texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

I'm pretty sure I owe tex an apology. Said no way ha ha would fall. Glad I was wrong.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

No need to apologize- although, I DID say all along he would probably be there at #21. The other teams needing Safetys needed other things more.

I'm just damn pleased he fell to us and Ted had the good sense to take him. This guy is gonna be a star. I won't say better than Nick Collins; I won't say the same kind of player; But he will be a ball hawk and a coverage guy. As for the speed, he seems to have football speed. I can't explain the fairly slow forty times, but I'm confident he will play faster than his time. And pairing him with Burnett will make Burnett better also.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
I happen to agree with this guy...

http://packerupdate.net/?p=33695 

He also wrote a piece just earlier Thursday that Packers didn't need to take a S up high.

He's bummed and so am I.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DoddPower
9 years ago

I happen to agree with this guy...

http://packerupdate.net/?p=33695 

He also wrote a piece just earlier Thursday that Packers didn't need to take a S up high.

He's bummed and so am I.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

This article says that he is good, but not great. So who would you consider substantially better then him that was left on the board? I see potential, but I don't see much that screams "great" to me. Lots of questions with most the players left, especially defenders.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
I'm just disappointed in the way that it fell... it is possible Dix was the highest ranked guy on their board...if he wasn't he had to be close. I would've loved to see where Ted Thompson had Manziel on his board. I don't believe that Manziel was rated lower than Dix but he wasn't ever going to consider taking a QB in round 1 after saying all positions were up for grabs and they would go BPA. Did I really want Manziel over Dix? Absolutely. Manziel has a real chance to be one of those once in a lifetime guys. Would it make sense? I would LOVE knowing that if Aaron got injured, again, we had this kid coming in for him. What if we're 12-2 and slugging it out for home field advantage throughout the playoffs and Rodgers goes down for the rest of the season? Is Matt Flynn going to carry us to number 14? No. A guy like Manziel very well could.

Although, just as unlikely, what if Rodgers suffers a career ending injury Week 1 vs. Seattle? Are you then happy he took a safety because it filled a need vs. taking a QB who could be incredibly special? That is where BPA philosophy really helps you. Ted Thompson is a NEED guy and I don't care what he says...it's ALWAYS need for him in Round 1 and I HATE that. Ha Ha seems good because it's having a need filled even though he may not have been the best player on the board. It really isn't any different than the person who lives paycheck to paycheck who gets paid and goes out and blows all of his money the first weekend he gets it because he has this need to party because he hasn't partied in a long time vs. saving it away for when he might actually need it. Manziel was a rainy day pick who could've paid unbelievable dividends whereas Dix is a guy who'll be an improvement because of the absolute slop we've trotted out there recently.

You don't get many opportunities for special players like Manziel...we had it happen to us, twice, with Favre and Rodgers... I fear we missed our 3rd op. Manziel would've come with a 5th year option...that is when Aaron would be 35-36 and in need of replacement. The way we miss on our 1st round picks with regularity, I would've taken the potential limited immediate dividends of Manziel and considered him one heckuvan insurance policy.

Houston has JJ Watt and some other talent that can rush the passer quite well, but they took the guy who was the most potentially special even though it seemed a little greedy.

Dix better not be the next George freaking Teague another Bama failure in the secondary.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

StoicFire
9 years ago
draftinsider :
"Positive: Two-year starter who finished with 52 tackles, 2 INTs, and 4 PBUs last season after 37 tackles and 5 interceptions as a sophomore. Relatively athletic safety with a complete game. Displays solid sideline-to-sideline range with the ability to get outside the numbers in coverage. Works well with cornerbacks, has a nice move to the throw, and plays physical football. Explosive at the point, drives his shoulders through runners, and plays with quickness. Takes good angles to the action, wraps up when tackling, and also displays good hands for interceptions.

Negative: Must improve his backpedal and be more consistent moving in reverse. At times hesitant and slow to react. Not an intimidator in centerfield.

Analysis: Clinton-Dix was an effective two-year starter at Alabama and comes with upside but is still rough around the edges and needs work completing his game. He also comes with a bit of downside risk as he does not always play with a sense of urgency but if he hits on all cylinders Clinton-Dix will start for a long time at the next level."
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Laser Gunns
9 years ago
Ha Ha is one of the better players in an overall weak safety class.

Toward the end of round 1 there started a run on safety's and coupled with our desperate need of help there, I'm ok with the pick.

with how cheap TJ Ward ended up being, I think we would have been better served going with him in FA, and targeting another position in the draft.

Hindsight I guess 🤷

A position of need has been checked off the list, the reset is up to the coaching.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
play2win
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Thanks for sharing that wpr!

I'll always defer to Ted Thompson and his wishes. In doing that I'm deferring to a multi million dollar scouting and talent evaluation system. Our team is one of the best in this.

Historically, Ted has actually done pretty well with his first picks compared to Ron Wolf and some others. He's not perfect, and has suffered here with some big injuries to Bulaga and Sherrod.

Ted knew he had to hit and I believe he did with Ha Ha.

One more thing, this notion of need over BPA. Just look at Jerry Jones and what he did. I believe that was one, no... two of the dumbest moves on the night. Passing on Manziel (he needs a QB big time), then taking an OG (he needs Defense big time). MIN and DET are close 2nd and 3rd on the stupidity scale.

My point is most teams address needs early. We are poised to advance into a contender role for the Lombardi Trophy. We needed a starter, the best S we could get in R1, and I trust hat Ted did just that in choosing Clinton-Dix.

This is the best I've felt about a draft pick in round 1 in a long time. I wish Ha Ha well in welcoming him to GB.
blueleopard
9 years ago

I'm just disappointed in the way that it fell... it is possible Dix was the highest ranked guy on their board...if he wasn't he had to be close. I would've loved to see where Ted Thompson had Manziel on his board. I don't believe that Manziel was rated lower than Dix but he wasn't ever going to consider taking a QB in round 1 after saying all positions were up for grabs and they would go BPA. Did I really want Manziel over Dix? Absolutely. Manziel has a real chance to be one of those once in a lifetime guys. Would it make sense? I would LOVE knowing that if Aaron got injured, again, we had this kid coming in for him. What if we're 12-2 and slugging it out for home field advantage throughout the playoffs and Rodgers goes down for the rest of the season? Is Matt Flynn going to carry us to number 14? No. A guy like Manziel very well could.

Although, just as unlikely, what if Rodgers suffers a career ending injury Week 1 vs. Seattle? Are you then happy he took a safety because it filled a need vs. taking a QB who could be incredibly special? That is where BPA philosophy really helps you. Ted Thompson is a NEED guy and I don't care what he says...it's ALWAYS need for him in Round 1 and I HATE that. Ha Ha seems good because it's having a need filled even though he may not have been the best player on the board. It really isn't any different than the person who lives paycheck to paycheck who gets paid and goes out and blows all of his money the first weekend he gets it because he has this need to party because he hasn't partied in a long time vs. saving it away for when he might actually need it. Manziel was a rainy day pick who could've paid unbelievable dividends whereas Dix is a guy who'll be an improvement because of the absolute slop we've trotted out there recently.

You don't get many opportunities for special players like Manziel...we had it happen to us, twice, with Favre and Rodgers... I fear we missed our 3rd op. Manziel would've come with a 5th year option...that is when Aaron would be 35-36 and in need of replacement. The way we miss on our 1st round picks with regularity, I would've taken the potential limited immediate dividends of Manziel and considered him one heckuvan insurance policy.

Houston has JJ Watt and some other talent that can rush the passer quite well, but they took the guy who was the most potentially special even though it seemed a little greedy.

Dix better not be the next George freaking Teague another Bama failure in the secondary.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

What are you an insurance broker? It sounds like youre selling the doomsday injury thing too seriously.

If Manziel was the best player on the board, any other team would've taken him. Guess what? They didn't.

Even if we got Manziel, do you really think he'd be willing to play second fiddle? Aaron Rodgers or not, a guy like Manziel in the locker room would be more of a distraction than anything. He'd be the backup QB everybody wants to interview. I don't want that in Green Bay.

Especially when you have guys like Derek Carr, David Fales, and Jimmy Garappolo who are all capable QBs McCarthy can groom.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
play2win
9 years ago

The agreed on best free safety in the draft? Sounds good to me.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Dude! Right???!!!
Dulak
9 years ago
I like the pick!

I dont know much about the draft prospects - the packers safety position really needed help. How many INTs did they get last year? ... ya - thats what I thought.

So if Ted wanted to upgrade our defense ... whom are we going to start with? ... We had one of the biggest FA pickups this year (got to give ted credit for that). So thats our front line; which will help our OLBs get more sacks also.

Im not sold on our ILBs but safety is more important at this moment.

So if hes the best S on the board at #21 - then its all good.