Zero2Cool
a year ago
Christian Watson | Wide Receiver | North Dakota State | 6'4" - 204 lbs.

Overview
A receiver prospect with intriguing measurables and a strong belief in the team aspect of the game, Watson possesses an alluring combination of size and speed. He showed off improved route running and catch strength in 2021. He is much more gifted than his opposition was at NDSU and needs to prove he can elevate his game against bigger, faster players at the next level. He plays hard and fast but needs to add a few more pounds and learn to impose his frame on the coverage. He's a field-stretching option requiring a linear route tree and projects as a capable WR3/4 with more work.

Strengths
[list]
  • Father played safety in the NFL.
  • Very good blend of size, speed and length.
  • Touchdown production through air, ground and return game.
  • Plays fast from snap to whistle.
  • Displays foot quickness for take-off versus press.
  • Added some route polish in 2021.
  • Leverages defender's hips before cutting the opposite way.
  • Maintains acceleration through route stem.
  • Effective separation talent in linear route tree.
  • Improved hand strength on contested catches in 2021.[/list]

• Weaknesses
    [list]
  • Mirror-and-match corners can trace short to intermediate routes.
  • Lacks deep bend for sudden sink and stop.
  • Needs excess steps into the top of the break point.
  • Occasionally mistimes leaps to the throw.
  • Catch focus is below average.
  • [*]Needs to impose his size on coverage when the ball goes up.[/list]
    UserPostedImage
    TheKanataThrilla
    a year ago
    Love the pick, but hate the trade.
    PackersNation
    a year ago
    Yeah Baby!

That will go down as one the greatest draft moves in Packers history. Aggressive move by Gute! You can't move up 19 spots for just #53. Of course he had to give up 59 too. My god get a clue! For real. I've held back a little bit the last couple days. Wake up and celebrate!

We got a real good one Packer Nation! This made the whole draft.

OneTeamOneNation!

PackerNation!
    yooperfan
    a year ago
    We got the guy that I wanted most!!
    I’m one happy Packers fan 👍👌👍
    a year ago
    Per an NFL scout

NFL Draft 2022 Scouting Report: WR Christian Watson, No. Dakota State

The story of Watson’s rise to prospect prominence is (currently) painted as ‘he had a great Combine (because he ran a 4.36 40-time) at his size (6’4”/208), so teams are chasing him up their draft boards’.

There’s much more to it than that…but it is true, Watson has gone from a late day three draft prospect to day two prospect, with 1st-round/day one whispers in some places since the Combine. It’s a little strange to think that Watson has rocketed up draft boards…just because he ran fast at the Combine – a lot of guys ran fast at the Combine…and some of them are tall, like Watson. It can’t just be ‘size and speed’; not in 2022.

It isn’t the full story. The developing situation goes back earlier than the Combine.

It wasn’t about his great FCS play/career. He was good for North Dakota State, not ‘wow’ (statistically) in the FCS…if scouts were amazed at his production or tape at NDSU, then he wouldn’t have been a later invitee to the Senior Bowl, and he wouldn’t have been a #200-400 ranked prospect all over the place inJanuary. No, this story really changed at/after the Senior Bowl.

Watson was just another good-looking, hopeful, skeptical FCS WR prospect going into the Senior Bowl week but came out of the week with a whole different perspective – and I can attest to it first-hand, and my thoughts on what Watson was doing in Mobile were confirmed after the practice week.

I was intrigued with Watson from my pre-Combine preview scouting. Nice size, nice movement
    skills…but I needed more study time to see if he was just another decently athletic FCS WR taking advantage of non-D1 type DBs, and his numbers were not all that impressive = 43-800-7 in 12 games (2021) for an FCS powerhouse…numbers not really screaming out ‘star’. But my mood changed on him each day of the Senior Bowl week.

One of the things that stood out to me from the practice week was how the QBs were responding to/working with Watson. Before I mention that key thing, I have to note that Watson did fine in one-onones and 7-on-7, etc., but they all (WRs) can look good in those drills, but when it gets to 11-on-11 and then the game itself…that’s when everything is a cluster, with these all-stars barely knowing each other, no time to really get the playbook or get timing down between QBs-and-WRs.

In that mayhem (for the QBs), with a real-ish pass rush coming and a congested field, the QBs on Watson’s team (Pickett, Ridder, Strong) would typically look/force the ball to Watson over all the other options – in crisis, not being able to trust things breaking down all around them…their heads were looking towards Watson, their desperation throws tended to go to Watson… especially in red zone/end zone drills. Watson had the respect of his all-star QBs in just 1-2-3 days of working together – and Watson tended to make the plays/catches when the ball was near him to catch. I made note of this unusual development…the lesser-lauded FCS WR was ‘the guy’ for his team, and I think that says something.

After the week of practices, the cornerbacks vote on the ‘best WR’ for the practice week – and to no surprise it was Christian Watson as the top vote getter for his team…beating out five D1 WRs for the honor. Watson accounted for himself well at the Senior Bowl…changed his future earning power/draft stock.

There was just something about Watson. NFL team’s observing noticed it too. The Watson draft rise started in Mobile but got some more rocket fuel with his 4.36 40-time at the NFL Combine.

Only 10 WRs in my system ever ran a sub-4.4 40-time at 6’3” or taller, and 200 or more pounds…
    Tyrone Calico
    Calvin Johnson
    Matt Jones (QB turned WR)
    Chaz Schilens
    Javon Walker
    Randy Moss
    Stephen Hill
    Marquez Valdes-Scantling
    D.K. Metcalf
    …and now Christian Watson.

Watson also registered a 1.46 10-yard dash. Only Schilens and Metcalf can claim a sub-1.48 10-yard from the group above (of 10) with Watson. Watson’s size and Combine timed get-off are pretty historically ‘wow’.

Some guys test well at the Combine, but then you can’t really see that speed on the field. That’s where Watson also gets my attention – I see the speed on tape is real. There really is a 6’4”+ guy who has elite speed available in this draft…the speed is real. He efficiently runs by DBs with ease. He reminds me of former Arkansas QB turned NFL WR for the draft, Matt Jones, in that manner…it doesn’t look like he’s moving that fast, but then he’s just flying by people like he’s jogging and they seem to be standing still pursuing this optical illusion, this UFO type movement.

Why didn’t Watson have better college output numbers if he can run by people so well… especially given the FCS level of play? Well, that’s a great question. I think it’s a bit like the problem Northern Iowa Combine stud Isaiah Weston had – he can speed his way open, but can these QBs actually throw it to him/connect with him on deep balls? The answer is…not really, not often enough. Their flimsy QBs tended to wanna throw screen passes or dump it short, not wanting to hang in the pocket for a deep route to develop…and when they do go for it they either radically under or over throw it to the WR having a step or five on coverage.

Watson could get open medium and deep…he showed very good hands…he just didn’t get enough targets/connections, like the problem Tyrell Williams in college – the team took for granted their ability to go deep and command attention and they loved the open space these speedster WRs left behind for easy throws underneath because the deep speedster took a corner or corner + safety with them deep.

It’s nice for the team, and helps hide the QB’s deficiencies, but doesn’t help the speedster’s number production. Watson is a little different than the Isaiah Weston situation. Weston looked passive and content to be that deep ball or nothing guy. Watson has a little more air of ‘get me the ball’ to him. Watson took 49 rushes for NDSU in his three seasons of starting, for 392 yards rushing (8.0 ypc) and 2 TDs. He returned kicks his last two seasons…21 returns, 2 house calls/TDs. Watson’s talent demanded the ball…and they put him in positions to get it, just not so great getting him the ball enough as a deep threat WR…wasted as a deep ball guy too much (my opinion).

Watson showed at the Senior Bowl that he has more tools than just ‘deep ball guy’. However, I think he has one flaw – he’s not great moving east-west. Get him going sideways and he’s human/OK. Watson doesn’t have a great side-to-side quick cut ability, but let him open up moving straight ahead and he’s,dare I say, ‘special’. Watson won’t be a Davante Adams pitch & catch WR who beats everyone off the snap with his quick feet/moves. He’s not a Michael Thomas or Keenan Allen short game master/grinder – you want Watson to sprint, to open up, to keep his feet moving…a la D.K. Metcalf.

Watson has a chance to be a star…because he has that special gift for the deep ball, and at his size, he’s not a little DeSean Jackson or Brandon Cooks deep ball master…he’s 6’4+, and that’s what makes him super-intriguing for the NFL. Get him an accurate downfield QB and Watson may be a skinnier version (with room to add 5+ pounds of muscle) of Ja’Marr Chase or D.K. Metcalf, but taller/longer than them…an advantage going deep.

There’s a real prospect here…one whose main gift might make him an NFL star, despite not being as well-rounded as some other WRs available. Arguably, Watson has none equal to him in terms of ‘deep ball threat’ in this draft…or in the past few drafts, because of the height/reach advantage on top of the REAL speed. Maybe George Pickens can give him a run for his deep ball prowess money (but Pickens is a sensational all-over WR on top of everything else).

Watson is a very pleasant, humble, smart person in interviews. He’s also confident…but not arrogant, he didn’t wilt among the D1 guys and the scene at the Senior Bowl or Combine. He made some honor rolls at NDSU as well, so he’s no dummy either. No issues detected off the field. A really nice prospect here is developing but will likely be downgraded because of his ‘FCS’ background.

He shouldn’t be.

Go Packers!!!!
    Zero2Cool
    a year ago
    Highlights

Chris Simms thoughts

UserPostedImage
    Zero2Cool
    a year ago
    Javon Walker?>!?!?
     image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
    UserPostedImage
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    a year ago
    It's a good pick. The Packers got the WR of choice on Day 2. According to the trade charts they gave up more but it was to be expected when trading with a divisional rival. "Over pay and you get the player you want. Try to make the trade more equitable and the Vikings don't agree. In order for the trade to be closer in value they would have had to give up their 53rd along with their 3rd and both 4th round picks. They value bodies in camp more than getting closer to some mythical number. They were shut out on Day 1 and 2 last year and Day 1 this year. They made sure it didn't happen again by getting the player they wanted.

UserPostedImage
    nerdmann
    a year ago

It's a good pick. The Packers got the WR of choice on Day 2. According to the trade charts they gave up more but it was to be expected when trading with a divisional rival. "Over pay and you get the player you want. Try to make the trade more equitable and the Vikings don't agree. In order for the trade to be closer in value they would have had to give up their 53rd along with their 3rd and both 4th round picks. They value bodies in camp more than getting closer to some mythical number. They were shut out on Day 1 and 2 last year and Day 1 this year. They made sure it didn't happen again by getting the player they wanted.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

The Jimmy Johnson chart shows what the picks were worth. This player was worth more than what the chart says those picks were worth. Still value.
    “Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
    Mucky Tundra
    a year ago
    I'll admit that I was in the "he's a freak athlete but what about his level of competition?" but after watching the videos Zero posted and the story by Martha about tuning up guys at the Senior Bowl, I'm quickly becoming a convert. I dare say I see a little of Randy Moss* in him. His acceleration doesn't seem fast at first because of his long legs but two steps later he's already in full stride and up to speed.

Another that is a nice bonus is since he went to Fargo, ND for school, adjusting to Green Bay shouldn't be a challenge for him lol.

*no, I'm not saying he's the next Randy Moss.
    “Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
    UserPostedImage
    "I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
    Fan Shout
    buckeyepackfan (21h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
    buckeyepackfan (22h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
    Mucky Tundra (22h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
    dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
    dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
    beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
    Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
    wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
    Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
    Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
    Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
    Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
    Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
    Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
    Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
    beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
    beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
    beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
    beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
    Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
    Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
    Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
    beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
    dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
    beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
    dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
    dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
    dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
    dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
    beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
    dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
    Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
    Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
    Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
    Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
    Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
    Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
    Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
    Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
    Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
    beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
    Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
    dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
    Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
    Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
    Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.