strobl2
15 years ago

We could always pick up Craig Nall again ;)

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Don't be surprised if CN is signed.
He knows the system,if something would happen to AR, or if management decides that Brohm and Flynn are not ready by the start of the season, Craig Nall will be the guy to come in.

IMHO he needs to be signed now, Brohm can be back-up, Flynn can be put on the PS.

A veteran back-up qb is hard to find, CN is a perfect fit.

"eap33" wrote:

If you put flynn on the practice squad he'll be picked up by another team.
blank
porky88
15 years ago
Matt Flynn has quietly put together a couple of nice pre season games. I'm not saying he's good enough to be the backup QB but he's done better than I think a lot of us would of expected out of a 7th round pick. He's been good enough to earn a roster spot on another team in my opinion.

Brohm has struggled and clearly doesn't look good enough to be the #2. You can't cut Brohm or put him on the practice squad. To much upside and he was a 2nd round pick after all. If you place Flynn on the practice squad he's going to probably get claimed off of it and put on someone's roster as a #3 quarterback.

That means the Packers might have to keep all three or simply risk losing Flynn.

Personally I think you have to make the risk. If you see a quality backup QB on the market then losing Flynn might have to be a necessary sacrifice.

He was just a 7th round pick so placing him on the practice squad is what I would do.

A guy like Luke McCown or Josh McCown would make sense to sign if they get released. Brad Johnson could be on the market if Dallas gets Chris Simms like people are suggesting. Even Chris Simms makes a little sense.

I thought the Packers intentions were to get Brohm and Flynn as many reps as they can and to do that they'd carry only 3 quarterbacks for most of training camp. Afterwards Flynn would be practice squad and Brohn to #3 and then a veteran would come in.

It turns out that plan may of backfired because the 7th round pick is playing better than the 2nd round pick. That puts the Packers in a tough spot.
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Matt Flynn wouldn't make it to the Practice Squad. Someone would snap him up.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
Well thought out Porky.. and I agree having your late round QB play better than expected in this case has backfired a bit.. but the pain it may cause this season should pay a nice little reward in the future.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
TheEngineer
15 years ago
Which team would be willing to put Matt Flynn on their 53 man roster?
blank
Packers_Finland
15 years ago
I for one thought Matt would be drafted way higher than that. Like on the 4th round actually. I think we should just keep these guys and not change anything. A-Rod goes down, Flynn does his best.
This is a placeholder
Greg C.
15 years ago
This is not a big concern for me. If you draft a QB in the first round, isn't it pretty much expected that he will be your backup as a rookie? Well, Brohm was drafted in the second round, but he was regarded by many as first round material and as a QB who was as NFL ready as any others last year. He's struggled a bit in training camp, but so do most rookie QB's, including Aaron Rodgers.

I would not have minded if Thompson went out and got an experienced backup, but as long as the rookies are looking okay, it's fine to go with them. You can't expect your backup QB to lead you deep into the playoffs if the starter goes down for the season. It happens sometimes, but it's rare. But you do want a backup who can win a couple games if your starter is out for part of the season. And Brohm or Flynn might be able to do that. They are still raw, but they should be improving week-by-week. It also helps that we have one of the better QB coaches in the league in Mike McCarthy.

My bottom line is that I'll take talent over experience almost any day.
blank
minnypacker
15 years ago
I'd be chatting with Tim Rattay. He would be a solid back up and knows the system. If Rodgers goes down, sign Rattay imediately. Craid Nall would be okay as well.
Packnic
15 years ago
forget a Vet. like Greg said. If the starter goes down so does a teams hope of a deep playoff run. might as well start grooming the successor right then and there in my opinion.

Think about this. Romo, Brady, Favre. All three were young inexperienced QB's on their teams roster that got their position because of injury to the proclaimed starter. Not one of those guys was expected to lead his team, and when they were called upon they answered the bell.

Am I saying that Brohm is Brady... no. What I am saying is that the potential of these two young QB's is higher than the potential of winning a Super Bowl with an aging vet QB who is ok with being a backup.
blank
Gravedigga
15 years ago

forget a Vet. like Greg said. If the starter goes down so does a teams hope of a deep playoff run. might as well start grooming the successor right then and there in my opinion.

Think about this. Romo, Brady, Favre. All three were young inexperienced QB's on their teams roster that got their position because of injury to the proclaimed starter. Not one of those guys was expected to lead his team, and when they were called upon they answered the bell.

Am I saying that Brohm is Brady... no. What I am saying is that the potential of these two young QB's is higher than the potential of winning a Super Bowl with an aging vet QB who is ok with being a backup.

"Packnic" wrote:

I agree with this. I say, coaches need to get Flynn and Brohm ready to start a game this season. We've already invested too much in Brohm to get rid of him and Flynn is ahead of him at this point.

Whatever it takes, get extra quarterback coaches in there and get all 3 guys ready to play a game. Spend some resources training these guys. Bottom line, the season is not over but it's highly questionable if we make the playoffs even with a healthy Rodgers all season. This team is all about young guys and building for the future so really, what purpose would it serve to bring in a guy like Rattay or Cullpepper or whoever. No free agent qb out there is gonna lead us to a playoff run especially since they have no chemistry with our guys. Lets not pretend that Rattay or anyone can come in and do what Favre did last year.

Not that anyone wants to see Rodgers go down but if it happens, it would be good for all involved to have Brohm and Flynn get some game experience for evaluation purposes just in case Rodgers does not work out.

I got a chance to see Brohm play a lot in college and i was very impressed. Flynn may be ahead of him now but I think once Brohm gets "it", he could be the best guy we currently have on our roster.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.