buckeyepackfan
9 years ago
Terrific pick, nobody thought HHCD would fall to the Packers.

Fills the biggest need for The Packers, sexy doesn't win championships!!!!

Let's see what ted has in store for tomorrow night.

There are several round 1 projected players still left on the board, still several ILB's available.

I say Ted stays pat at 53.

Will draft either a WR or ILB, depending on who is available.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
play2win
9 years ago

I think the most baffling thing to me is... FA was available to us to find a decent safety. Anything would've been an upgrade considering we had MD Jennings there. Instead of using FA to fill that need, we use our 1st rounder in a need pick.

He could be a fantastic pick...but this is one of the guys I just didn't want on this team.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Dude. Relax. Ted would not have taken him if he didn't trust him. I wanted Bucannon, but I'm just a fan and not a professional talent evaluator. Comes with pretty high recommendations. We are already a better team.
DakotaT
9 years ago

I think the most baffling thing to me is... FA was available to us to find a decent safety. Anything would've been an upgrade considering we had MD Jennings there. Instead of using FA to fill that need, we use our 1st rounder in a need pick.

He could be a fantastic pick...but this is one of the guys I just didn't want on this team.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I guess we're going to find out, cause he will be a day 1 starter.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago

I haven't seen anything like this. Source? Clinton-Dix is the most instinctive Safety in this draft. Doesn't jibe.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/08/green-bay-packers-select-ha-ha-clinton-dix-2014-nfl-draft/ 

Weaknesses: Though he’s a generally disciplined player, there are inevitable aftereffects of Clinton-Dix’s style that show up on tape. He will flat-out miss tackles at times because he’s trying so hard to get where he needs to be, and better play-fake quarterbacks might have a field day with him at the NFL level. Will occasionally lose track of his target on quick angle routes unless he’s in position to redirect.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

play2win
9 years ago

Terrific pick, nobody thought HHCD would fall to the Packers.

Fills the biggest need for The Packers, sexy doesn't win championships!!!!

Let's see what ted has in store for tomorrow night.

There are several round 1 projected players still left on the board, still several ILB's available.

I say Ted stays pat at 53.

Will draft either a WR or ILB, depending on who is available.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I did not even consider he would drop that far. Really. Very surprised. Look who other division rivals have added recently. Coverage is key.
luigis
9 years ago
God Bless the Miami Dolphins!

I have no idea what they were thinking when they picked but having Clinton Dix feels really good.

Ha-Ha seems to be a true Packers fan I wish him the very best and log career in titletown!

And the Vikes drafted Bridgewater LOL!

Luis
all_about_da_packers
9 years ago

Dude. Relax. Ted would not have taken him if he didn't trust him. I wanted Bucannon, but I'm just a fan and not a professional talent evaluator. Comes with pretty high recommendations. We are already a better team.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I'll just say this: problem with trusting Ted's word based on his "expertise" is that Ted has been downright horrible with first round picks in his tenure (he has busts in Harrell, Sherrod; and non-impact players in Perry and Datone). When it comes to the first round, saying "trust Ted, who must've seen something in him" is pretty much the last thing I want to hear based on Ted's 1st round draft record.

That said, I can live with Ha-Ha. His combine numbers suggest that not only is his speed a problem, he is just mediocre in agility and change of direction. That will hurt in the pass-happy NFL. Yet, I swear whenever I watch some film on him, he plays (speed, agility, change of direction) much faster than his combine times. He looks fast and agile enough, and relative to MD Jennings that is a damn steal.

Plus, given that the two other safties I would've liked over Ha-Ha both went in the 1st round, I'm fine with any talent upgrade at S. Having hindsight of how highly sought after S was in the late first round, I am open to Ha-Ha proving his combine numbers were not a true indicator of his abilities.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
porky88
9 years ago
Love the Pick. First time I've felt great about a first-round choice by Green Bay in along time. I can't think of a better fit, given the need and value. No doubt he and Julius Peppers upgrade the defense. Perhaps we'll see another starter added tomorrow night.

This is what I wrote in my day one coverage .

The Packers haven’t had a legitimate free safety since Nick Collins was forced into retirement because of an injury sustained in 2011. Clinton-Dix has the range to act as the last line of defense on the backend, but he also has the physicality to help in run support. The Packers couldn’t go into 2014 with Sean Richardson and Micah Hyde vying for the spot opposite of Morgan Burnett, so it’s probable Green Bay just added a starter to their defense.

all_about_da_packers
9 years ago
Porky! Was hoping you'd post something here. I'm curious: do you think that Ha-Ha plays faster on tape than his combine times suggest? My only concern is that his physical skills (speed, agility, etc.) are nothing more than okay - which is going to be a problem in our division.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
porky88
9 years ago

Porky! Was hoping you'd post something here. I'm curious: do you think that Ha-Ha plays faster on tape than his combine times suggest? My only concern is that his physical skills (speed, agility, etc.) are nothing more than okay - which is going to be a problem in our division.

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

I don't think he slows down when he puts on the pads. He's not an elite athlete, but I'm not too concern about it. I like his size, physicality, and he's very assignment sound. He trusts his teammates to do their jobs. A lot of times players believe they have to compensate for their teammate and they end up out of position. Morgan Burnett is famous for this. Ha Ha is not like that. That's what I love about him. He takes good tackling angles. Sometimes he goes for the big pop instead of wrapping up. I'm more concerned about that than I am his athleticism. I think he balances out his game well. He shows enough athleticism to thrive on the backend, but he also pounces on ball carriers in run support.

I fully understand any reservations about Ted Thompson in round one. Day 2 is his bread and better. Frankly, I tried talking myself into liking Derek Sherrod, I never got on board with Nick Perry, and I’m still skeptical about Datone Jones. I don’t have the same reservations with Ha Ha that I did with those players. I know Jordy Nelson was a second rounder, but he was their first pick in ‘08. I really thought he was a good fit for the Packers coming out, and for me, this pick feels similar to that one.