Cheesey
  • Cheesey
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN, Associated Press Writer
Mon Aug 25, 9:33 PM ET

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player too good, it turns out.

ADVERTISEMENT

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn't quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league's field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

"He's never hurt any one," Vidro said. "He's on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?"

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

"I feel sad," he said. "I feel like it's all my fault nobody could play."

Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

"I think it's discouraging when you're telling a 9-year-old you're too good at something," said his mother, Nicole Scott. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it. I'd rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner."

League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

"He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

"Facing that kind of speed" is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials say Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

"I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho's mother exhibited Wednesday night," Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.

"You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"

This boggles my mind. More proof that "political correctness" is ruining this country. If the kid SUCKED would they kick him out? Nope.......they'd pat him on the back for trying and give him a "participation trophy". The kid is in the correct age group, he didn't break any rules, yet they want to ban him for being too good. What message does this send to kids today? Excell at something, and you will be punished for it. Mediocrity gets rewarded, and being good gets punished.
WAY TO GO!!!
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
15 years ago
i thought this was ABSOLUTELY ridiculous as well. punish a kid, make him feel like it's ALL his fault...cuz he's GOOD?!?!? insane!!!

on a side note...my 5 year old can throw a pitch 45mph - proud mommy moment!!! this is great but wasn't so terrific when he threw the remote through the window a couple years ago!!! lol.
Packerchick
15 years ago
That is totally insane. Just to make the other kids feel better. How does this kid feel?
I am a woman and I love football.
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
15 years ago

That is totally insane. Just to make the other kids feel better. How does this kid feel?

"Packerchick" wrote:

I would think devastated. Yeah, it would suck for other kids to have to face him, but so what? That teaches kids that not all are as good as some at something. Is that a BAD thing really? It's REALITY! It will teach kids what it's like in the REAL world. We all arn't good at everything. Most people are good at something, and just need to find out what that is. This kid can pitch. So punish him for it? Or make him play at the next level, where the BIG kids might destroy him? Yeah.......blow his confidence to the point where he quits and doesn't learn to develope his talent.
This damn political correctness ticks me off!!!! Really, what good does it EVER do? Give false sense of being important to kids that arn't. Teaches kids that you don't need to really try, just showing up is good enough. Yeah.....thats gonna prepare them for work and life in the real world.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
15 years ago

i thought this was ABSOLUTELY ridiculous as well. punish a kid, make him feel like it's ALL his fault...cuz he's GOOD?!?!? insane!!!

on a side note...my 5 year old can throw a pitch 45mph - proud mommy moment!!! this is great but wasn't so terrific when he threw the remote through the window a couple years ago!!! lol.

"4PackGirl" wrote:

Hopefully he will sign with the Brewers! (Not those awful CUBS!) :thumbright:
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Did any of you see the movie "Major League"? Remember, Wild Thing? That was me in little league. I threw a very hard ball, but no control once so ever. One pitch it'd be perfect, the next I was targeting the ump's head. We had two of the better pitchers in the league so instead of working with me, they threw me in left outfield. Funny Cheesey mentions Cubs, because that was my little league team name hah... how shameful :(

I think its a shame they feel the kid is too good. Maybe bump him into Babe Ruth league then? If the kid has talent, you can't let it go to waste. Personally, I think having a kid pitching 40mph is a good thing for the batters. It'll teach them how to hit a faster ball and make them focus on the ball with their eyes more.

Kids just want to play and for the right reasons. To have FUN. Let the boy have fun, punks.
UserPostedImage
nathaniel
15 years ago
I am absolutely against not letting the kid pitch. They don't want to discourage the hitters, but they're not worried about discouraging the pitcher? Ridiculous. The way kids sports are being handled lately irritates me. The fact that they don't keep score in t-ball bugs me to no end. Since when does losing a game ruin a kid's life? What's wrong with being competitive? Let kids do what they are good at. If a kid is above his league, move him up. Don't just tell him he can't play because he's better than the other kids. It's like I've heard said before...If everyone is special, then no one is.
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago
My niece in Park Falls, Wisconsin was dealt the same type of band in a round about way in the fast pitch softball league.. other parents went to the league and stated if Danielle pitched they were going to pull their kids out. The league came an asked my Sister and her husband if they would be willing to move Danielle up a class in age group. They did and she had a very good season at that level.

While I agree with not letting the kid pitch, if he is dominate at that age level move him up.. happens all the time in sports.. if you are good they move you up in competition.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.. but if I am the kids parents, they have options to allow their kid to continue playing.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
MontanaBob
15 years ago
What a Crock of Crap! :xcensoredx: Next we will hear the National League wants to ban CC because he's too good.

Let him pitch...just maybe some of the batters may become better hitters. What do they think is going to happen when they reach Senior ball or Legion and High School ball???? :crybaby:

When I played Legion ball, I was a catcher, and I do say I had a rocket arm. (At 12 years old I won the Milwaukee Braves Pitch-O-Meter contest by throwing a ball at 78 MPH) One game we played the opposing coaches would be yelling at their base runners to not lead off far or I'd get them. I got 3 pick-offs at first base and 2 at third. After the game their coach came up to me and told me I had a good arm....then added, "And I got a bunch of stupid base runners."
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
TheEngineer
15 years ago
Well that's kind of ridiculous.

But I can understand a potential safety issue.

I once took on a State-level fast bowler (basically your lower college/NCAA level) in a game of cricket with friends. My skill is limited to a year or two in high school, so needless to say getting cricket balls pitched at around 90 mph isn't fun, especially when you don't have the skill level to confidently play them.

But still. Why not just let little Jericho learn to take some speed off?
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (43m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.