longtimefan
13 years ago

Because journalism as we traditionalists think of it is essentially dead. What now passes for news is now little more than rumormongering , .

"Gravedigga" wrote:

No kidding. I didn't believe it from the start because I woke up that day and I heard "anonymous source, favre texts he's done". It seemed like within 10 minutes, every network had this as the #1 story all day long. They interviewed it seems like 50 different atheletes, coaches and former teammates on the subject asking for their reaction and "can they believe it" all the while their source was an unnamed source.

ESPN wanted this to grow so it grew. Maybe they pay Favre a million dollars for fake retirements so they can run with it and jack up their ratings for a few days. That kind of news and ratings is worth so much money in ratings I wouldnt doubt it or that they at least have a policy to report misinformation for the sake of ratings. It was ESPN's only story all day long the first day and even after the story was refuted, it was still a story. On the bottom line, it showed the story was not accurate while the show was saying he's retiring. Just a big fucking media joke of misreporting and conflicting information. The story was obviously not accurate but they just go ahead with it anyway.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

So if a reporter whose job is to inform public of sport related stories is STILL sticking to his guns is the liar??

If he and Glazer are wrong their CAREER is gone the tubes..

But if Brett lied he still can play and make millions..

That is my major issue the Brett supporters REFUSE to even admitt there is a chance Brett is lying..Even tho it has been proven time and time again with direct quotes from Brett showing he was lying...

People still say he doesnt lie

the reporters tweets defending himself

# @SkolVikes26 Nope, he was saying he was told by teammates they had received the texts. 12:36 PM Aug 4th via TweetDeck in reply to SkolVikes26

* Retweet

#

Are you aware people lie each and every day. RT @TheRealAxelRod: @JuddZulgad Bottom line...you're saying Favre is a liar? 12:34 PM Aug 4th via TweetDeck

* Retweet

#

Do u know that? RT @rpwhales11: @JuddZulgad @heidirose5 who cares, he never contacted chilly or zigi, that's all that matters. 12:33 PM Aug 4th via TweetDeck

* Retweet

#

Don't care. That's not my job. RT @sjestus: @JuddZulgad so what's up with this Favre sex scandal that's about to blow out of control? 12:33 PM Aug 4th via TweetDeck

* Retweet

#

Shiancoe said it on the record. That wasn't a joke. Don't be fooled. RT @daanderson20: @JuddZulgad WHO GOT THE TEXT?!? Cite a source. 12:32 PM Aug 4th via TweetDeck

* Retweet

#

@MNVikingsGuy Favre won't the first or the last guy in pro sports to do so. 12:32 PM Aug 4th via TweetDeck in reply to MNVikingsGuy

* Retweet

#

Have no idea what he'll do but he sent texts. RT @heidirose5: @JuddZulgad What are u saying--Favre is retiring but wants to keep it secret? 12:30 PM Aug 4th via TweetDeck

* Retweet

#

Nope, they weren't taken out of context at all. RT @MNVikingsGuy: @JuddZulgad it's likely the Favre texts were taken out of context.

Again Shiancoe said it on record that he saw the texts...Why would he take the chance to look like an ass in front of everyone?

Stop being blinded by the Brett persona
Formo
13 years ago

If he and Glazer are wrong their CAREER is gone the tubes..

"longtimefan" wrote:

Absolutely wrong.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Yeah, Brett lied and it's obvious why. He was ready to call it a career and now the Vikings and their players have made him go back to the drawing board. We all say Brett can't make up his mind, he did and now the Vikings have convinced him to reconsider his decision. Irony?

Brett's going to lie about sending those texts and really, who could blame him? If he were to admit he sent them, the media would twist certain comments around to make it worse than it is.

If he simply lies, says no texts were sent, it's easier to get people off your back, in this situation.
UserPostedImage
13 years ago

Yeah, Brett lied and it's obvious why. He was ready to call it a career and now the Vikings and their players have made him go back to the drawing board. We all say Brett can't make up his mind, he did and now the Vikings have convinced him to reconsider his decision. Irony?

Brett's going to lie about sending those texts and really, who could blame him? If he were to admit he sent them, the media would twist certain comments around to make it worse than it is.

If he simply lies, says no texts were sent, it's easier to get people off your back, in this situation.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

It puts his teammates into a great situation. Now they're the liars.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

It puts his teammates into a great situation. Now they're the liars.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

And I bet they don't care, since none of them went on record saying Brett texted them he was finished. And even if its known who said he texted them, they probably don't care. Because, who's going to remember that in a year? Who's going to care once the first kickoff takes place in the regular season?

Brett probably even sent them texts apologizing for making them liars and then saying hope you understand. And I'm sure they do.

Brett lying, is not really a big story, not a big deal when you look at the large scope of things. Pick your battles and be there at the end to win the war.
UserPostedImage
dhpackr
13 years ago

Brett did not lie 

After spending a few days in Minnesota, the events of the latest chapter in Favre's long-running soap opera now appear much clearer. Here is the story, from the inside.

Favre indeed sent text messages to teammates telling them he was forgoing his 20th season, citing his health as the reason. According to sources, while the texts seemed pretty convincing that he had made up his mind, the team wasn't letting their gunslinger slip off into the sunset without a fight.

In a two-pronged attack, the Vikings organization immediately jumped into action, offering him a much more lucrative package for this season and pleading with him to reconsider his decision. Simultaneously, veteran players immediately implored teammates to bombard Favre with texts or calls, asking him to give them one last shot at the Super Bowl.

As one source explained to me, Favre probably wasn't prepared for such an outpouring. When he left the Packers there wasn't much love, if any, from teammates asking him to reconsider. And there certainly wasn't any from Jets' players. But with this team, Favre was completely beloved, and for the first time, had an entire locker room figuratively pounding down his door like a husband begging his wife not to file for divorce.

"He's torn," said another member of the Vikings. "I think in his mind he was done, but loves the guys in this locker room and doesn't want to let them down. He didn't want to (come back), but I don't think he can say no to these guys. He's tortured."

"longtimefan" wrote:

what did brett lie about??

why is the source listed as you when the story is on MSN??

maybe if some of the packer players and executives acted in the same manner as the vikes, brett may have never left.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
dhpackr
13 years ago

LT... I think the article speaks more of the later years of Brett in Green Bay than he is trying to retract the events of last week.

It reads very much like a locker room in Green Bay that was age segregated from Brett more so.. without the large presence of veteran players for Brett to "hang" with. The younger locker room didn't hold the same "love" for Brett that he needed / wanted..

"pack93z" wrote:

what, i never got that impression, not at all. i think just the opposite, favre wanted to retire, his teammates on the VIKES felt without him they have no chance @ a Superbowl.

once it was evident his teammates and coaching staff really wanted him back, favre reconsidered coming back.

its really that simple...don't see why that is so hard to believe, and why some are so intent on smearing brett and make up how he lied about something
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

maybe if some of the packer players and executives acted in the same manner as the vikes, brett may have never left.

"dhpackr" wrote:

Two Words.

Aaron
Rodgers

If you can't figure it out by now, you never will my friend. The Vikings have NO OTHER OPTION, therefore they HAVE TO KISS BRETT'S FEET. The Packers had a potential stud in the making waiting for his chance.

Two completely different situations. Recognize.
UserPostedImage
dhpackr
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Two Words.

Aaron
Rodgers

If you can't figure it out by now, you never will my friend. The Vikings have NO OTHER OPTION, therefore they HAVE TO KISS BRETT'S FEET. The Packers had a potential stud in the making waiting for his chance.

Two completely different situations. Recognize.

"dhpackr" wrote:

after last years playoff game, I recognize, and am a A-rod fan.
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago

but it is fun to see the double standards that the Brett worshipers have and I LOVE to prove them wrong

"longtimefan" wrote:

I think you base people who like Favre on one or two people on this forum. Which is not the norm. I have never said he's perfect. My whole point is that why do people care so much about this - lets say he sent all these texts and then denied it - how is that affect anyone? I think its stupid for ESPN to have a special, for NFL Network to have a special, for every columnist in the country to come out with views as of all this stuff are facts, etc based on anonymous sources without hearing anything from Favre or the Vikings. I think thats careless.

I didn't know that Shanicoe saw the texts personally and went on the record and said that - source? If he did, I don't understand why these reporters couldn't have waited until a public source confirmed the news. Oh wait, they can't because they have to get the Tweet out there first.

If all of this is a coverup to ensure that Favre doesn't look like a liar about the texts, the Vikings are the most cohesive unit in the history of sports. This is how it would have gone down:

1) Favre texts teammates and calls Vikings organization on Monday night
2) Favre plans a press conference or press release to retire
2) Vikings organization immediately figures out who Favre texted and contacts them and tells them not to say anything to the press
3) The next day, the players that got texts do not mention it to a lot of their teammates as I was watching on NFL Network and the reporter there said many of the players were geniunely shocked by the news that Favre retired
4) Favre's family members in Mississippi come out and lie and say they didn't know a decision was made
4) Childress comes out and lies to reporters
5) Longwell, Hutchinson, etc. all come out and lie, including Longwell releasing the text in which Favre says I'm going to be on the next flight to Minny because Longwell found a pizza buffet or something - WOW, does Longwell not want Favre to look like a liar
6) Favre talks to Maraccui Tuesday night, lies and says he has not decided yet
7) Favre wakes up Wednesday morning and goes to Oak High School to throw a bit to ensure that everyone believes his lie that he hasn't made a decision - and subjects himself to the media
8 ) Favre lies and says he didn't send texts that said he is 100% done

ALL of this lying to ensure that Favre does not look like a liar to the public? If you ask me, the truth is somewhere in the middle, like Favre was heavily considering retirement or whatever and it got blown out of proportion.

But overall, my point is the media is out of control when it comes to Favre - any journalistic integrity is thrown out. If it isn't from Favre or the Vikings, why does anyone (especially Packers fans) care? Either he'll be playing this year or not. Like what is the point of proving he lied about the texts or whatever, who cares. How do you know the Vikings didn't tell him "do not mention the texts" or whatever. It doesn't prove he's the anti-christ or whatever, it doesn't prove a darn thing!

Glazer's story is so high level, he doesn't get into any details. It didn't interest him at all about the lie? If these "sources" have already revealed all this to him, wouldn't they also release the conspiracy and say how the Vikings organization forced them to lie?

Overall, I don't care (as I think most people that like him don't) about how Favre acts off the field. For all I know he sent text pictures to a Jets cheerleader while married. I don't care. End result, I like how he plays on the field, its fun to watch, its entertaining, he gets you up out of your seat on Sundays and America LOVES to watch him - his games are consistently rated the highest. Thats why I watch sports, to be entertained, not to find a morally uncorrupt individual. This whole Favre lied about texts is a witchhunt that does not change a THING in the grand scheme.
blank