Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

EDITORIAL: HARD TO ROOT FOR FAVRE 
Posted January 24th 2010 at 10:00 am by Packer Update

While most of the country celebrates Brett Favres amazing success at age 40, Packer fans know better. They know one thing and one thing only that if No. 4 displayed even a sliver of the control and focus during the last 10 years of his career in Green Bay that hes shown during the first five months of his career in Minnesota, Cheeseheads of all ages wouldve been partying in the streets of Houston, Texas and Glendale, Arizona instead of tossing and turning in their sleep following brutal playoff losses to the Eagles in 2004 and to the Giants four years later. Yes, it hurts every time Favre the Viking throws a safe pass in lieu of unloading one of those season-ending prayers that Favre the Packer seemed to perfect in his later years with the Green and Gold.

Why is this version of Favre so much more careful with the football than the version of Favre that the entire state of Wisconsin used to know and love worship? The answer is quite simple he finally has something to prove. For the first time since the early 90s, the old gunslinger entered a season besieged by extreme doubt and heavy criticism. In fact, the din was so audible that even ESPNs constant ass-kissing couldnt drown it out. So Favre decided to prove to all the nay-sayers that an old dog can indeed learn new tricks. He simply decided not to throw interceptions. And it has absolutely nothing to do with coaching. Mike McCarthy and Tom Clements are about as good as it gets when it comes to working with quarterbacks. As far as Twiddle Dee Childress and Twiddle Dum Bevell are concerned, theyre far better at chauffeuring around a quarterback than they are at developing one.

It all comes down to accountability, or in the case of Favre and Green Bay, a lack thereof. While McCarthy was certainly demanding, how much could he really do by the time he took over as coach in 2006? Favre had long ago become bulletproof and he darn well knew it. How else can you explain all the people who blamed Mike Shermans fourth-and-one call, Ed Donatells 4th-and-26 defense and Bob Sanders inability to adjust against Plaxico Burress for excruciating playoff losses while at the same time being able to almost overlook two of the worst passes in postseason history? Lets face it, if Favre could come out of those two games virtually unscathed, he was indeed as invulnerable as Superman. And while thats a great trait for a Superhero, its not so desirable in a quarterback. The kid from Kiln needed to be humbled and thats just what took place in the weeks leading up to the 09 season.

That brings us to Favre and the Vikings. The more you watch this story unfold, the more youre reminded of Damn Yankees a musical comedy written in 1955 about a middle-aged fan named Joe Boyd who makes a deal with the devil in order to become a star outfielder for the Washington Senators. His dream is to help that struggling team beat the damn Yankees. The newly-coined Joe Hardy was willing to do almost anything to make that happen include selling his soul. Fifty-five years later, Brett Favre and the Minnesota Vikings are starring in an updated version of the play. In this adaption, a middle-aged quarterback and a desperate organization are willing to do anything to win a Super Bowl. That includes lying (Favre), tampering (Childress and Bevell) and cheating (Kevin Williams and Pat Williams).

So far, so good for Minnesota. Favre has enjoyed arguably the best season of his long career and the team is one victory away from a trip to the Super Bowl. But just remember, the Senators didnt win the World Series. Hardy ultimately decided that his prior life and his soul were more important than hoisting a championship trophy. And while Favre and the Vikings apparently have no such integrity, if theres such thing as karma, theyll run into their own version of the devil either tomorrow evening or in two weeks. So while its been difficult for the greatest fans in the NFL to watch whats been happening for the past five months, just think of how good itll feel when it all comes to a bitter ending. Wouldnt that be the best story ever?

UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago
Wait.. The majority of the country was rooting for Favre's success?! Every NFL fan site I went to couldn't WAIT for the Vikings to choke. Credibility was totally ruined in a record time of 1.2 seconds. I stopped reading after the first sentence. lol
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Wait.. The majority of the country was rooting for Favre's success?! Every NFL fan site I went to couldn't WAIT for the Vikings to choke. Credibility was totally ruined in a record time of 1.2 seconds. I stopped reading after the first sentence. lol

"Formo" wrote:

Easy. People love Favre. People hate the Vikings. It's a hard thing to deal with.
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Easy. People love Favre. People hate the Vikings. It's a hard thing to deal with.

"Formo" wrote:

Negative. Every person that has been cheering against the Vikes this year that I've run across that are NFL fans (note: None being NFC North team fans) has ALWAYS had an indifference towards the Vikings until this year's signing of Favre. Thus the foregone conclusion that NFL fans hated the Vikings this year because of Favre. Well, more like they had a big indifference towards the Vikes, but hated Favre. Thus, wanting the Vikings to choke. Besides, the Saints was the 'cool' team to cheer for. Unless you were a fan of another NFC South division team, of course.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
HatestheF.I.B.s
14 years ago
I agree with you Formo. Majority of football fans outside of the NFC North see the Queens as chokers somthing like the Bengals always close but not a threat to win it. Except now the fact Old man waffle plays for them, and he himself destroyed all his credibility in the majority of NFL fans eyes. While he can still play, his public image is shot due to an ever-boring season after season talk of packing up his toys or not debate. Face it if he wasn't a Queen you'd be sick of him as well.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

"Formo" wrote:

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Negative. Every person that has been cheering against the Vikes this year that I've run across that are NFL fans (note: None being NFC North team fans) has ALWAYS had an indifference towards the Vikings until this year's signing of Favre. Thus the foregone conclusion that NFL fans hated the Vikings this year because of Favre. Well, more like they had a big indifference towards the Vikes, but hated Favre. Thus, wanting the Vikings to choke. Besides, the Saints was the 'cool' team to cheer for. Unless you were a fan of another NFC South division team, of course.

"Formo" wrote:

lmao... okay then ... i see ur still bitter ... get over it ... jus think of the two times the vikings spanked the Packers this year, that'll wipe that bitterness off for a moment!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

While he can still play, his public image is shot due to an ever-boring season after season talk of packing up his toys or not debate. Face it if he wasn't a Queen you'd be sick of him as well.

"HatestheF.I.B.s" wrote:

You won't ever see him admit to this. Never. Instead you'll hear talk about how he's the Vikings QB this and that ... as if the 16 years in Green Bay (ahem Minnesota's rival) never happened. It's complete douche-bag response.

HAHAHAHA Formo's gonna have his panties in a bunchy now!!! hahahahahah

It was awkward seeing Favre as a Viking, but I don't know if it makes me dislike them more or less because of it. I know I lost respect for Favre after both of his unretirement ordeals. Maturity is often defined as making a decision and sticking to it. That leads to a whole different aspect of thinking with the Favre stuff though.

The Vikings are just garbage and a disgrace to the NFL. The list is endless with them from the Love Boat deal, right down to them using giant speakers to pump noise in their DOME, not to mention they have a DOME. (yes I hate dome's for football, every team that has one SUCKS!)
UserPostedImage
The_Green_Ninja
14 years ago

right down to them using giant speakers to pump noise in their DOME, not to mention they have a DOME. (yes I hate dome's for football, every team that has one SUCKS!)

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Then the whole "Open-Closeable roof deal must be a weird topic for you.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

right down to them using giant speakers to pump noise in their DOME, not to mention they have a DOME. (yes I hate dome's for football, every team that has one SUCKS!)

"The_Green_Ninja" wrote:

Then the whole "Open-Closeable roof deal must be a weird topic for you.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

OMGzzz brain overload!!!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (9m) : Yes
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (6h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.