Zero2Cool
2 years ago
The 2020 NFL Season saw the 7th seed introduced and it's pointless.

(7) Colts 24 at (2) Bills 27
(7) Bears 9 at (2) Saints 21

(7) Steelers 21 at (2) Chiefs 42
(7) Eagles 15 at (2) Buccaneers 31

This isn't helping the NFL product at all. It's putting 2nd seed teams on the field unnecessarily against inferior teams. Imagine if Tom Brady tore his ACL this weekend in a money grab game. There's really zero benefit to this. Even if a 7th seed beats a 2nd seed, they will get trounced the following week against the 1st seed.

I didn't watch much football this weekend, mainly because I was spending time with my daughter, but even if she was at her mothers, I wouldn't have watched much. It feels sickeningly greedy. GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

In the perfect world, the NFL would drop the 7th seed, go back to 16 game regular season and go with just two preseason games AND STOP FOOKING WITH IT. It wasn't broken so stop trying to fix it!

If the NFL expands the playoffs again, just don't do it. They'll end up with a damn tournament and call it Winter Madness!
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
I think it’s getting ridiculous.
It’s getting to be like the NBA, where it’s like, why have a regular season, when almost everyone makes the playoffs.
Just my opinion, of course.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
2 years ago

I think it’s getting ridiculous.
It’s getting to be like the NBA, where it’s like, why have a regular season, when almost everyone makes the playoffs.
Just my opinion, of course.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I agree!!
Good to have you back Cheesey👌

beast
2 years ago
(7) Colts 24 at (2) Bills 27

That wasn't a bad game, but yes the rest have been.

I think the best part (so far) with the additional playoff team, has been that the additional competition for playoff seeding has lasted longer during the regular season.

Teams have competed for longer in the regular season, both for the last playoff spots but also better seeding...

Of course, this could of just been the circumstances of this year and other years need to be proven more.

But Jaguars knocking the Colts out of the playoffs was an interesting story for the AFC, which left the door open for the Steelers. I think the Colts would of had a better game game than the Steelers.

Colts against playoff teams this year,
Lost to Rams by 3
Lost to the Titans by 9
Beat the 49ers by 12
Took Titans to overtime, before a loss of 3
Beat the Bills by 26
Loss to the Buccaneers by 7
Beat the Patriots by 10
Beat the Cardinals by 10
Loss to the Raiders by 3

As for the NFC, what if the Saints stayed healthy at QB? That would of given a 7th and interesting team, they killed the Packers and beat the Buccaneers twice. With backup QB lost to the Titans by 2 points, and with the third QB lost to the Cowboys by 10. Better than the Eagles whom went 0-6 against playoff teams in the regular season.

So I think there can be interesting matchups, but yeah it didn't happen this year
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
Do we need a 7th team? Yes.
Why? MONEY!
The NFL doesn't care one bit about Brady. Or Rodgers. Or Mahomes. Or Watt. Or anyone. There is always someone else ready and waiting to step into the limelight. The NFL doesn't need any specific player. What they need is fans willing to part with their cash. And there are plenty of us. If the NFL makes $8 billion dollars they want to make $9 billion. If they make $9 billion then they will go for $10. On it goes. It's never ending. They will keep riding this horse until the whole system collapses in on itself. When it does they will take their cash and sell out to a new group of billionaires looking for the prestige and notoriety.
There will be an 8th team added to each conference within 10 years. Why? fans demand it. They want their team to be in competition to make the playoffs. It doesn't matter who they will face. Colts and Saints fans would have loved it if their teams got in. Same for 9th place Vikings and Dolphins fans.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
I'm not seeing where fans wanted a 7th seed, or even the 17th or 18th game. In fact, I've been seeing the exact opposite. I would presume only those who bet on sports care about the extra games.

I'll watch the Divisional Round, but didn't watch much more than a quarter or so of the Wild Card Round. The NFL rules and officiating and over saturated product are not that interesting.
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago

I'm not seeing where fans wanted a 7th seed, or even the 17th or 18th game. In fact, I've been seeing the exact opposite. I would presume only those who bet on sports care about the extra games.

I'll watch the Divisional Round, but didn't watch much more than a quarter or so of the Wild Card Round. The NFL rules and officiating and over saturated product are not that interesting.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

TV contracts, seriously seriously wanted more games and fans have watched the games more this year, so fans might not verbally want them, but their actions say they welcomed more, as they were watched.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

"Fans" is too subjective. Did the Lions or NY teams want a 7th team? Not really. But the fans of the teams I listed did.

Kevin you are not a typical NFL fan. You are a Green bay Packers fan. (Me too. I can not tell you who the QB or WR1 RB1 is for most teams.) A significant segment of the people who watch games every week watch every single game they can. Even if it is as little as 10% statistic gurus say THAT is significant. My younger brother is a Dr. When we discuss health benefits he is always talking about meds or lifestyle changes that improve well-being. He is always looking at 10% as being a creditable number. I tell him to come back to me when it is truly creditable such as 40 or 50%. They don't look at it that way. Even presidential polls. The survey is usually about 500 people. That is statistically significant.

Getting back to your comment about watching the games, I watched about half of the Dallas game and half of the KC game. But I was busy last weekend and not near a tv. If I had a chance to watch every game, I wouldn't have. I don't watch to spend 3 hours on every game. Too many other things to do. I still will check in and see what is happening. If it is late in the game and there is an upset brewing I will watch. If it is a blow out for the favorite, not.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
There are a lot of good points in this thread.
WPR made me really think.
Back in 1989, the Packers went 10-6, and by the rules then, did not make the playoffs. Who knows what might have happened had they got in?
2010, also 10-6 and won the Super Bowl.
Maybe if there were more NFL teams, 14 making the playoffs wouldn’t seem so high.
But as also was stated, look at how some of the teams that did make the playoffs this year didn’t seem to really belong. Like the Steelers for example.
Could a 7th seed win it all? I’m sure it could happen.
Being a Packer fan, we have had so many years of high expectations because of just how good the Packers have been.
Seeing some of the negative comments from fans of other teams on other sites, like “2 NFC title games in a row, and lost both, the Packers SUCK and will get knocked out of the playoffs this week!”
That coming from fans who could only DREAM of “their” team making it that far!
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
U n me Cheesey 4eva. 😜
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (18h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.