beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
4 years ago
The NFL are using fines to PR validate wrong referring calls!

Roger Goodell is all about PR, and often has tried to sweep things under the rug, but since he finally got a great ass kissing official head ref, the NFL has failed to follow the rules book!

First off all (before the new ass kissing head ref), they were fining players for a few years there when ever the announcers talked about a huge hit on ST, if the announces noticed it and pointed it out to the audience, the player would get fined even if a legal hit, where if the announcers didn't mention it, then the player wouldn't get fined even if it was an illegal hit.

Then with the ass kissing head ref they changed how they were calling the catch rule, before the rule was changed, and the next off-season, changed the rule to match the way the way they were calling it.

Samething has happened with other rules too, change the way they rule it, before any rule book changes.

And then the new rules they added are vague as hell! Usually rules are specific and clear, but the new rules added recently can have a 1,000 different interpretation based on the person reading it, and the NFL wants I that way, so they can change their interpretation and be correct and point to it, and say they followed the rule.

Now (and read the whole article for more), they're fining players over controversial bad calls! From my understanding of the rules and former official head refs understanding of the rules, this was a perfect text book hit! And yet the player is now getting fined for it, (in my opinion) not because of the hit but for the controversial opinion that it's a completely wrong call and the NFL wants to back up themselves with PR.)

the league office to fine Bills right tackle Cody Ford $28,075 for a blindside block that knocked Buffalo out of range for a potential game-winning field goal in overtime. The officials flagged Ford, prompting a widespread outcry — including a claim from former NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira that it was a bad call.

ProFootballTalk  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago
Yeah, and they didn’t fine Clowney for the head first dive he took at Wentz that took him out of the game.
And I say again, watch for him to try to pull something like that against the Packers tomorrow.
I mean, why wouldn’t he, when he knows the NFL will let him do it with no punishment?

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
The rules and calls/non calls are frustrating. When they can not in 3 words tell us is and is not a catch. A receiver has a different requirement than a running back does. It's stupid.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
2 years ago
PROOF

It took more than 14 months for the NFL to finally tell the truth, but they (probably forgot they lied and) freaking finally told the f***ing truth!

The best part, might be that the NFL probably didn't even mean to tell the truth... just someone creating a training video came across the play as an excellent example and they didn't remember the lie they once told, and the truth slipped out!

Now, will said player please get his fined money back?

NFL now says Cody Ford block that drew big flag in playoff game was legal
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 10, 2021, 7:13 AM EDT

In overtime of a playoff loss in January of 2020, Bills lineman Cody Ford was hit with a huge penalty for an illegal blindside block that knocked Buffalo out of field goal range. At the time, rules experts said it was a bad call, but the NFL insisted it was the correct call, even fining Ford for it.

Now? Not.

The NFL is now saying Ford’s block was legal, even using it as an example of a legal block in an officiating video released on Friday. In the video, NFL Senior VP of Officiating Training and Development Walt Anderson says Ford’s block didn’t meet the “forcible” standard that is required for a flag to be thrown.

Here is the officiating video on twitter.

“Back towards his own end line, and again just makes really more of a nudge block,” Anderson says as Ford’s block is shown. “Not the type of forcible contact threshold that has to be met for a blindside block rule.”

No explanation is given for why the NFL is now using Ford’s block as an example of a legal block if it was worthy of a 15-yard penalty and fine in last year’s postseason.

The call was a big one: If it hadn’t been called, the Bills would have been able to try a 56-yard field goal to win the game. Instead they were pushed out of field goal range, punted, and the Texans won the game with a field goal on the ensuing possession.

profootballtalk  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
The NFL corporation is a complete ass clown shit show.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago

The NFL corporation is a complete ass clown shit show.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

You are being too kind to them😂
The NFL big wigs spend more time covering their collective asses then admitting they are ever wrong.
What good does it do for the Bills now?
Just like I believe it was the Rams the season before getting hosed by the refs on a obvious pass interference call that wasn’t called in the playoffs.
I think In such an obvious missed call, or obvious wrong call, the NFL should step in and fix it before a game is ruined. At least in the playoffs, where it can change the whole game.
After all, they step in otherwise.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
2 years ago
More proof that the NFL is backwards and the NFL is NOT following the NFL rulebook.

PS: If you piss a ref off, they can basically call you for anything after you make a big play... and negate the big play...

The taunting rule now prohibits “posturing” at the opposing sideline, language of the rulebook be damned

During the season, the most important employee in the league office is the one who helps explain controversial officiating decisions. Currently, that job is occupied by (checks notes) no one.

This week, the league tasked former NFL assistant coach Perry Fewell with basically reading from a teleprompter to review a handful of calls for less than two minutes — and for the first time this season. That package of plays included one of the most controversial calls of the year, the decision to penalize Bears linebacker Cassius Marsh for taunting in the fourth quarter of Monday night’s game at Pittsburgh.

Fewell provided a conclusory explanation of the play, explaining that referee Tony Corrente properly threw a flag because Marsh was “posturing” at the Pittsburgh sideline.

The relevant language of the rulebook prohibits players from “using baiting or taunting acts or words that may engender ill will between teams.” In April, Competition Committee chairman Rich McKay explained that taunting would become a point of emphasis in order to eliminate “the face to face, the pointing of fingers, the standing over players on the ground.”

Marsh did none of that. However, the league’s wagon-circling around Corrente’s bizarre call (and even more bizarre hip check) now makes “posturing” a penalty, language of the rulebook be damned.

Fine, then. “Posturing” is a foul. Good luck making that clear and understandable and consistently enforceable.

Posturing. Thou shalt not posture. What is posturing? Does it fit Potter Stewart’s “know it when you see it” definition? We’ll see.

But it’s not just “posturing,” apparently. It’s “posturing” at the opposing sideline that the rules now prohibit. Even if the rulebook doesn’t specifically address posturing of any kind.

It will be interesting to see how the rule is enforced going forward, as to calls made and not made. The problem is that the definition adds even more subjectivity into the decision-making process, allowing officials to have broad discretion that, depending on when and how it’s exercised, will make some think that the league wants to engineer a specific result, or that the NFL has a Tim Donaghy problem. Regardless of whether either thing is actually happening.

https://profootballtalk  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (11h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (13h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Around The NFL / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.