Zero2Cool
a year ago

Your actually using more 2024 cap space if you trade him after June 1st, so 2024 free agents would be a bad reason to wait to June 1st.

As far as extensions, they usually take up the least amount of cap space in their first year as the signing bonus is usually their 1st year pay, but the signing bonus gets spread over multiple years of the contract.

So they most likely can give those extensions either way.
​​​​​​

Originally Posted by: beast 

Arw you looking at the images I posted? If so, can you explain how more free space is meaning less? I'm not being dick, I'm seriously confused. 
UserPostedImage
beast
a year ago

Arw you looking at the images I posted? If so, can you explain how more free space is meaning less? I'm not being dick, I'm seriously confused.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

The images show the one year results, of a trade. Which a post June 1st trade is not a one year event, it's a two year event. So the post June 1st image is lacking information.

Let's start with, what is dead cap space? Dead cap space is money that 100% has already been paid out. (Rounding to make the numbers simpler). So the $40.3 million is already 100% in Aaron Rodgers bank account, which is why it's dead. They simply have not yet accounted for it. And they need to account for it 100%.

In a Pre-June Trade, the team has to account for it 100% in the first year, so 100% of the $40.3 million in 2023 cap space.

Pre-June Trade Cap hit
2023: $40.3
2024: $0

In a Post-June Trade, the team accounts for the same exact amount over the next two years (splitting it using NFL accounting rules which is a different subject, just assume the images 2023 numbers are right) and it's a $15.8 hit for 2023.

Post-June Trade Cap hits
2023: $15.8
2024: ?????

But what the remaining amount for 2024? Your images doesn't tell you that. Well, the Packers have to account for 100% of the $40.3 and so far they only accounted for $15.8... this means they have to account for the remainder ($24.5) in 2024. So it's 

June Trade Cap Hits
Total: $40.3

vs
Post-June Trade Cap Hits
2024: $24.5

So what I was saying, is your making more free space in 2023 (which we're not using) just to take that same amount away from 2024... but it all equals out, so unless you're going to spend that extra cash in 2023 (which we're not seemingly paying many FAs and extensions are almost always back loaded based on NFL accounting rules), there is no reason to wait for June and miss out on 2023 draft picks, unless the GM doesn't like the draft and thinks 2024 draft will be much better group of prospects.
​​​​​​
And if you want a link to match what I'm saying

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/ 

They give you more information (look at the cap hits) and notice even they don't talk about the 2024 cap space.
 Screenshot_20230324-102610~2.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Bottom line, unless you're absolutely desperate for cap space now (Packers aren't) or going to use it on FAs in 2023 (Packers don't seem to be), the post June thing is pointless as it all evens out next year. 

If you want draft picks in 2023 draft or not is much more important.
​​​​

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago
The images I showed are saying different than what you said. Each line is a year. 

Maybe I just stinks at math's too though 🤷
UserPostedImage
beast
a year ago

The images I showed are saying different than what you said. Each line is a year. 

Maybe I just stinks at math's too though 🤷

That's because I'm talking about only a 2023 Rodgers trade.

Meanwhile the image is showing you the one year results of trading Rodgers in each year. So the one year results of he's traded in 2023.

Then the one year results if he's traded in 2024.

Then the one year results if he's traded in 2025.

Then the one year results if he's traded in 2026.

The images is showing you the one year results of 4 different trade possiblity with the different possiblity being by year.

Where you appear to be thinking of the image as one single trade possiblity into four years. 
​​​​
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

Where you appear to be thinking of the image as one single trade possiblity into four years. ​​​​

You're saying each year line is suggesting a post-June trade for that year? Rather than the effects of a trade post-June 2023 solely?
UserPostedImage
beast
a year ago

You're saying each year line is suggesting a post-June trade for that year? Rather than the effects of a trade post-June 2023 solely?

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

It's set up for fans can quickly look at a random players contract and figure out which single year they want to suggest to release or trade a certain player.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

It's set up for fans can quickly look at a random players contract and figure out which single year they want to suggest to release or trade a certain player.

Well, W.T.F!  I give up trying to understand this crap. lol

But I will say, even with that understanding, it still seems like Packers get $23 million less damage by post-june 1st trade 
UserPostedImage
beast
a year ago

🤣 

The NFL accounting system (for the average contract) is actually a lot simpler than people realize, but the first you got to stop paying attention to the media because they don't know what they hell they're talking about and make it a hell lot more confusing than it needs to be. I think spottac does the best at breaking it down.

Note: Rodgers has a contract set up like Andrew Brandt has never seen before, so not average, and I don't want to get into that hot mess.

But one suggestion I keep telling people, if you want to be ahead on the cap information, stop following the cap! Why? The cap does nothing but follow the money on a delay, so if you want to be ahead of the cap, simply follow the money (which is a hell lot easier for people to understand).

For example, look at Elgton Jenkins spottac contract... and just scroll all the way to the right where it says cash details
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/elgton-jenkins-29080/#:~:text=Elgton%20Jenkins%20signed%20a%204,average%20annual%20salary%20of%20%2417%2C000%2C000 .

Screenshot_20230324-111713~2.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

If media and fans simply followed the cash details instead of the cap, they would actually know what they're talking about a lot more, as cash basic is what people are used to, so it's what naturally makes sense to them, there is nothing to learn other than what is future guaranteed money (which is kinda self-explained).

Also, the cap is just a man made manipulated accounting system. And people have trouble with the manipulations, and want to lock things in when they shouldn't be, as teams can and will change things whenever they want.

And again, the cap simply follows the cash details on a delay, so if you're up on the cash details, then you're actually ahead of the cap.

​​​​​​

UserPostedImage
beast
a year ago

But I will say, even with that understanding, it still seems like Packers get $23 million less damage by post-june 1st trade 

Nope, once again, the total damage is the exact same, just a matter much you kick back to the 2024 cap. If the Packers have an absolutely need for cap space in 2023, it might make sense, but if they don't, then it doesn't matter.

Pre-June Trade Cap Hit

vs

Post-June Trade Cap Hit
2024: $24.5
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

Nope, once again, the total damage is the exact same, just a matter much you kick back to the 2024 cap. If the Packers have an absolutely need for cap space in 2023, it might make sense, but if they don't, then it doesn't matter.

I can't stress this enough, not being a dick, but how the hell do you know this? lol I feel numbers should be so freaking easy, but each time I think 'EUREKA' it turns out I'm a confused as a three dollar bill!

I appreciate your patience and effort on this btw.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (40m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.