Zero2Cool
2 years ago

"Fans" is too subjective. Did the Lions or NY teams want a 7th team? Not really. But the fans of the teams I listed did.

Kevin you are not a typical NFL fan. You are a Green bay Packers fan. (Me too. I can not tell you who the QB or WR1 RB1 is for most teams.) A significant segment of the people who watch games every week watch every single game they can. Even if it is as little as 10% statistic gurus say THAT is significant. My younger brother is a Dr. When we discuss health benefits he is always talking about meds or lifestyle changes that improve well-being. He is always looking at 10% as being a creditable number. I tell him to come back to me when it is truly creditable such as 40 or 50%. They don't look at it that way. Even presidential polls. The survey is usually about 500 people. That is statistically significant.

Getting back to your comment about watching the games, I watched about half of the Dallas game and half of the KC game. But I was busy last weekend and not near a tv. If I had a chance to watch every game, I wouldn't have. I don't watch to spend 3 hours on every game. Too many other things to do. I still will check in and see what is happening. If it is late in the game and there is an upset brewing I will watch. If it is a blow out for the favorite, not.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yeah, I am a football fan. I love football, I do not love greedy exploitation. I've even watched non Packers preseason games. I'll watch a lot of regular season games. I spend my Sunday started at 10am watching pregame and then watch two to three football games and finish off my night around 11pm. I'll catch the Monday night game and sometimes tune into the Thursday night game if I need something to pass out to.

What I do not care for is watching inferior teams getting plowed for the financial exploitation of greedy pricks. Thus, I didn't care to watch Wild Card weekend nor did I care to watch much of the Week 18 games. If those games had any bearing on who the Packers played, or their seeding, I might have paid more attention.

But the only people wanting more games are the assholes. No decent human being wants more football games. The players don't even want it. And like I said, outside of the pathetic excuses for human beings who feel they need something to gamble on, no one would lose any sleep if we had a 16 game regular season with just six playoff teams per conference. NO ONE complained. NO ONE said my goodness, I wish there was an extra game.

But hey, the NFL can sit on their throne of lies about PLAYER SAFETY and undermine everyone's intelligence in the process by adding another game, by adding 7th seeds and forcing players to play on four days rest. If people are fine with that, cool. I'm not. So to answer my question ... no, we do not need 14 teams. Neither do the players. The owners aren't risking their physical well-being. At least the players get paid a crap ton of money and if they accrue enough years they can get a pension. Personally, I feel with the amount the NFL makes, every player should be on a pension much sooner.

BTW, I don't really have anything against those who gamble. I have a massive addictive personality complex that prohibits me from doing such things. I'm the moron who wins $10 and thinks he should bet $100 because he'll win more. 😁
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

There are a lot of good points in this thread.
WPR made me really think.
Back in 1989, the Packers went 10-6, and by the rules then, did not make the playoffs. Who knows what might have happened had they got in?
2010, also 10-6 and won the Super Bowl.
Maybe if there were more NFL teams, 14 making the playoffs wouldn’t seem so high.
But as also was stated, look at how some of the teams that did make the playoffs this year didn’t seem to really belong. Like the Steelers for example.
Could a 7th seed win it all? I’m sure it could happen.
Being a Packer fan, we have had so many years of high expectations because of just how good the Packers have been.
Seeing some of the negative comments from fans of other teams on other sites, like “2 NFC title games in a row, and lost both, the Packers SUCK and will get knocked out of the playoffs this week!”
That coming from fans who could only DREAM of “their” team making it that far!

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I'm pretty sure only two or three teams from wild card weekend have won the Super Bowl. Steelers and Packers.

If the NFL had more teams, sure, 14 teams could be feasible, however, the league cannot field even 16 competitive teams in their 32. So, more teams would be an exasperation of the problem instead of a solution.

Honestly, if the rules weren't so craptastic in the NFL, maybe more teams wouldn't be so bad. The rules make the game unfun. And the implementation of the rules makes it unbearable at times.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago

Yeah, I am a football fan. I love football, I do not love greedy exploitation. I've even watched non Packers preseason games. I'll watch a lot of regular season games. I spend my Sunday started at 10am watching pregame and then watch two to three football games and finish off my night around 11pm. I'll catch the Monday night game and sometimes tune into the Thursday night game if I need something to pass out to.

What I do not care for is watching inferior teams getting plowed for the financial exploitation of greedy pricks. Thus, I didn't care to watch Wild Card weekend nor did I care to watch much of the Week 18 games. If those games had any bearing on who the Packers played, or their seeding, I might have paid more attention.

But the only people wanting more games are the assholes. No decent human being wants more football games. The players don't even want it. And like I said, outside of the pathetic excuses for human beings who feel they need something to gamble on, no one would lose any sleep if we had a 16 game regular season with just six playoff teams per conference. NO ONE complained. NO ONE said my goodness, I wish there was an extra game.

But hey, the NFL can sit on their throne of lies about PLAYER SAFETY and undermine everyone's intelligence in the process by adding another game, by adding 7th seeds and forcing players to play on four days rest. If people are fine with that, cool. I'm not. So to answer my question ... no, we do not need 14 teams. Neither do the players. The owners aren't risking their physical well-being. At least the players get paid a crap ton of money and if they accrue enough years they can get a pension. Personally, I feel with the amount the NFL makes, every player should be on a pension much sooner.

BTW, I don't really have anything against those who gamble. I have a massive addictive personality complex that prohibits me from doing such things. I'm the moron who wins $10 and thinks he should bet $100 because he'll win more. 😁

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

It is all about greed. 100%.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
2 years ago

If the NFL had more teams, sure, 14 teams could be feasible, however, the league cannot field even 16 competitive teams in their 32.

Maybe the league should take the next logical step in free agency and implement the sports equivalent of term limits: teams are not allowed to sign players to contracts longer than five years, and those contracts cannot be renewed. Players automatically enter free agency after their contracts expire, and their former teams are ineligible to re-sign them. Talk about redistributing talent throughout the pool. The nice thing is that it would also redistribute those obnoxious so-called fans who fixate on individual players over teams. We wouldn't have any more unnecessary drama like we did when Green Bay moved on from Favre.

exasperation

"exacerbation"
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago
I'm sure some will think this is the stupidest idea.... but...

How about 16 playoff teams, where the first playoff week is the 7th seed hosting the 8th seed and winner travels to face the 2nd seed the following week.

That would of gave us
Saints @ Eagles
Chargers @ Steelers

The road teams might of won both of these...

Then seeds 2-6 get a bye week... and #1 seed gets two bye weeks.

Yeah probably a bad idea, but I don't think the 7th seeds are nessarily better than some teams behind them.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

"exacerbation"

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

exasperation a feeling of intense irritation or annoyance. That's the word. That's the meaning. That's the feeling. Thanks for coming.

Anyhow, after the Packers got slapped out of the playoffs, maybe Packers need 16 teams in the playoffs so they don't get that extra week off to over think and out smart themselves!! 😬

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (1h) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (8h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.