earthquake
11 months ago

So do y’all think he’s going to be a standup OLB who can kick it inside occasionally like we did with Z Smith? I’m not sure how much he stood up in college. Not that he can’t learn it, of course. 

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

Yes, I think so - if you watch his highlights you'll see him rush standing up, with his hand in the dirt, and inside from the DT position. I think he can move around like Z. Smith did. Gutekunst mentioned this in his presser as well. To me he looks more like 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB tweener a la Clay Mathews. But the Packers run a lot of 2-4-5 (effective a 4-man front) so it makes sense.

[twitter]https://twitter.com/Peter_Bukowski/status/1651936623683067905 [/twitter]

Apparently, he played more DT than anything. Similar to Rashan Gary if I recall correctly.
blank
earthquake
11 months ago
Here he is rushing from the stand-up position.

The dude is a wrecking ball. Amusingly, Peter Skoronski was taken at 11, 2 slots higher than Van Ness (not that one play means Skoronski is bad and Van Ness is good). I read somewhere that they played each other in high school and Skoronksi dominated him, which made Van Ness realize he had to work harder.

Another one vs Paris Johnson, taken at 6.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 months ago
I thought it would be either Van Ness or Miles Murphy. My first guess was LVN. I let Charlie at Walter football talk me out of him. 🙈
UserPostedImage
beast
11 months ago
Van Ness is NOT another Gary, Van Ness is a more athletic and longer OLB Kevin Greene...

He only has one move (the bull rush) but he'll consistently put guys in their @sses with it... though in this day and error, he seriously needs more moves, but if you are only going to have one great move to work other things off of, I think it's the bull rush.

He'll absolutely be an Edge Rusher, I'm sure he could still come on the inside for pass rush downs, but we just drafted DT Wyatt for that DT pass rush role.

Van Ness mainly needs more experience and more guys pushing him, as he probably jait stuck with the bull rush because not enough college guys could stop it. Run into more guys that can stop it (especially when they know it's coming over and over again) then he'll finally learn to mix other moves in too.

Looking at Preston Smith contract, he's probably here for at least two more years. And one would assume they'll resign Gary long term if he gets healthy.

Gary, Wyatt, Clark and Van Ness

Also, with the Packers currently coverage heavy scheme of often dropping 7 into coverage, those front four are asked to do a hell lot and you need a dominant DL with this scheme.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
11 months ago

Apparently Lukas is dating Frankie Kmet, the sister of Bears TE Cole Kmet 

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

The Bears have Kmet on the trading block, maybe they will give The Packers a family discount!🤔🤔🤔
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
11 months ago
This kid couldn't even start a game in college???

Fact/stat: Third-year sophomore. Redshirted in 2020, then played 27 games without a start the past two years. Certainly one of the first players in NFL history to be drafted without starting a single game as a collegian … Finished with 71 tackles (19 ½ for loss) and 13 ½ sacks.

AFC scout: “His value is he can probably play anywhere across the 3-4 or 4-3 except for pure nose. You can stick him inside in sub. You can pay him at left end or right end. Is he a dynamic athlete? No. He’s a little bit straight line. What he does have are strong hands and real (good) feet. He’s in the mix of a Grant Wistrom. He’s certainly more gifted than Aaron Kampman. In the (Kyle) Vanden Bosch and Patrick Kerney mold where you’ll get a day’s work out of him. He does look kind of manufactured. How do you take a guy (high) who’s never started a game? He only played 53%.”

NFC scout: “I don’t know where the best fit is for him. I don’t see a twitchy enough guy to play on the edge and be disruptive. He’s more strong than explosive. He’s got some pushback ability but doesn’t have like knockback ability so I worry about him inside if he’s truly explosive enough to come off the ball and rock people. It’s more like he gets into guys and pushes them. There wasn’t a lot of difference doing him and Anthony Nelson from there a couple years ago. He just signed a second contract (with Tampa Bay). He’s been a solid player for them. I just didn’t feel like I watching that much of a different guy for someone being talked about as a top-20 draft. Nelson went in the fourth (in 2019). I felt like they were kind of the same guy.”

AFC scout: “I don’t think they (Iowa coaches) saw him coming out. That was a little bit of a surprise. He wasn’t a starter but he got 40-some snaps a game. Thing that jumps out is how hard he plays. High-motor effort guy. He’s got good quickness. He can win some with speed but he’s more speed to power. There’s a big arrow up for him. Whoever takes him is betting on that. He can be a right end but also in a 4-3 he can be a base end or left, and when they go to nickel he’s got some inside pass rush. His best football is definitely ahead of him. He’ll go mid-to-late first.”

NFC scout: “If you don’t start at Iowa, there’s a problem. What are we doing here? The guy does not start at Iowa. The reason is, he isn’t any good. It’s bizarre. He’s not productive. He doesn’t know how to play. He gets knocked around. No pass rush. I’m shocked at this. He is not good. He’s a backup. At Iowa. They play him down, in and out. For the most part, he had his hand down. He’s absolutely not (an edge).”
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 months ago
The Athletic is usually behind a paywall. I don't know how I was able to read it. I'm not copy any of it.

https://theathletic.com/4455727/2023/04/28/packers-draft-lukas-van-ness-round-1/ 
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 months ago
Maybe someone has said this. I have not had a chance to read everything the past few days. LVN didn't start because he was a sophomore. Iowa designates their Seniors as starters. He got more on field snaps than either starter.
UserPostedImage
beast
11 months ago

NFC scout: “If you don’t start at Iowa, there’s a problem. What are we doing here? The guy does not start at Iowa. The reason is, he isn’t any good. It’s bizarre. He’s not productive. He doesn’t know how to play. He gets knocked around. No pass rush. I’m shocked at this. He is not good. He’s a backup. At Iowa. They play him down, in and out. For the most part, he had his hand down. He’s absolutely not (an edge).”

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I'm guessing this is an older scout whom used to scouting for a 4-3 scheme which seeks out speed rushers for DEs.

Reminds me of when Bill Polian with the media doing a mock draft, with him being a judge of the picks. Polian wouldn't stop whining that media members didn't know what they were doing making picks and a stud like DE Jordan Willis wasn't being picked mid or late 1st.... until one finally did, just to make Polian happy and get a good grade from Polian.

Note: Speed rusher DE Jordan Willis went in the 3rd round, and only lasted two years with his original team. 

For Polians defensive scheme they normally wanted speed rushers, but that scheme was out of fad in the modern NFL. And that scout whining sounds like he's used to scouting for speed rushers only, not power DEs.

UserPostedImage
earthquake
11 months ago

This kid couldn't even start a game in college???

Fact/stat: Third-year sophomore. Redshirted in 2020, then played 27 games without a start the past two years. Certainly one of the first players in NFL history to be drafted without starting a single game as a collegian … Finished with 71 tackles (19 ½ for loss) and 13 ½ sacks.

AFC scout: “His value is he can probably play anywhere across the 3-4 or 4-3 except for pure nose. You can stick him inside in sub. You can pay him at left end or right end. Is he a dynamic athlete? No. He’s a little bit straight line. What he does have are strong hands and real (good) feet. He’s in the mix of a Grant Wistrom. He’s certainly more gifted than Aaron Kampman. In the (Kyle) Vanden Bosch and Patrick Kerney mold where you’ll get a day’s work out of him. He does look kind of manufactured. How do you take a guy (high) who’s never started a game? He only played 53%.”

NFC scout: “I don’t know where the best fit is for him. I don’t see a twitchy enough guy to play on the edge and be disruptive. He’s more strong than explosive. He’s got some pushback ability but doesn’t have like knockback ability so I worry about him inside if he’s truly explosive enough to come off the ball and rock people. It’s more like he gets into guys and pushes them. There wasn’t a lot of difference doing him and Anthony Nelson from there a couple years ago. He just signed a second contract (with Tampa Bay). He’s been a solid player for them. I just didn’t feel like I watching that much of a different guy for someone being talked about as a top-20 draft. Nelson went in the fourth (in 2019). I felt like they were kind of the same guy.”

AFC scout: “I don’t think they (Iowa coaches) saw him coming out. That was a little bit of a surprise. He wasn’t a starter but he got 40-some snaps a game. Thing that jumps out is how hard he plays. High-motor effort guy. He’s got good quickness. He can win some with speed but he’s more speed to power. There’s a big arrow up for him. Whoever takes him is betting on that. He can be a right end but also in a 4-3 he can be a base end or left, and when they go to nickel he’s got some inside pass rush. His best football is definitely ahead of him. He’ll go mid-to-late first.”

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

There are some weird quotes here that make me question whether these scouts are... actually scouts. Iowa starts players based on seniority, it's an old-school football program. He's a younger guy that came out a year early - would have been "starter" if he stuck around for his senior year. From what I understand Lukas Van Ness played more snaps than anyone else on the Iowa DL.

Looks like wpr beat me to this but it's worth emphasizing.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (9h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (9h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (10h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (11h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.