Zero2Cool
2 years ago
John Madden on concussions.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
You can watch All Madden for free on Tubi.
https://tubitv.com/movies/639956/all-madden?start=true 
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
NFL to honor John Madden with moment of silence at all Week 17 games 

The NFL will hold a moment of silence before all its Week 17 games for Hall of Fame coach and broadcasting icon John Madden, who died Tuesday at age 85.

"As you know, the NFL lost a true giant on Tuesday with the passing of John Madden," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told all clubs Thursday in a memo obtained by ESPN. "To help honor his legacy, we ask that each home team in Week 17 observe a moment of silence in his memory just prior to the start of the game."

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago

THE LIFE AND LEGACY OF JOHN MADDEN
Posted by Ben Clubb | Dec 30, 2021 |

The Life and Legacy of John Madden 
This is the article that I have dreaded writing for years because it means that the inevitable has happened; John Madden has passed away at the age of 85.
As the news broke on Tuesday night, fans all across the league were hit with a dagger in the heart. Madden was an icon for years in professional football. Heck, John Madden was football. The Packer fans of the 90s were especially fond of Madden, having heard him call many games for the Packers in that decade.
Madden first crossed paths with the Packers in Super Bowl II as he coached against his hero, Vince Lombardi. When Madden recalls that game, his eyes light up as if he were coaching in it all again;
“…I glance across the sideline, and I’m looking at Vince Lombardi..” is how he put it. Madden was especially fond of Lombardi after hearing him speak at at clinic over Lombardi’s staple play, the power sweep:
“I went there cocky, thinking I knew everything there was to know about football, and he spent 8 hours talking about this one play. I realized then that I actually knew nothing about football.”
Madden went on to be one of the greatest coaches to ever grace the sidelines in professional football. Over his 10 year career, Madden ended with an impressive record of 103-32-7, a winning percentage of .759, and a Super Bowl win over the Minnesota Vikings. He stated that he left football due to stomach ulcers as well as the incredible stress that goes along with coaching a team like he did.
Following his coaching career, Madden joined CBS as a broadcaster which turned out to be another extremely successful career for him. Many of us, myself included, remember hearing Madden’s voice fill our living rooms every Sunday afternoon. His voice was synonymous with football.
“Boom! Whap! Doink!”
John worked with so many incredible announcers, but none like Pat Summerall. John and Pat were the guys who you let in to your living room every Sunday afternoon. There are some duos that are great, but these two were the best.
Madden and Summerall even changed the way that America celebrated Thanksgiving. Madden lived for Thanksgiving. Many television shots would show him carving up is infamous turducken or six-legged turkey. John would love to present these to the players of the game soon after the final whistle.
There are so many memories of him calling notorious Packer games, including Super Bowl XXXI. The game which resonates with me so clearly is when Madden joined the Monday Night crew and teamed up with Al Michaels. The two called the game following the death of Brett Favre’s father, Irv. It was only fitting to have him be apart of that moment.
Madden had a way about using his infamous telestrator to draw on players and teach the game of football. The thing that made Madden so unique is that he could teach the game to anybody. He had such a special way in making football understandable for every fan. He didn’t have to use terms and language that made the game foreign. As many people so frequently describe his broadcasting style, “It felt like he was sitting on the coach beside you, talking about the game.”
That “down to earth” style is how Madden operated every single day. One thing that made Madden famous was his love for taking the train or bus to every game he broadcasted, due to his fear of flying. There are many stories of Madden talking football with train passengers in the dining car on his way to a game, or when he would purposely have his bus stop in the smallest towns possible because “they have the best people and the best food.”
There was a famous story about Madden having his bus stop in Beaver Creek, Nebraska so he could use a payphone. Once stopped, as Madden recalls, the “whole town” came out to see him. He told about people bringing him rhubarb pie, torts, and all sort of baked goods. He even received a key to the city. That was just John. A humble, down to earth guy. Although he was loved and adored by football fans worldwide, he would take time out of his cross country trips to NFL games to talk with a butcher, farmer, carpenter, steel worker, and janitor. He wanted to see life through their perspective.
One of Madden’s most memorable moments came when he was inducted in to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006. You could see the smile on his face for months. The pure joy, love and enthusiasm that John had for football resonated everywhere he went. It was infectious. If there was anyone who deserved to be in the Hall of Fame, it was Madden. He easily could have went in on the accolades of any of his football careers.
What really summed up that day, to me, was the introduction given by the late great Al Davis
“I say let’s line you up under the goalposts one more time, one more time, and have you introduced all individually once again to the roar of that Oakland crowd. We can never forget those great moments. The roar would be deafening to see you trot out in those black jerseys, silver helmets.
John Madden, the chill goes through my body as I hear that roar and think of all those special people, but seeing you, John, down on the sidelines prowling those sidelines, yelling at officials, that flaming red hair, those arms moving left and right, screaming at Raider players, and most of all, winning football games.
But that is fantasy. Fantasy isn’t the answer here today. But what is not fantasy is you coming up to this podium to be enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame…”
I would like to echo the words of Al Davis…
Let’s sit around our television sets one last time. One more time, let’s turn on our favorite game and see you so vividly drawing up plays, teaching us the game we all love. Let’s hear about your love and passion for the game of football, highlighting your favorite players, who usually are the unnoticed offensive lineman.
Let’s turn on our video game consoles and play our favorite game of Madden, the game which so easily captured the hearts of many football fans.
Let’s watch those old Oakland Raider games and see you storming on the sidelines. Watching your Raider players hoist you up on their shoulders with a grin from ear-to-ear.
Let’s see you in one more commercial in typical Madden fashion; bursting through signs while you rave about how “Miller is the beer that doesn’t fill you up!”
Let’s treat each other with respect and dignity the way you did for your entire career.
That’s just the Madden way.

I never get tired of posting Madden stories.
UserPostedImage
porky88
2 years ago
I will forever look back fondly on listening to Pat Summerall and John Madden.

Pat was a great storyteller; he knew when to talk and when to let the imagery do the talking. He actually let a narrative develop naturally whereas today’s announcers tend to create their own.

Madden was his perfect compliment. His passion for the sport complimented Summerall’s reserved nature. Madden’s best ability was that he had a larger than life personality and oozed charisma yet he managed to never make himself bigger than the game he was calling.

Madden always related to the culture of the cities he was in. He would find that quirk and embrace it. It made him feel like one of the fans you would tailgate with.

RIP John Madden. I am forever grateful for the many memories you helped create.
yooperfan
2 years ago
Rest In Peace John Madden!
Mucky Tundra
2 years ago
One of the reasons Super Bowl XXXI sticks out in my memory is not just because Green Bay won, but because of the all day pregame show. One of the highlights of the pregame show was Madden picking his all Super Bowl team from the first thirty Super Bowls.* As a youngin at the time, this really helped me learn about other great all time players in the league, esp guys from the 70s and 80s (my school library had lots of old stuff about players from the 50s and 60s).

*the other great pregame feature was Terry Bradshaw, Ronnie Lott and Howie Long interviewing teammates who they thought made pivotal plays in the Super Bowl that people didn't know about. Phenomenal content! Naturally Fox never revisited the idea.

https://ro-ro.facebook.com/jerrykramer64/videos/736158500374574/ 
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
I've been waiting for someone to mention one of the Madden quotes I like best. He was speaking about Ahman Green before the Lions-Packers Thanksgiving Day game. Madden said he was putting Green on his All Madden team because he convinced Lions President & CEO Matt Millen to give him his leather coat. I had to look it up. It was 2001. The last year for the team.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
2 years ago
How John Madden Became the Face of a Video Game Empire 

From the start, he insisted on realism, instructing developers on details as exacting as how a defensive player should be tackling and which stances linemen should use during certain formations.

The early interaction on the train — Madden had a lifelong fear of flying — showed Hawkins that Madden, despite being affable and entertaining, treated the development process seriously.

“Whatever John says is the final word. He had that kind of presence and the ability to be the commander,” Hawkins said. “It didn’t matter that I was running my company, he’s still going to tell me what to do,” he added with a laugh.

I'd be remiss if there wasn't any mention of John Madden and the video games that have his name on them. Used to spend hours on them leading the Packers (and some other teams to victory) when I wasn't reading about them in the books I used to check out from my school library. As primitive as they seem now, those early games were unlike any other, esp once they started letting you trade for players (a favorite of memory of mine was trading Jerome Bettis to the 96 Packers). They also spawned some wonderful memes, such the 1992 game with the ambulance that was hell bent on getting to the injured player.

The next early meme was the 1996 edition with unpenalized late hits that featured a sickening bone snapping sound with the canned Summerall soundbite of "Oh no, there's a man down"

"He put the team on his back!"

UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
2 years ago

He started watching film with Norm van Brocklin. It's like some reserve player sitting down with Rodgers right now and picking his brain only to jump into coaching 2 years later.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (10h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.