesday Favre said he played his best football that month. But the Vikings still lost three of four games, and along they way they blew their shot at forcing the Saints to come to the Metrodome for the NFC title game.

This year, the schedule gets a lot tougher, with six of the first seven games against the Saints, Dolphins, Jets, Cowboys, Packers, and Patriots. If the Vikings sputter, there likely will be more of the same frustration that followed that ugly loss to Carolina. And with that frustration surely will come more reports of friction between Favre and Childress.

We're not prepared to predict that the wheels will come off. But if the Vikings somehow manage to get off to the same start in 2010 that they managed last season, this will be the best sequel since Godfather II.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 2:00:04 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

Okay, I just read this and first thought is I don't agree with it. I do not think the Vikings will match last year's "magic", but I am not seeing disaster either. I still see them finishing just slightly over .500.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Brett chuck it for over 3,500 with high 20's TD's and mid teens for INT's.
UserPostedImage
Offline ILikeThePackers39  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 3:46:46 PM(UTC)
ILikeThePackers39

Agreed - I don't see this total meltdown happening at all. I do think the Vikes' O-line needs to get their big boy pants on, though, because I'm sure teams are going to try to beat the tar out of him this time around - and as nails as he is, that body isn't going to put up with much more abuse without starting to fall apart.

I still see them as easily the toughest opponent the Pack will play this year, and I'll be shocked if they're not right at or around the top of the division. I can see a falloff from last season, but not a meltdown.
blank
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 4:09:46 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

I've been predicting 10-6 for a while now, and unless something emerges to drastically change my perspective, I'm sticking to it.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 4:16:08 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

Lets see...

Harvin not up to speed.. Rice thinking he is better than he his and skipping camp (yes, claiming injury ;) ), Peterson miffed about the contract..

Combine that with an offensive line that I am not sold on.. and a defense that IMO, like us, still has a ton of questions on it.

And Brett playing lights out.. and doubtful that he can repeat all the magic.

So could it happen.. a disaster.. yes... but I concur.. I see a let down but not a free fall.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 5:09:47 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

As 2009 was 1995 for us, I see 2010 being 1998 for the Vikings.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Formo  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 6:22:43 PM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

I am somewhat concerned about the QB position. Someone mentioned it earlier in another thread, but I'm not sold on if Favre's heart is really in this. Considering how close he was to finally checking out. So I'm not sold from that aspect. Now, as far as a meltdown (Favre/Chilly bout, etc).. Not gonna happen. Will they butt heads? Yes. I'll call it now that they will in fact butt heads. That's not to say the team is melting down, but to say both Favre and Chilly has strong personality types.. especially in a midst of a very competitive sport.. It's bound to happen. That doesn't bother me like it does to what seems like most.

I'm more concerned, though, about the O line getting better, and our run game (who's the number 2 back? The Draft says Toby, but everything else says Young) than I am about Favre.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline RaiderPride  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 7:25:18 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 101
Applause Received: 190

I predict his body just will not make it past 10 games.

That is what is going to kill this team. He will be hurting early, will refuse to come out. Eventually, a single straw breaks the Iron Man's back.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Offline bozz_2006  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 8:56:04 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 12

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

That is what is going to kill this team. He will be hurting early, will refuse to come out. Eventually, a single straw breaks the Iron Man's back.

I've been thinking that for years. Never happens.
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 12:55:56 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 354

Formo kept saying a phrase that i agree with.....as far as Childress and Favre, BUTT HEADS!!!LOLOL!!!

My feelings are this: If the Vikings start out well, they will have a decent year. If Favre screws up, and they lose 3 of their first 4 games, the wheels will fall off and they will die a quick death.
JMO of course.
UserPostedImage
Offline dingus  
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:06:03 AM(UTC)
dingus

Applause Given: 14
Applause Received: 19

I've been thinking that for years. Never happens.[/quot

He hasn't been 40+ for years. I'm 42 and Age caught up with me overnight it seems. I can't imagine how he puts himself through it year after year.
blank
Offline IronMan  
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:55:47 AM(UTC)
IronMan

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 30
Applause Received: 56

I've been thinking that for years. Never happens.
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:51:50 AM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 286
Applause Received: 266

Favre had an easy start to get his feet wet last year. This year it starts off as tough as it gets. Rice may miss that game and more. Harvin could blow at any time. One of their promising rookies went on IR already. Their O-line looks weak so far this year. Their backup to AP is a Rookie and is not durable. Their secondary has a rookie fighting for a spot with old guy with a bad foot.

Last year they struggled to beat anybody 8-8 or better. This year 6 of the first 8 are at least that good and better. Better than Chicago, Carolina, Baltimore and SF were.

Jared Allen is over rated because he got over half of his sacks against our 2nd and 3rd string tackles. Against starters, he had 7 in 14 games. The rest of their D line is great. Their LBs also benefit from not being blocked. Like when Urlacher was good. When he had a Tank in front of him.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline DakotaT  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:58:21 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 642
Applause Received: 1,320

Favre had an easy start to get his feet wet last year. This year it starts off as tough as it gets. Rice may miss that game and more. Harvin could blow at any time. One of their promising rookies went on IR already. Their O-line looks weak so far this year. Their backup to AP is a Rookie and is not durable. Their secondary has a rookie fighting for a spot with old guy with a bad foot.

Last year they struggled to beat anybody 8-8 or better. This year 6 of the first 8 are at least that good and better. Better than Chicago, Carolina, Baltimore and SF were.

Jared Allen is over rated because he got over half of his sacks against our 2nd and 3rd string tackles. Against starters, he had 7 in 14 games. The rest of their D line is great. Their LBs also benefit from not being blocked. Like when Urlacher was good. When he had a Tank in front of him.

I think I have found my soul mate. Good analysis Dexter.
UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#15 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 11:21:19 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

I personally think the experiment was a smashing success. Applause
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed