longtimefan
15 years ago

Running back Ryan Grant may have missed a cut-back opportunity or two, but for the Green Bay Packers running game to become more productive, the improvement will have to come from up front.

That was the view of the coaching staff on Monday after watching film from Sundays win over Seattle. The Packers ran a season-high 39 times (including 33 carries for Grant) but managed a modest 113 yards. Thats 2.9 yards per carry.

Grant gained 90 yards for an average of 2.7 yards per carry. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers got the other 23 yards on six attempts, including a 1-yard quarterback sneak for a touchdown in the second quarter.

Weve got the attempts where we want them, offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. Now weve got to get the yards per carry to where it needs to be.

Coach Mike McCarthy said Grant got a passing grade on his decision-making, meaning the coaches believe he came close to maximizing his yardage based on the holes that were there. That puts the onus on the blocking unit.

The biggest thing we told our guys in the meeting is that we have to finish plays better in the running game, Philbin said. Theres too many pictures of guys not finishing the block (and) a guy slipping off. Its not one position. There were times where we thought our fullback had to finish better, times where it was an offensive lineman, a tight end, and there were times when youve got the ball in your hands (and) youve got to break a tackle. Its never one guy, but we do have to finish better.

The Packers lacked a change-of-pace back on Sunday because backup Brandon Jackson did not play because of an illness. They activated DeShawn Wynn from the practice squad, but he played only in third down passing situations and did not get a carry.

From a production standpoint, we expect more, running backs coach Edgar Bennett said. Certainly the opportunities were there, and we have to continue to get the maximum out of those opportunities.

Promising rookie Kregg Lumpkin, who had one carry for 19 yards this season, wont get any more opportunities to help the running game. He was placed on injured reserve Saturday after he re-injured his hamstring in practice last Thursday. Having already missed two games, the latest setback would have kept him out for another six to eight weeks.

beast
15 years ago
As a former lineman, I hate to blame the lines because they usually get too much blame, and never ever get much credit when things are going good. But both lines are looking bad.

MVP so far are Colledge and Kampman.

Having Colledge as the MVP is crazy because he hasn't played that well, but the other are making more mistakes than him.

Kampman is missing some chances to be even better but is playing pretty well.

But after Kampman it deeps ever fast. Maybe injuries are holding Pickett back or maybe because the defense has been on the field too long, or maybe because their not deep at DT to give him a breather once in a while or most likely all of the above but he hasn't been close to as good as last year.

Like I said usually the line gets too much blame but I think it is them this time.

Also Grant missed some cut backs. But they weren't that big but they were small cut back lanes, and that better than running into the OL.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago

Also Grant missed some cut backs. But they weren't that big but they were small cut back lanes, and that better than running into the OL.

"beast" wrote:

Running back Ryan Grant may have missed a cut-back opportunity or two, but for the Green Bay Packers running game to become more productive, the improvement will have to come from up front.

CubanPenguin
15 years ago
I just wanted to add about Kampman while some games he doesn't seem to have much pressure he is getting double and triple teamed most of the time so it's pretty tough to make plays that way.

Looking at his sacks from the Seatle game one of them was when they left him one on one and he just crushed him then the other he was double teamed and he just smashed right between them. He is a beast, whether he gets the stats or not.
blank
Greg C.
15 years ago

MVP so far are Colledge and Kampman.

Having Colledge as the MVP is crazy because he hasn't played that well, but the other are making more mistakes than him.

"beast" wrote:

Colledge? That DID sound crazy at first, but because the line is struggling so much I had to think about it for a minute. I would say that Spitz has been the best O-lineman so far, by default, but really there is no MVP on the O-line.
blank
tromadz
15 years ago
Coaches blame linemen? So do I.

This is our big weakness, and its sad, cuz lineplay(on both sides) is more crucial than ANYTHING ELSE.
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
In a ZBS, you are never supposed to have runs for negative yardage or have no gains. McCarthy and Philbin have stressed that various times over the last few years.

There were at least a handful of runs for losses / no gains on Sunday.

If Grant was right in his decision making as the coaches say, I think it's about time to start wondering why exactly the o-line continuously seem to struggle with ZB in the early parts of the season under McCarthy.

Injuries may be a factor, I'm thinking they are limiting the ability to our o-linemen to cut block soundly. But if they are hurting you that bad, shut the player down for a couple of weeks to let him heal.

It's frustrating that the o-line struggles one week with pass blocking and does OK in run blocking, and the next week it has problems run blocking but does OK pass blocking.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Pack93z
15 years ago
My opinion, it is about time they start calling the true issue out.. the Oline has been a problem since Ted has taken over.. that isn't calling him out; just calling a spade a spade.

This group needs to pick up its focus weekly.. they can do it, they have done it at times. They just lack the consistency that it takes to become a very solid offensive line in the game.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
15 years ago

My opinion, it is about time they start calling the true issue out.. the Oline has been a problem since Ted has taken over.. that isn't calling him out; just calling a spade a spade.

This group needs to pick up its focus weekly.. they can do it, they have done it at times. They just lack the consistency that it takes to become a very solid offensive line in the game.

"pack93z" wrote:

Whereas OL was a strength under Sherman, it's a weakness under Ted Thompson . This is a simple fact.

I think this is something Ted Thompson will work on in the offseason. Don't be surprised if he trades down for more picks yet again to take some chances on more OL next year. I guarantee that this bothers him.

He may be thinking BPA, but OL will get a higher priority than anything else if remaining players on the draft board are close to equal.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
WhiskeySam
15 years ago

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Whereas OL was a strength under Sherman, it's a weakness under Ted Thompson . This is a simple fact.

I think this is something Ted Thompson will work on in the offseason. Don't be surprised if he trades down for more picks yet again to take some chances on more OL next year. I guarantee that this bothers him.

He may be thinking BPA, but OL will get a higher priority than anything else if remaining players on the draft board are close to equal.

"pack93z" wrote:

I'd be happy if he didn't trade down and just took the best lineman available with the first pick. I was hoping he'd do that this year instead of trading down to take a receiver in the 2nd round.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.