zombieslayer
14 years ago
Wow. He really sounded like a great person. Good read.

Good interview too. Nice to have you on board.

Also, nice to see the interviews back.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Arrigo
  • Arrigo
  • Registered Topic Starter
14 years ago
"Pop's" was a good person. He would give his last $2 for a friend in need. He trade to help everyone he knew in any way possible if they needed it (and even if they didn't).

But the youth was where his heart was at (other than his family). He would spend hours on end at the fields to make sure everything was alright. He would draft the kids that were "at risk youth" and kids who were from the wrong side of the tracks. He was one of those kids so he knew what they were feeling. He would help groom them into responsible young men that always showed respect. He would do it by showing them respect he felt they deserved as people and NEVER yelling at them. He would simply talk to them, man to man.

My grandparents raised me. They are my mom and dad as far as I am concerned. My mom had me @ 17 and my biological father bolted when he found out my mom was pregnant. My grandfather was my dad, best friend, confidant and my life's teacher.

My 1st year playing LL Baseball I was 7 going on 8. When I tried out they wanted to draft me to the "Majors" because I was better than most of the kids in the Minors OR Majors (they was no "Farm Div") despite being one of the shortest kids in the league. He didn't allow them to do so because he wanted to coach me for at least a year and wanted me to get a feel for the game. By the time I was 10 when I went up.

The team I was on was mostly made up of Mexicans and African-Americans, with a couple white kids. Well, when I was 12 we were playing a team that we were battling for the title (which we had won the previous 2 years). The umpire was a young kid who looked about 19. He made a comment to a parent before the game started. He said "I won't let that "spic" team get the win today, watch what I do".

I was pitching the first 4 innings that day. I threw countless balls RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE and he called them balls. While their pitcher got EVERY CALL. There were plays were we beat out balls hit to the infield but he called us out.

After the game he looked over at my grandfather (who was Italian American) and said "take that ghetto team back to the projects where they belong old man". My grandfather LOST IT. The ump was about 6'2, 200lbs while my grandpa was in early/mid 60's 5'8, 165 (but was a Golden Gloves boxer). Poppa went after him, he grabbed him by the shirt collar lifted him up against the fence and was just about to deck him when he heard our other coach say "he's only 17 Joe, DON'T"! He released him to the ground and the kid ran off to a waiting car.

He was suspended for 6 games, and as a team we went on to win all 6 games by an averaging 25 runs a game. We played for him. He defended us. Later that year at the closing ceremonies he won "sportsman of the year". LOL! It was great.

When I came back from college after I found out my then girlfriend (now wife) was pregnant with our daughter, my family was scared to tell him and scared for me to tell him. They thought he would disown me because she is African-American. It was a Tuesday night and he was painting our town house. It was me and him, alone. I told him. I wasn't nervous, I wasn't afraid, I was what he raised me to be, a man.

He was more excited then anyone else. He wanted my wife to move in and wanted me to marry her. I told him that I would, but not because she was pregnant, and I did. He loved her and all our kids as he loved me.

My grandparents moved back to Wisconsin in 2004.

When he was dieing I had to fly back to Milwaukee. I wasn't going to not be there for him. He had dementia and didn't remember anyone other than 1 of my cousins some times. But when I walked in his hospital room at the V.A. Hospital, and when he seen me, he smiled, and tried to sit up and started breathing harder. He knew who I was and we talked. He said in a tired voice "I aint going any where" when I told him it was Ok to go home (to heaven). He just kept touching my face. It was a shock to see me standing there to him. It was a day we both wished we had more often in the year after he moved to Wisconsin.

His room looked right into Miller Park. He was in the hospice section (I think the 3rd floor) and you could see right into center field. Only grandpa could have a view like that. Joe Di'Maggio was his favorite player growing up and loved that I also player CF.

Later that night we came back to the hospital and he wanted me, and only me to hold his hand as he fell asleep. I did. On November 3rd my grandma, mom, sister and I went back to see him. They wanted to eat and I wasn't hungry so I stayed with him in the room. He woke up and seen me. I told him that I loved him, he was my best friend and hero and I thanked him for being my father and teaching me how to be a man. He looked at me, with his beautiful face and said "I love you too". Those were the last words he ever said to me.

Sorry if I went on to long about him, and tearing up as I write this, but he was my Pal. He was the one person that could always relate to me and have my back no matter if I was right or wrong. He taught me to put God and my family first and everything else second. he taught me it was ok for a man to cry and show emotion.

When I started to write the rumors 6 or 7 years ago, he was my biggest fan. He would listen to the calls I would get and read the e-mails and just say that pro sports is a crazy business. He would read all the detractors and doubters and just say "have thick skin and don't respond, unless they get personal". I took his advice and still use it to this day.

He touched my life, but I was amazed at how many other lives he impacted. Every player that he coached while coaching me, still called him "Grandpa" till the day he passed on. He may be passed on, but his legacy will last forever.

Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work.
Hard work is the price we must pay for success.
I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price
longtimefan
14 years ago
wonderful story thank you for sharing
IronMan
14 years ago
Outstanding story Joe, and very well written.
dfosterf
14 years ago
Good story Joe.

You just might be a perfect fit for this place. Look around- we rag each other constantly...we fight, call each other names, etc.

We all get along incredibly well, and we went through the whole Brett thing, just like everyone else. It will also surprise and amaze just how many PC folk are here, just under a different "guise".

This is a fantastic forum, you only need to give it a week or two--seriously..
vikesrule
14 years ago
Arrigo, whenever a newly arrived Packer fan finds his way into this den of iniquity, I usually launch into a diatribe on the evils of cheese.
But I shall forego that for now.

Reading the narrative of your Grandfather truly touched my soul.

A man may acquired many materialistic things in his passage through life, but nothing can compare with the true legacy of what values and influence he passes on when his journey is done.
And your Grandfather lived a very rich life indeed.
The well deserved respect and admiration that you give to him is a testament to a very good life lived.
No better epitaph can be given than "He was good and honorable man".

And it looks like that values that he instilled in you, are being carried on.

I can definitely say that it would have been a true honor to have met your Grandfather.

There are some very good and knowledgeable people here, even if the vast majority are Packers fans.
And welcome to this forum. It is a pretty good place, too many cheeseheads, but overall not too bad.
::wink:
4PackGirl
14 years ago
first of all - welcome to the site, joe!

secondly - thank you for sharing so much of yourself with us. as a woman, i thought it was a rare quality to find in a man. since joining this site, i have found that to be completely untrue.

and finally - i also lost the man who taught me morals, values, my love of the packers, how to work, & how to be a loving person. i share your pain & rejoice in your memories!
Formo
14 years ago
Don't let foster fool you.. I hate everyone here, and I'm no friend of you Pucker fans!!! =P

Great story man. I know how you feel about your gramps because I feel the same for my father. I love hearing 'old' stories about other's grandparents, because their stories are always so interesting to me. I love it.

Welcome to the site, and don't get razzed too much!
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (16h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.