wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
I got the following email and thought I would post it here. When I was at the site there had been 5.7 million votes cast and 97% were "yes". I find it interesting. I didn't think it would be much more than 70-75%.

Subject: US Today Poll on Gun Ownership

Obama's new Attorney General, Eric Holder, has already said this is one of his major issues. He does not believe the 2ndAmendment gives individuals the right to bear arms. This takes literally 2 clicks to complete. Please vote on this gun issue question with USA Today. It will only take a few seconds of your time. Then pass the link on to all the pro gun folks you know. Hopefully these results will be published later this month. This upcoming year will become critical for gun owners with the Supreme Court's accepting the District of Columbia case against the right for individuals to bear arms.

The Question is:

"Does the Second Amendment give individuals the right to bear arms?"

USATODAY.com - Quick Question 

UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Heh. It probably got passed around to gunowners. I've met a lot of folks here who want to do away with it.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

Heh. It probably got passed around to gunowners. I've met a lot of folks here who want to do away with it.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I am sure it did get passed around to hunters & NRA people. But there has to be people who oppose guns that read the paper online. They are not voting for some reason.
I just found it interesting that the number in favor was so large.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

"wpr" wrote:

I am sure it did get passed around to hunters & NRA people. But there has to be people who oppose guns that read the paper online. They are not voting for some reason.
I just found it interesting that the number in favor was so large.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

My seat-of-the-pants guess is that its the demographic of the readership. USA Today readership is skewed more to lower education level, conservative, etc, than the national average. On the other hand, those who opposed guns tend to be higher ed, less conservative, etc. on average.

I, too, am surprised that the number is quite as large, though.

On the other hand, I also think that the "mainstream reporting" (from CNN to NYTimes to old networks) has long underestimated the number of people who subscribe to the "individual right" reading. In fact, I'm hard pressed to think of another question where the mainstream media so frequently gets the percentages of "popular belief" so wrong.

I would love to see Pelosi and company try to get rid of the 2nd Amendement. IMO you'd see a bigger transformation of Congress than you saw in the Reagan years.

I keep hoping that one of my students is interested in taking the question on.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
dhazer
14 years ago
If they get rid of the 2nd amendment, what would be next the right to free speech? We are slowly becoming a communist nation believe it or not.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Believe it or not? No argument from me.

We're turning from a nation of can do people to please help me government people.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
MontanaBob
14 years ago
Try to get rid of that out here in Montana. Take away our home, car, wife or whatever, but don't even think about our guns, dogs and pick-up trucks. Ain't gonna happen here Charlie. LOL
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
Pack93z
14 years ago
Hmmm Holder reports to whom?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/ct-oped-0214-chapman-20100212,0,1860230.column 

Among the many groups that opposed Barack Obama's presidential race, few were more certain or vehement than gun-rights organizations. "Barack Obama would be the most anti-gun president in American history," the National Rifle Association announced. "Obama is a committed anti-gunner," warned Gun Owners of America.

So it's no stunner that after a year in office, the president is getting hammered by people who have no use for his policy on firearms. The surprise is that the people attacking him are those who favor gun control, not those who oppose it.

Obama's record on this issue has been largely overlooked except by the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, which recently issued a report card flunking Obama on all seven issues it deems important. Said President Paul Helmke, "If I had been told, in the days before Barack Obama's inauguration, that his record on gun violence prevention would be this poor, I would not have believed it."

Had he listened to the candidate in 2008, he would have believed. At a September campaign rally in rural Virginia, Obama declared unequivocally, "I believe in the Second Amendment. I believe in people's lawful right to bear arms. I will not take your shotgun away. I will not take your rifle away. I won't take your handgun away. .. There are some common-sense gun safety laws that I believe in. But I am not going to take your guns away."

The Brady Center must have hoped he was being less than honest. And he was: He had no intention of pushing those "common-sense" laws he had previously favored. On the list of issues for which Obama is willing to put himself on the line, gun control ranks somewhere below free trade with Uzbekistan.

So he has proposed nothing in the way of new federal restrictions on firearms. Even the "assault weapons" ban signed by President Bill Clinton and allowed to expire in 2004 has no visible place on Obama's agenda.

Not only that, he's approved changes that should gladden the hearts of gun-rights supporters, a group that includes me. He signed a law permitting guns to be taken into national parks. He signed another allowing guns as checked baggage on Amtrak. He acted to preserve an existing law limiting the use of government information on firearms it has traced.

Still, the NRA is not rushing to recant. A spokesman admits the president has signed some provisions it favors, but notes that they were attached to legislation he wanted, making them hard to veto. Says Andrew Arulanandam, "He has disappointed us with his appointments," particularly Attorney General Eric Holder and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, neither a darling of the shooting set.

But those are petty matters given Obama's overall refusal to do anything to advance gun control. On this issue, he took such a strong, clear position during the campaign that he has no room to maneuver. That was not accidental. It was deliberate the equivalent of burning his ships to eliminate the option of retreat.

In terms of actual policy, rather than his previous record, Obama is a long way from being anti-gun. This is not because he has fond memories of sitting in a deer stand as a lad in Hawaii or of talking shotguns with Dick Cheney. It's because his mother didn't raise a fool.

Like some other Democrats, he may recall that in 1994, after banning "assault weapons," they lost the House for the first time in 40 years. Obama knows that anyone who staunchly favors banning guns won't vote Republican no matter what. But some independents who are protective of their weapons may vote Democratic if that issue is off the table.

Off the table is exactly where he intends to keep it. Last year, 65 House Democrats (including Jerry Costello and Debbie Halvorson of Illinois) wrote Holder vowing to "actively oppose" any effort to restore the assault weapons ban. The president has enough trouble getting legislation that enjoys overwhelming support in his party. He is not about to pick a fight with centrist Democrats over gun control.

Opponents of gun control should not rely on Obama's innermost sentiments on the subject. He obviously doesn't cherish the right to keep and bear arms. But for those who favor Second Amendment rights, here's the nice thing about having such a canny politician in the White House: He doesn't have to.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

Believe it or not? No argument from me.

We're turning from a nation of can do people to please help me government people.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Yep.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Good find, Shawn. I've been applauding President Obama for his gun policies for many months now.
UserPostedImage