Barfarn
5 years ago

One of my earliest experiences with Swag was TBuck. He kind of soured me on the whole concept.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Funny, I'll give you one guess as to who Alexander's CB coach was when he arrived in Louisville as a young impressionable wide-eyed Freshman. Good news is that this might be a strong indication he will take to coaching šŸ˜‚.

isocleas2
5 years ago
Buckley while a disappointment in Green Bay stayed in the league another decade after leaving the Packers, he had some good years down in Miami.
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

One of my earliest experiences with Swag was TBuck. He kind of soured me on the whole concept.

Buckley messed up when he talked about how he's already better than Deion Sanders and would break the INT season record as a rookie. After that, he had no chance of winning Packers fans over. And it got worse when Alvin Harper jumped over him and another low was when Packers fans cheered him for simply making a fair catch.

He started off wrong, finished pretty damn well though.

Listening to Jaire Alexander talk, I don't see an ounce of Buckley's attitude in him at all and the dude looks just like he belongs on the field, looks so comfortable out there like its HIS playground.
UserPostedImage
northmianon
5 years ago

My thoughts-
1. You need to post more often. Your comments are very articulate.
2. "Swag" players have to walk a fine line. One of my earliest experiences with Swag was TBuck. He kind of soured me on the whole concept. I have seen too many players go for the INT and miss. The receiver then gets 10, 20 maybe 50 yards. Being conservative has some advantages in that you avoid the big play. But it has its disadvantages too in that you don't stop the offense and get off the field often enough.
3. If he or any player is going to go for the big play I sure hope they have had adequate communication with the other members of the backfield. It has been sadly lacking on too many occasions in the past few years. I just hate watching these guys stand around looking at each other wondering who was supposed to do what.
4. Post more comments.

You are absolutely correct on item number 2. I'll echo Zero2Cool's sentiments in relation to that line, in which Tbuck found himself on the wrong side of it. You could point towards Terrell Buckley's outlandish claims and make the argument that such over-confidence was in fact masking his lack of it in himself. Often times, when we don't believe something within ourselves, but feel we have something to prove; we double down and raise the stakes. Problem is, Terrell Buckley tried to set the bar so high, it had an adverse effect on his hopes of ever reaching it. I never got that sense when listening to Jaire speak.

In regards to point 3, I don't mind if he takes a chance here and there and misreads a jump on a route. It's bound to happen, you just hope that his judgement is sound enough so that it happens less often than it does more. Remember that infamous Seahawks and Packer's playoff game? No, not the one where we systematically deconstructed because we stopped taking chances and tried to play the game out conservatively - The one where Matt Hasselbeck promised victory. That one. Al Harris took a chance and jumped the route and on our way we went. He plays that more conservatively, and there's a good chance they nickle and dime us down and take a field goal to win it. There's also a chance he misreads that jump and that short pass takes them down the field and ends in the same result. That variable is why we watch football though. It's part of what makes it so exciting.

And hey, in the event that he misreads a play.....a 4.38 forty goes a long way in helping you get back in position šŸ˜›.

I'm excited to watch these guys ball.
TheKanataThrilla
5 years ago
Not sure what the doom and gloom is all about. He is a rookie. He is going to learn. Kid is f'ing fast. I like his confidence. Most pro athletes have a huge ego, I love he has self-confidence. If you don't you might as well stick to rec league.
Mucky Tundra
5 years ago
Packers pick invites paralles to Terrell Buckley. Is that good or bad? 

When the Green Bay Packers selected Jaire Alexander out of Louisville in the first round of the 2018 NFL draft Thursday, it was easy to draw comparisons to 1992 draft choice Terrell Buckley.

Both were undersized cornerbacks, and both were taken by Packers general managers making their first draft choices.

Ron Wolf, who chose Buckley at No. 5 overall in his first draft, supposedly made the decision to up the minimum height requirement for any Packers cornerback draft selection to 5-11 after Buckley (5-9) struggled in his first few years in the NFL.

Current general manager Brian Gutekunst appeared to eschew that philosophy when he chose Alexander (5-10 1/4) with the 18th overall choice.

I've always felt that Jason Garrett owes Buckley a large portion of his career earnings for torching him during the 1994 Thanksgiving game in Dallas by simply throwing the ball over his head. Without Buckley, I'm convinced Garrett doesn't last half as long as he does in the league and never goes on to coach. Even more galling about that game was the announcers relating a story heard from Garrett during the week before the game that Garretts mom suggested he just throw the ball high over Buckley. You know you're in trouble when the backup QBs mom sees your weakness and makes suggestions like that.

Putting aside Terrell Buckley horror stories, I like Alexander and I like his confidence and swag or whatever you want to call it. Yeah, it's a problem when someone is celebrating when down 30 and getting burnt all game. I guess I'm tired of watching our guys looking confused and dejected and always reacting to whatever the offense is doing. It always felt like any aggressive tendencies were smothered under Dom. With Pettine and a guy like Alexander, I feel like that's about to change. I can't remember a defense in this league that was successful and meek at the same time.

Another way of putting it to use a Mike Tyson quote, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." Since the Super Bowl win, this D has been getting punched in the mouth and it's past time for that to change. I want this D to start doing the punching and you need guys like Alexander for that. You need his speed to make QBs to pay for mistakes. You need his cover skills to send guys on the blitz. And if we do get punched in the mouth lets hope that self confidence and swagger is there to respond because like Kanata said, if you don't have self confidence, you might as well not be in the league.
ā€œNah. I like having the island. Itā€™s pretty cool...not too many visitorsā€
UserPostedImage
"Iā€™ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago
Let's do a little flashback

Sept. 20th 1992.
The mighty Bengals roll into Green Bay.
1991 AFC. Champions, losing a heartbreaker in The Super Bowl to the 49rs.

The Bengals already a heavy favorite , almost assured victory by knocking out everybody's favorite Packer, starting QB Don Majkowski.

With the Majic Man gone, any hope for victory went with him as he was carried off the field.

The game became ugly, to The Packers credit they did not give up.

Late in the 3rd quarter down 23-10 The defense stiffened and forced a Bengal punt deep in their own territory.

A much maligned(mostly his own doing) Terrel Buckley fields the punt at his own 42 and scampered 58 yards for a Packer TD.

The Packers still down 6 watched with fans as Majic's replacement, some kid named Favre or Favor couldn't get out of his own way, generating nothing on offense.

Undeterred, The Packers D held The Mighty Bengals scoreless.

Forcing them to punt with a little over a minute to go in the game.

The rest as they say is history!

A legend was born that day, but without Terrell Buckleys punt return for a TD , it may never have happened .

I hope Alexander does have Buckleys punt return skills.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
DoddPower
5 years ago
Casey Hayward is doing pretty well with the Chargers and isn't a huge guy. I wonder how he compares:

-Casey Hayward - 5'11, 185 lbs, 4.57 second forty, 30.25" arms, 6.76 second 3-cone drill, 19 reps on bench
-Jaire Alexander - 5'10 and 1/4", 196 lbs, 4.38 forty, 31 1/8" arms, 6.71 second 3-cone drill, 35" vertical jump, 14 reps on the bench

Edit: Add Sam Shields

-Sam Shields - 5'11", 184 lbs, 4.30 second forty, 6.70 second 3-cone, 15 reps on bench, 39" vertical jump
nerdmann
5 years ago

Casey Hayward is doing pretty well with the Chargers and isn't a huge guy. I wonder how he compares:

-Casey Hayward - 5'11, 185 lbs, 4.57 second forty, 30.25" arms, 6.76 second 3-cone drill, 19 reps on bench
-Jaire Alexander - 5'10 and 1/4", 196 lbs, 4.38 forty, 31 1/8" arms, 6.71 second 3-cone drill, 35" vertical jump, 14 reps on the bench

Edit: Add Sam Shields

-Sam Shields - 5'11", 184 lbs, 4.30 second forty, 6.70 second 3-cone, 15 reps on bench, 39" vertical jump

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Dude is like the best parts of both, man. I like him.
ā€œWinning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a whileā€¦you do them right all the time.ā€
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? šŸ„ŗ I think that means you missed more than half of them šŸ˜¢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead šŸ¤Ŗ
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright Ā© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comā„¢. All Rights Reserved.