KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
3 years ago

Okay Z, I found the article again.
Totalpackers.com/2019/12/draft-peers-rashan-gary/
If you google Rashan Gary, a lot of articles cover his injury issues so questioning whether or not he’s injured isn’t out of line.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Excellent article and food for thought.

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

Okay Z, I found the article again.
http://Totalpackers.com/2019/12/draft-peers-rashan-gary/ 
If you google Rashan Gary, a lot of articles cover his injury issues so questioning whether or not he’s injured isn’t out of line.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Thanks for posting the link. It's basically as I suspected though, hit piece with no depth or understanding of the big picture. The snap statistics I find interesting because of the positions and incoming expectations of the pick. Those picked in front of Rashan Gary were obviously not an option for the Packers, so comparing him to them is baseless and unwarranted. Also, Rashan Gary was not projected to start as a rookie. He's actually been progressing as we were told before even taking a snap as an NFL player.

Why do people bash a player based on where they were drafted? It feels obnoxious to me. The player didn't have a choice. Sometimes, the team tries to trade back, but no one wants to trade up with them. Do you trade from 12th overall to 20th overall while getting nothing but a 6th round pick to make the move? Hell no.

The whole mantra of calling players a bust has annoyed me because of how ignorant the entire argument is. Why is it so difficult for fans to just root for players to succeed rather than condemn them for production that doesn't mean their own personal naïve expectations?

When analyzing a draft, or draft pick. You have to know what the Packers are scouting for. You have to know what pieces they thought they'd be able to trade for. You have to factor in contracts for players that might be expiring. There is a plethora of variables that go into it and it's why it's such a difficult task.

Look at that 2019 first round draft. It's not like it was littered with a lot of All-Pro players.
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Edit: I need to clarify something. I feel calling players a bust is ignorant for me to do because I don't know all the variables.
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago
1st round players should be starters from day ONE!

Which is exactly why the Dolphins, Brown's Bears, Buccaneers, Titans, Vikings, Cardinals, Redskins, Lions, Cowboys,
Chargers, Giants, Saints, Panthers, Chiefs, Texans, Bengals, Vikings (AGAIN), Rams, Cowboys (AGAIN), Jaguars, Ravens and Raiders... were all extremely smart to pass on Aaron Rodgers! If that idiot Ted Thompson knew, he'd be GM still.

Everyone KNOWS, it's not how you finish, but how you start!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
3 years ago
I agree Zero. (I'm not going to quote your post.) I have given up on trying to convince fans to look at the bigger picture which means to wait a full three years minimum. As Beast points out, sometimes it's longer.
I never go to the totalpackers site anymore. I know as much perhaps more than he does but I don't spew like he does.
Fans can support the team as they see fit but there is no reason to compare the 12th pick in the draft to the ones that were taken ahead of him. Perhaps comparing the 12th to the 10th-15th would make more sense. And snap count means nothing. Kentrell Brice was on the field a lot between 2016-2018. He wasn't much to brag about.
Who knows why Gute signed two high price FA and then drafted Gary. The only thing I knew was it meant Gary wasn't going to be on the field very much. It kinda made sense because they planned to move Gary into a new position.

UserPostedImage
earthquake
3 years ago
Kingsley Keke looks solid for a 5th round pick too, another 2-sack game, I have to wonder when he's given a chance to start. Not to mention perhaps the best interior offensive lineman in the league (Elgton Jenkins). Even if Jace Sternberger never gets it together, the 2019 draft is looking fairly good at the moment.
blank
beast
3 years ago

Who knows why Gute signed two high price FA and then drafted Gary. The only thing I knew was it meant Gary wasn't going to be on the field very much. It kinda made sense because they planned to move Gary into a new position.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I've said for years that you don't need two good edge rushers, but three as they get tired and you need to rotate them and they can get injured (especially said this with Matthews and Parry)... and while I wasn't sure if Gary would develop, Gute FREAKING LOVES upside potential... and while I don't think (or don't know) if Gary will ever develop to this point, as he seems to be a slow developer... he's upside potential is potentially top physical pass rusher in the NFL.

Upside potential also answers why QB Love (he's not ready and needs to develop, but tons of upside potential) and RB Dillon (his raw workout numbers compare extremely well to RB Derek Henry.

Kingsley Keke looks solid for a 5th round pick too, another 2-sack game, I have to wonder when he's given a chance to start. Not to mention perhaps the best interior offensive lineman in the league (Elgton Jenkins). Even if Jace Sternberger never gets it together, the 2019 draft is looking fairly good at the moment.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Yes, it's looking like a very good draft right now... though I wondered at the time if we made a mistake with TE Sternberger over WR Terry McLaurin.... and it seems we absolutely did... McLaurin has looked like a stud for Washington even when they haven't had a QB.... BUT this system needs multiple good TEs which we didn't seem to have at the time.

Without looking it up, I THINK Keke is gaining in the snap counts I believe catching up on Lowry in overall snaps for the season after being way behind. He's athletic and pass rush are top notch... I'm guessing only his run defense and wanting to rotate guys is keeping him from getting even more snaps.

UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
3 years ago
Back in the summer of 2013 I was certain if GB would be better off if they shipped Mike Daniels off to a team that still ran a 4-3 defense looking for interior pass rush. I mean, he had a nice rookie year for a 4th round dlineman but thought he was too small to last long in the NFL full time. Yeah. So now I just sit and watch (and occasionally complain) before the end of their 3rd year.

I've said for years that you don't need two good edge rushers, but three as they get tired and you need to rotate them and they can get injured (especially said this with Matthews and Parry)... and while I wasn't sure if Gary would develop, Gute FREAKING LOVES upside potential... and while I don't think (or don't know) if Gary will ever develop to this point, as he seems to be a slow developer... he's upside potential is potentially top physical pass rusher in the NFL.

Upside potential also answers why QB Love (he's not ready and needs to develop, but tons of upside potential) and RB Dillon (his raw workout numbers compare extremely well to RB Derek Henry.

Yes, it's looking like a very good draft right now... though I wondered at the time if we made a mistake with TE Sternberger over WR Terry McLaurin.... and it seems we absolutely did... McLaurin has looked like a stud for Washington even when they haven't had a QB.... BUT this system needs multiple good TEs which we didn't seem to have at the time.

Without looking it up, I THINK Keke is gaining in the snap counts I believe catching up on Lowry in overall snaps for the season after being way behind. He's athletic and pass rush are top notch... I'm guessing only his run defense and wanting to rotate guys is keeping him from getting even more snaps.

Originally Posted by: beast 

If Gary had polished pass rush moves, he's going #2 over Bosa.

You could apply the upside/potential argument with Sternberger as he was only a one year starter at Texas A&M after bouncing between colleges. It's a shame that it looks like concussions will do him in. Definitely digging Keke's upward trend as a pass rusher. Keke also only played one year inside at DT after playing DE (noticing a trend here lol).
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
nerdmann
3 years ago

Back in the summer of 2013 I was certain if GB would be better off if they shipped Mike Daniels off to a team that still ran a 4-3 defense looking for interior pass rush. I mean, he had a nice rookie year for a 4th round dlineman but thought he was too small to last long in the NFL full time. Yeah. So now I just sit and watch (and occasionally complain) before the end of their 3rd year.

If Gary had polished pass rush moves, he's going #2 over Bosa.

You could apply the upside/potential argument with Sternberger as he was only a one year starter at Texas A&M after bouncing between colleges. It's a shame that it looks like concussions will do him in. Definitely digging Keke's upward trend as a pass rusher. Keke also only played one year inside at DT after playing DE (noticing a trend here lol).

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

I think Sternberger will be fine, just seems like he's taking a lot of shots to the helmet.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

I agree Zero. (I'm not going to quote your post.) I have given up on trying to convince fans to look at the bigger picture which means to wait a full three years minimum. As Beast points out, sometimes it's longer.
I never go to the totalpackers site anymore. I know as much perhaps more than he does but I don't spew like he does.
Fans can support the team as they see fit but there is no reason to compare the 12th pick in the draft to the ones that were taken ahead of him. Perhaps comparing the 12th to the 10th-15th would make more sense. And snap count means nothing. Kentrell Brice was on the field a lot between 2016-2018. He wasn't much to brag about.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I find the snap count to be interesting, but I just don't know it's an accurate barometer of validating (or invalidating) a draft pick.

I wish I could somehow convince fans that the draft is for the future. When we see rookies having an impact, it's usually an impact on a really bad team or a rare good pick. And often times we see rookies flash something really good and then fade away. We want rookies to progress from year one to year two, from 2 to 3, etc. The expectations fans put on rookies is absolutely absurd, in my opinion. I also despise grading the draft before these kids even suit up.

It's really simple in the football world. Draft is for the future. Free Agents are for the present.

As for Rashan Gary, folks are starting to see this kid doing good things. I've been noticing him in the backfield quite a bit.

I wouldn't go this strong with my comments, but the point is kind of true. If you're still not seeing that Gary is coming around, you're just doubling down.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
What's this about? I've been told Gary is a bust. A underperformer. This basically invalidates everything with ProFootballFocus, yes? 😜🤔😳😎🤓

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (20m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (18h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.