wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
I won't mind paying a premiere LT $20 in 4 or 5 years. In 2020 or 2021 not so much. I can't see paying Bak that much now because it will be ok some day. He will be retired in 4 or 5 years.

Actually I think the best OTs will get that kind of money in 2 or 3 years. With the defense moving pass rushers around the RTs are starting to get paid too.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
3 years ago
Yeah if OTs money jumps up to that level, in the next two years, then I might not mind, and it might, but I'm not sure about that. Also just to be clear, Bak wants more than Tunsil, not just $20 million, which the Packers might be willing to agree to.

Here is the current OL top per year contract amounts, stopping once I got the top 5 LTs
$22,000,000 LT Laremy Tunsil, Texans
$18,000,000 RT Lane Johnson, Eagles
$16,500,000 RT Trenton Brown, Raiders
$16,500,000 LT Anthony Castonzo, Colts
$16,000,000 LT Taylor Lewan, Titans
$15,500,000 LT Nate Solder, Giants
$15,030,000 RG Brandon Scherff, Redskins
$15,000,000 LT Taylor Decker, Lions

I might be willing to give Bak a $22 to $24 million per year contract, but it'd have to be at least a 6 year deal, that's easy for the team to get out of should something happen to Bak and/or potentially be able to trade it. Not something they'd get stuck with... and it'd help if it was back loaded.

But there are a couple, of guys that might potential break it in the next two years IF teams have the cash, but Packers are in the bottom 25% of most cap space available for the next two years... and the Eagles and Saints seem to be screwed, well past "cap hell" if they want to keep the talent on their team.

Fans want the GM to spend, spend, spend... but then sooner or later you have to let players go that you wanted to keep, to keep the balance. Such as based on current reports, the Packers rumors have little to nothing on resigning starters Linsley and King... and Linsley made some great blocks against the Lions.

Some of Packers FAs (this is including the UDFAs, some of which can become important)

2021: LT David Bakhtiari, RB Aaron Jones, OC Corey Linsley, CB Kevin King, TE Marcedes Lewis, OG Lane Taylor, RB Jamaal Williams, RB/WR Tyler Ervin

2022: WR Davante Adams, ILB Christian Kirksey, WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, RT Ricky Wagner, OG Lucas Patrick, P JK Scott, LS Hunter Bradley, WR Equanimeous St. Brown, WR Devin Funchess, CB Josh Jackson, ILB Oren Burks

YOU CAN'T KEEP EVERYONE... Packers reportedly are trying to sign David Bakhtiari and Aaron Jones, and I wouldnt' be surprised to see TE Lewis, OG Taylor and return man Ervin back on cheap deals.

But they have to make sure they keep enough money available for WRs Adams, MVS and the punter.... and draft some OTs and CBs.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
Bakhtiari give the impression you can keep everyone.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
It's a very shortsighted and selfish perspective.

First it's not automatic. The guy(s) whose contracts are restructured have to agree. The most common way to agree is to give them even more money otherwise why would they bother? (Again a bit of selfishness here too but hey I am not saying it's wrong to be selfish. Everyone has to look out for themselves. After all, it is a business.)

Second pushing cap hits back and back and back eventually leads to cap hell at some point in time. Many teams have had to eventually release good players in order to relieve the cap issues.

Third while Green Bay has been willing to restructure contracts in the past they have been careful when where and with whom. It is not an automatic thing that any team can and will do so at any given time. Reworking a deal to sign a 25-26 year old player is more likely to happen than to rework a contract to sign a player to their third contract.

We shall see.

UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
3 years ago
First off, he's not wrong, it's just a dick thing to say out loud... and others clearly think not, but just haven't said it publicly.

And yeah it's a short sided and selfish attitude but they're in a short sided and selfish career as well. Which is what always amazes me, when you can have an amazing person off the field, be elite on the field, because you have to be a jackass on the field or you won't be elite... especially the more physical roles.

That being said, you're also saying screw my teammates and it's everyone for themselves... and that's what was cool about Tom Brady (who had a wife make more than any players has ever playing in the NFL) and now Patrick Mahomes, clearly leaving some on the table (because he knows he can get all the advertisement deals he wants).... where they put winning over.

Again he's not wrong, he's just saying I'm going to get mine, nothing else matters to me, screw the other tough options they might have to make.

And again, the biggest difference between him and a lot of others is that he has the balls to publicly admit it....

If Packers resign Bak and Jones like they're trying to do, that probably means goodbye to Linsley and King at the very least.

I hate that the Packers don't have another decent OT option... and we're basically going to be back at square one with CB other than Alexander, but WR Adams, WR MVS and CB Alexander will want to get paid in that not too distance future as well.

Also one could argue the Packers have made some questionable choices with cap, Jimmy Graham, Dean Lowry, Billy Turner, etc.

I still find it hard to believe, that after releasing Jordy Nelson, he got a low ball don't sign here offer and Nelson wanted to sign it anyways and Gute turned him away... I can complete understand everyone else, but Gute, you could of saved a ton of money and then released Cobb's $10 million which he never was earning... though Gute says he wanted Adams to become the focal point, and I guess he felt Rodgers and/or Mike McCarthy couldn't do that with Nelson here... but Nelson had amazing chemistry with Rodgers, especially in the red zone... of course the Packers failures in the red zone might of cost Mike McCarthy his job, and we might not of ever gotten LaFleur, but that wasn't planned when making the Nelson decision.

But anyways Packers are already in the bottom 25% of cap space over the next 3 years...

Only thing I see that might make that better is trading Rodgers, releasing/trading questionable lower contracts, and signing less big contracts.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

First off, he's not wrong,

Originally Posted by: beast 

Are you saying he's right? If so, why not just say he's right instead of saying he isn't wrong. Or is there a gray area between right and wrong on this?
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
3 years ago

Are you saying he's right? If so, why not just say he's right instead of saying he isn't wrong. Or is there a gray area between right and wrong on this?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

If you ignore the consequences or ramifications, or assume that their only goal is to resign those guys, instead of the goal to be put the best team together then he's completely right.

He's looking at the individual picture and applying it to the team builders, when the team builders might be applying it to a team picture instead.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
The one thing we fans have going for us is his public comments are very hard line. In reality he may accept something slightly more team friendly. I don't mean a home team discount just that he's trying to get the most he can but understands a notch lower isn't bad either and perhaps his grandstanding helps him from getting an even lesser deal.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (23m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (2h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (5h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (17h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.