Zero2Cool
a year ago

Leonhard was offered Green Bay’s defensive coordinator vacancy in 2021.

When Green Bay Packers  head coach Matt LaFleur took over the green and gold in 2019, he retained Mike McCarthy-era coordinator Mike Pettine, who lasted two years in the role before his contract was allowed to expire following the Packers’ playoff loss to the San Francisco 49ers . LaFleur’s first choice to replace Pettine was then-Wisconsin defensive coordinator Jim Leonhard, who turned down the opportunity to stick with the Badgers .

Leonhard sticking at the college level looked like a solid decision this year when Wisconsin head coach Paul Chryst was let go and Leonhard was made interim head coach for the remainder of the season. After starting the season 2-3 with Chryst, Leonhard coached the Badgers to a 4-3 finish under his watch.

Wisconsin stunned the world when they were able to hire Cincinnati’s head coach Luke Fickell — who was in the college football playoff the year before with the Bearcats — instead of Leonhard as their next face of the program. Since then, the question has lingered: Would Leonhard consider taking the Packers’ defensive coordinator job if it opened?

We got one step closer to seeing Leonhard in Green Bay on Tuesday night when he announced on Twitter that he would only remain with the Badgers through the team’s Guaranteed Rate Bowl versus Oklahoma State  on December 27th. At the time, it was speculated that Fickell was attempting to retain him as the team’s defensive coordinator. Leonhard, who has been a part of the coaching staff since 2016, will now be looking for a new job.

On Wisconsin! pic.twitter.com/lkgkPWmrO1 
— Jim Leonhard (@jimleonhard) December 7, 2022 

The Packers have struggled on defense this year, particularly in the run game. They’ve allowed 109 first downs on the ground under defensive coordinator Joe Barry, which leads the league. They have also conceded 2,012 rushing yards (second-most), 5.0 yards per carry (fourth-most) and 15 rushing touchdowns (fifth-most) in 2022.

While the job has yet to open, the thought of Barry being let go after the season isn’t going to leave the minds of Packers fans anytime soon. Should Green Bay move in that direction, Wisconsin’s native son, Leonhard, will be a name that will come up over and over again to fill the vacancy, as his connection to the state and LaFleur seems like a perfect match.

As far as Leonhard’s accomplishments at the college level go, here’s what Wisconsin’s team site had to say about his defenses  when he was named interim head coach:

In Leonhard’s five seasons as defensive coordinator, UW has ranked among the nation’s top five in total defense and top 10 in scoring defense four times. During that time, the Badgers rank third in scoring defense (17.3 points per game), first in total yards allowed (284.8 yards per game), first in pass efficiency defense (110.5), third in rushing defense (103.4 ypg) and first in opponents’ third down conversions (30.5%). Wisconsin has forced 112 turnovers over that span, tied for fourth-most among Power Five Conference teams.

Continue Reading @ justis.mosqueda 

justis.mosqueda wrote:

thoughts??
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
a year ago
I'm just one of many Packers fans who has my fingers crossed.
Get rid of Joe and bring in Jim!
nerdmann
a year ago

thoughts??

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Can he run the Fangio system?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
a year ago

Can he run the Fangio system?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Better yet, check this.

Conor Orr  @ConorOrr A few years ago, I did a story on how teams were trying to stop the evolution of RPOs. Almost everyone, pro or college, I spoke to said "ask Jim Leonhard." He's got a bright future ahead.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
a year ago

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
a year ago
That guy looks like a complete doofus. Then I went oh ... it's Peter B, not worth giving the view. NEXT!!
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
a year ago
I don't know the Packers will make the change. I have a feeling they want to stick with Barry for another year. Gute and MLF will probably point to the injuries and say that's the reason for the subpar performance. They may also say they don't care about the run defense. They would prefer teams run against them instead of pass. (I am not sure I believe it.)
What frustrates me the most is the number of DC that have come through GB. Capers was ging to be the defensive guru. Fans loved the selection. Until they didn't. They screamed for his removal for a few years. 2017 was his last one.  Pettine was then going to resurrect the defense and people went crazy that he was selected. It didn't take long before fans hated his scheme. Calling it too passive. Hollering that players like King were playing 8 yards off the line when the line to gain was only 4 yards away. Therefore it must be a crappy scheme. Even though Pettine was in GB for only 3 seasons people called for him to be sent packing for at least 2 seasons.
Now it's Barry's turn. Granted some people questioned the hire.  Others loved it. He hasn't been in GB for 2 full years yet. As I said, it doesn't seem to be the "Packer's Way" to release him.

4 DCs in 7 seasons doesn't seem probable. 

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

I don't know the Packers will make the change. I have a feeling they want to stick with Barry for another year. Gute and MLF will probably point to the injuries and say that's the reason for the subpar performance. They may also say they don't care about the run defense. They would prefer teams run against them instead of pass. (I am not sure I believe it.)
What frustrates me the most is the number of DC that have come through GB. Capers was ging to be the defensive guru. Fans loved the selection. Until they didn't. They screamed for his removal for a few years. 2017 was his last one.  Pettine was then going to resurrect the defense and people went crazy that he was selected. It didn't take long before fans hated his scheme. Calling it too passive. Hollering that players like King were playing 8 yards off the line when the line to gain was only 4 yards away. Therefore it must be a crappy scheme. Even though Pettine was in GB for only 3 seasons people called for him to be sent packing for at least 2 seasons.
Now it's Barry's turn. Granted some people questioned the hire.  Others loved it. He hasn't been in GB for 2 full years yet. As I said, it doesn't seem to be the "Packer's Way" to release him.

4 DCs in 7 seasons doesn't seem probable.  

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Dom Capers → I liked solely because I respect the Steelers defense he was associated with. We were warned that after 2-3 seasons, his defenses seem to be toasted. 
Mike Pettine → I don't think I had any feeling at all good or bad. I felt Aaron Rodgers was premature with his "we got a defense now" after just one game. 
Joe Barry → Knowing he wasn't 1st choice didn't sit well with me, but I tried being optimistic.

I'm not sure I know the scheme, or even what plays are called for defense so it's hard for me to bemoan either. I will always complain about CB's being 5-7 yards away from WR's when it's X DOWN and less than 4 yards to go. I say you get up close, press from inside and make QB throw perfect pass towards sideline.

It's actually quite easy to defend the defense this season. Packers are 5th in passing yards and 30th in rush yards. And it is no secret the defense is aimed to keep everything in front of you and force long drives. That's probably why teams are usually able to get decent run yards and the middle of the field is open. The trouble is when the offense isn't putting up points and forcing teams to take risks, then the defense just gets chewed up and ends up being on the field far too long. Not many teams have the depth to mitigate the fatigue factor of an offense repeatedly going three and out.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a change in defensive philosophy. If that means new DC, so be it. I really like how I've seen the Giants approach defense. It seems like they are willing to murder someone to prevent a 1st down.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
a year ago
Dom has a 30 year history of fielding dominant defenses for the first 4 years, then falling off a cliff.

I don't think anyone "liked" the selection of Barry, per se. But keep in mind how reliable they were last year.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
a year ago

Joe Barry → Knowing he wasn't 1st choice didn't sit well with me, but I tried being optimistic.

It's actually quite easy to defend the defense this season. Packers are 5th in passing yards and 30th in rush yards. And it is no secret the defense is aimed to keep everything in front of you and force long drives.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Since everyone outside of Leonhard was going to be "Second Choice", it didn't bother me. He was probably hoping to become the Badgers HC so it made sense for him to take a wait and see attitude. However, after he said no, I think Barry was the Packers new "First Choice". It wasn't like the bares were a few years ago when 3 or 4 coaches laughed at them and turned down the HC gig. They are out out time and grabed the next guy walking past Halas Hall.

Stop the pass and allow the run is a reasonable philosophy IF the team is winning. If it's not winning then the defense needs to change. As we all know it takes all phases to win a game. The offense helps keep the defense off the field. The defense gives the offense good/great field position. The ST tries to not screw up.
If the offense isn't scoring then the defense needs to shut down the run as well as the pass.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (17h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (18h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (21h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (23h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.