wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
3 years ago

Bob McGinn covered the Packers for 38 years. Which makes his opinions regarding the team worth considering. So consider this paragraph from McGinn's review of Green Bay's much-maligned 2020 draft for TheAthletic.com, which started with the Packers trading up from No. 30 to No. 26 to draft Utah State quarterback Jordan Love: "Public niceties aside, my [more]

Continue Reading @ Mike Florio 

Mike Florio wrote:

What a crock. McGinn's comments are 0% based on facts and 100% based on his own opinion.
He's bitter old man who has complained ever since Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel shit canned him a few years ago. They had the decency to let him pretend he retired. Except for the fact that he has to write articles laced with arsenic ever since.

He acts like he has this pipeline into the heart of the Packers organization when in really he is very much on the outside these days and he can't stand it.

Bob, go ahead and ignore every thing Gute, MLF and Aaron have said over the past couple of years. YOU know what they really think because... you say so.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
The guy recently cited a fake Ian Rapoport twitter account as fact in a story.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
McGoon called “California psychics” and they told him so!!!😂
UserPostedImage
Smokey
3 years ago
The "Media" likes nothing better than a real or even a made up story. Boosting their carriers with a sensational national headline is a feather in their caps.

To start with, GB drafting a QB (no matter the round) should not concern Aaron Rodgers. In fact he may welcome Jordan Love. Mentoring/teaching another in fact is good for both of those concerned. It's a win/win situation.

Next, too many are trying to create a controversy because GM Gutekunst did not draft a WR. Let's examine the facts. The Packers have already acquired a WR in veteran Devin Funchess. A RB and a TE were drafted and both will be catching footballs.

Draft picks can, no matter their college record, not all cary their college success to the pro level. However FA WRs with a few seasons of making it onto NFL rosters can have a history of real game experience that can help to eliminate some of the gamble that a drafted rookie presents. I look to see GM Gutekunst do much the same this offseason to improve the WRs as he did last year when he acquired the two Smiths for the Defense.

Next, the addition of A.J. Dillon to the RN/FB squad will not only add a potential bruiser of a RB, but maybe also a good set of hands to catch screen passes or check down passes from #12. No help for Aaron Rodgers, look again. Don't be surprised to see roster slots open up and be filled with underused veteran WRs from other NFL rosters.

LaFleur and his staff and GM Gutekunst are not the former HC/GM. The media tried to stir up a disturbance between Rodgers and LaFleur a year ago, but that story went away as GM marched to a 13-3 regular season record , a Division title, and a spot in the NFC Championship game. Pretty darn good for a team that was faltering just the year before. This GM may not be doing business as the others GMs are, but he is doing his best to supply GB's needs as LaFleur builds the Packers to fit his offensive system and his DC's system as well.

Don't allow the media, no matter how well informed they say they are, to create stories that only benefit themselves. Even supplying post in this forum that prolong such negativity adds fuel to their unproven
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago
First off, sometimes Mike Florio likes to break down certain phrases, let's break down one ourselves. Bob McGinn started with "my sense is".... which is strict up writers talk for "what I'm thinking/guessing". We can guess too Bob, and we're guessing while you used to be unbiased in your coverage, it's gone strict biased bullshit.

First off, let's start with the problem, selecting Mike Sherman to be GM. Wait what? What does Sherman, or him being the GM have to do with this?

I don't have details, and this is partly speculation from fans, but it's always made sense...

While Mike Sherman was GM, some reporters became awesomely good (Including McGinn but a good number of others too) at the draft, via being able to predict whom the Packers were going to take in the first round, a full week ahead of time. We thought they just became great at scouting. But they were so on the money fans speculated inside leaks. Came to find out, Sherman reportedly was having a lot of meals with reporters. And they were somehow learning whom the Packers were correctly interested in.

People questioned, if this was a big deal, or that important, some argued yes, some argued no. My point is, to this is just proof that we're still dealing with that decision that happened, two decades ago.

Because tight mouth Ted Thompson then came in and told them absolutely nothing, even when he talked to them, he still basically said nothing. And they turned on him. The drafts suddenly became better, and suddenly this draft genius, who correctly predicted things for years, had absolutely no clue what was going on. And they got a lot of negative heat, and past it up to Thompson, as they had the prefect job, all the inside scoops, and lost it all because Thompson came in and took Sherman job (whom was still on staff and might of still been having those meals with reporters friends).

Then Thompson gave them the prefect storm to get people mad, drafting a new QB to get rid of America's QB.... (I say that because I know fans of all types whom rooted for Brett, even if they disliked the Packers, they liked Brett).

But some of those reporters will always hate on Thompson and Rodgers replacing their easy meal tickets that made them look like geniuses in Sherman and Favre.

So yes, having a guy getting too friendly with the media is bad, because what he knows might be getting reported, but also it could cause multi-decade long biases.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

First off, sometimes Mike Florio likes to break down certain phrases, let's break down one ourselves. Bob McGinn started with "my sense is".... which is strict up writers talk for "what I'm thinking/guessing". We can guess too Bob, and we're guessing while you used to be unbiased in your coverage, it's gone strict biased bullshit.

First off, let's start with the problem, selecting Mike Sherman to be GM. Wait what? What does Sherman, or him being the GM have to do with this?

I don't have details, and this is partly speculation from fans, but it's always made sense...

While Mike Sherman was GM, some reporters became awesomely good (Including McGinn but a good number of others too) at the draft, via being able to predict whom the Packers were going to take in the first round, a full week ahead of time. We thought they just became great at scouting. But they were so on the money fans speculated inside leaks. Came to find out, Sherman reportedly was having a lot of meals with reporters. And they were somehow learning whom the Packers were correctly interested in.

People questioned, if this was a big deal, or that important, some argued yes, some argued no. My point is, to this is just proof that we're still dealing with that decision that happened, two decades ago.

Because tight mouth Ted Thompson then came in and told them absolutely nothing, even when he talked to them, he still basically said nothing. And they turned on him. The drafts suddenly became better, and suddenly this draft genius, who correctly predicted things for years, had absolutely no clue what was going on. And they got a lot of negative heat, and past it up to Thompson, as they had the prefect job, all the inside scoops, and lost it all because Thompson came in and took Sherman job (whom was still on staff and might of still been having those meals with reporters friends).

Then Thompson gave them the prefect storm to get people mad, drafting a new QB to get rid of America's QB.... (I say that because I know fans of all types whom rooted for Brett, even if they disliked the Packers, they liked Brett).

But some of those reporters will always hate on Thompson and Rodgers replacing their easy meal tickets that made them look like geniuses in Sherman and Favre.

So yes, having a guy getting too friendly with the media is bad, because what he knows might be getting reported, but also it could cause multi-decade long biases.

Originally Posted by: beast 

This is freaking spot on!

I know it's culture to hate on the Patriots, but what I love about Billichick is how he handles things. The guy knows the rules better than 90% of the other coaches out there. He will run his schemes right up to that line of breaking the rules. Listening to him do a press conference is fantastic! If you ask him stupid questions, you're going to get grumpy Bill. Why? Because he doesn't like questions that are disrespect agenda driven so he shuts you down. If you ask him a football question, the guy will go into more details than you ever could have imagined.

That leads me to this thought about Ted Thompson. The guy never gave media anything. Nothing. Ziltch. Why? Because he didn't see how it gave the Packers an advantage. He also acknowledged it's unfortunate for fans, but at the end of the day he's responsible for putting a good team on the field, not appeasing the fans through the media.

You won't hear of Thompson giving media nuggets because he simply didn't care to befriend the media. He didn't want to be disliked, he just wasn't going to be used.

It's said we all have an ego. I can't say I disagree, but everything I've read from Thompson and about him and listening to him speak ... I can't think of a man who has less of an ego than he. And quite frankly, if I was in the media, that would infuriate me to all end. Reason so -- I have an editor, a boss of some kind telling me to get a quote, write a story, etc and this guy won't give me shit.

As for Bob McGinn ... I think he's a well written individual who doesn't validate his sources at all. I have no doubt his information was fed to him. I just think the information over 38 years was fed from sources he had no business trusting. He reminds me of... okay so you know when a movie is out they cite some quote from a source?

"Best movie of the year!" - Entertainment Weekly
"Greatest soundtrack since Grease" - MTV

Those kind of things. Well, it's often times some low level person like receptionist or intern or something like that who works for those companies. Yet, the quote is attributed to their employer.

McGinn is quite similar in my opinion.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
3 years ago
A lot of times those snippets are taken completely out of context, too. "Greatest movie of the year!" might be lifted from a sentence that said something like "Now this could turn out to be the greatest movie of the year -- or the biggest box office bomb of the last two decades."
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
Or like : “PACKERSHOME IS THE GREATEST SITE OF THE CENTURY!”

Of course that one is TRUE!😋
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
3 years ago

Originally Posted by: beast 

Good summary. McGinn wants desperately to "be somebody" again. He's opted to take the Bayless approach because it gets clicks. It's the shorter quicker way to becoming "relevant" and he desperately wants to be viewed as being relevant before he dies.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (10h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (10h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (11h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (12h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.