beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
a year ago
CBs are usually extremely hard to find mid-season which makes the Packers finding CB Douglas amazing find especially since other teams didn't seem to work for him.

But if CB Alexander is injured, Packers will need to go looking around for other CBs.

Honestly, if I was GM (and after talking with the coaches to see if they would want him back), I honestly might call CB Kevin King's agent just to see if he's been working out, and possibly willing to do a workout.

I'd also be calling the 0-3 Raiders are asking what they would want for rookie contract, 23 year old, stud slot CB Nate Hobbs... and they would probably hang up the phone after they got done laughing, but I'd still give it a shot, especially since our current CBs seem to be better on the outside. But Hobbs on PFF currently has a 79.7 coverage grade and an 88.8 run stopping grade.

After that, look at the Texans (0-2-1) looking to find out what they'd want for CBs Steven Nelson and Desmond King II...

Nelson is Mr. Reliable often having some of the highest snaps counts season after season, but has only once finished in PFFs top 32 CBs , though three times in the top 36... but too often falls in the 50s range, that being said... if you break his grade down further, Nelson has the 12th best coverage grade... so why is his defensive grade so bad? Well... he's almost got the worst grade for run stopping at 83rd of 85 CBs. Nelson is mainly an outside CB though and in the past has gotten upset that teams don't think he's a starter and asked for his release. But lots of experience and only 29 years old.

But you know what, Packers CB Douglas current grades are 3rd in coverage but 84th in run stopping. And we like Douglas.

Desmond King II is another slot only guy, as he doesn't have the speed and some have thought he should be at S. King needs to be in zone as he doesn't have the pure speed for man, and King's key is versatility, while he's coverage score is below average, his run stopping is up, his pass rushing is higher (though Barry might not use that).

One other, I'd call up, and I'm thinking our Zero2Cool will hate this, but...

Call up the Falcons and ask what they might want for 33 year old CB Casey Hayward... I am not saying pull the trigger, but ask for the trade price... Hayward has show that in the right zone heavy system he can consistently finish in PFF's top 20 grades... though he's gone down lately... we just need a reliable slot guy to hold down the fort until Alexander is back. And instead of being their #1 he can be our #3 or #4.

And if you want someone younger, less proven, ask the Falcons about Mike Ford, whom has mainly been a backup on the Lions, but has looked good in limited duty.

UserPostedImage
bboystyle
a year ago
You mean WR and oline men.
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
a year ago

You mean WR and oline men.

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

I think the Packers might be alright with Bakhtiari, Runyan, Myers, Jenkins and Nijman

And JC Tretter is out there, though he claimed he will refuse to sign with anyone, as he thinks he was blacked balled due to Union stuff.

At WR there is Winfree on the PS, he's already played in 2 of our first 3 games.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
a year ago
Nixon looked very good yesterday. I am not sure they want to sped draft capital on a CB. Everything hinges on JA's injury. How serious is it? If he's out for a couple of weeks they stand pat.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
a year ago

Nixon looked very good yesterday. I am not sure they want to sped draft capital on a CB. Everything hinges on JA's injury. How serious is it? If he's out for a couple of weeks they stand pat.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

As I was watching the game yesterday it seems like our CBS get torched alot, I'm not a stat lookup guy but I would think Stokes would actually be our top CB. I never hear his name unless it's helping on run stops. I know I made comments during the game that Jaire wants to cover the best one-on-one but he was getting beat by a TE yesterday. I am wondering if this defense is more accustomed to running Douglas and Stokes on the outside and running Jaire in the slot? As you said some slot CBs you mentioned are slow and we know Jaire isn't slow so let's move him to the slot and let the defense roll that way. It worked last year why change up the plan? Thoughts as you are awesome with the numbers.

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
a year ago
is it the CB's or Barry's play calling?
bboystyle
a year ago
One thing for sure, if we lose Gary or Clark up front, this D will get exposed. Secondary looks decent so far because of the pas rush. I think we are top 3 if not #1 in QB pressures so far. Once teams negate that, our CBs will have to step up otherwise we are in deep doo doo.
bboystyle
a year ago

is it the CB's or Barry's play calling?

Originally Posted by: packerfanwayoutwest 

Barry has done a great job so far with the talent he has. He is utilizing them perfectly compared to Pettine who forced players to fit his scheme. That last series though is very troubling and hopefully he sees that. This isnt the 90s or early 00's where playing soft or prevent D will help u stop and win a game on D. Its been shown time and time again that it does the opposite. If we were up more than 3 points with less than a minute left, i accept that type of coverage. But even so, the D was shutting the Bucs O down all game long and going soft was unnecessary
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
a year ago

As I was watching the game yesterday it seems like our CBS get torched alot, I'm not a stat lookup guy but I would think Stokes would actually be our top CB. I never hear his name unless it's helping on run stops. I know I made comments during the game that Jaire wants to cover the best one-on-one but he was getting beat by a TE yesterday. I am wondering if this defense is more accustomed to running Douglas and Stokes on the outside and running Jaire in the slot? As you said some slot CBs you mentioned are slow and we know Jaire isn't slow so let's move him to the slot and let the defense roll that way. It worked last year why change up the plan? Thoughts as you are awesome with the numbers.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

PFF gave Stokes a 75.9 and Douglas 73.5 both in the top 5 for defense. Nixon was in the bottom 5 with a 55.8 which isn't terrible for CB4.
As for putting JA in the slot, sometimes it will make sense but not on a regular basis. It doesn't make sense to put an elite CB on a possible WR3 for most of the game.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
a year ago

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (10h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (13h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Around The NFL / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.