beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
2 years ago
All quotes are from PFF at this link , I didn't want to quote it each time.

Defensive Line
It won’t show up on the stat sheet, but Rashan Gary had one of the best performances of his young career. He had four pressures on 33 pass-rushing snaps as well as three stops in the run game. The unit outside of him struggled to consistently make plays in the run game and was gashed at times.

Linebackers
Packers fans got their first taste of new linebacker Jaylon Smith. He played 15 snaps on the day and the results were… not great. The only real play he was involved in, Smith failed to even lay a hand on the Bears ball carrier in space for a missed tackle.

Secondary
With injuries to Jaire Alexander and Kevin King, the Packers were on their last legs in the secondary. Even still, the Packers corners combined to allow a grand total of 69 yards on 6-of-11 targets for only three first downs. That was decidedly not what most expected heading into the game. Slot corner Chandon Sullivan had one of his best games as a Packer, as he didn’t allow a catch on three targets.

Good for Gary and Sullivan, not so much for Jaylon Smith.

Running Backs
Khalil Herbert looks like a real deal NFL starter. He picked up 97 yards on 19 carries with four broken tackles and a touchdown. He also had another one called back. His decisiveness and acceleration was on full display all day. He looks like a steal of a sixth-rounder.

I'm still confused why Herbert fell so far in the draft, he looked like the best zone blocking RBs to me.

Linebackers
Roquan Smith was everywhere in one of his best performances this season. He missed only one tackle on 14 attempts with five of those resulting in defensive stops. Smith was darn near single-handedly shutting down the Packers' rushing attack Sunday.

Secondary
Jaylon Johnson got the unenviable task of having to follow around Davante Adams all day. It’s safe to say that Adams got the upper hand in that matchup. Johnson had allowed all of 137 yards in the first five games this season, but yielded 92 on Sunday alone.

I'm still wondering how things would of turned out if we drafted CB Jaylon Johnson instead of QB Jordan Love. Like Rodgers might be happily sticking around, we might have Alexander, Johnson and Stokes.

As far LB Roquan Smith, he's an absolute stud out of Georgia, and I'm bringing him up because Georgia might have another one like him in Nakobe Dean coming out.

I'm not big on putting a lot of high draft capital at ILB with the exception of they're a complete back and can cover and play the run.

I'm not saying he is the next Roquan Smith (and currently not rated that high in the draft), but one teams need to keep an eye on.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
beast, with all due respect to your wonderful insights, if the Packers drafted Johnson instead of Love they would not have drafted Stokes. You don't spend 3 first round picks on CB in a 4 years unless career ending injury or something like that. Look how long it took before they got rid of second round bust Josh Jackson.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
2 years ago

beast, with all due respect to your wonderful insights, if the Packers drafted Johnson instead of Love they would not have drafted Stokes. You don't spend 3 first round picks on CB in a 4 years unless career ending injury or something like that. Look how long it took before they got rid of second round bust Josh Jackson.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Fine, they trade back and draft Johnson in the 2nd round... better? 😜 jk lol 😅

And Packers drafted King, Alexander and Stokes all within 5 years... so what's wrong with doing it in 4 years?

No, your probably right, though I'm okay with over drafting, especially the important position you can get on the field and with nickel defenses, you have three CBs on the field 80%+ of the time, so you could draft three starters.

Also QB, CB, OT and Edge Rushers are considered the top four most valuable positions in the game and so far all of Gute's first selections have been one of these.

And S and TE are considered to be the next tier and all of Gute's 1st round picks have been these.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago

Fine, they trade back and draft Johnson in the 2nd round... better? 😜 jk lol 😅

And Packers drafted King, Alexander and Stokes all within 5 years... so what's wrong with doing it in 4 years?

No, your probably right, though I'm okay with over drafting, especially the important position you can get on the field and with nickel defenses, you have three CBs on the field 80%+ of the time, so you could draft three starters.

Also QB, CB, OT and Edge Rushers are considered the top four most valuable positions in the game and so far all of Gute's first selections have been one of these.

And S and TE are considered to be the next tier and all of Gute's 1st round picks have been these.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I don't disagree that it is possible and can be a good thing in the long run. Just not probable.

Z I don't know why the jersey issue. I found it strange too. Some teams like to wear white at home. That way the fans see lots of different colors from the opponents. Some wear white down south to mitigate the sun/heat. Some teams (mainly college have an "all white" or "all black" game were they want the fans to dress in that color too.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
2 years ago

I don't disagree that it is possible and can be a good thing in the long run. Just not probable.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

You're right... but just looking at BPA, if Packers pass on Stokes (because they picked a CB in the 1st the previous year)... I'm not sure whom they take... as teams took three straight edge rushers after that (which Packers looked pretty good there at the time of the draft), another CB, then small WR, RB and S... just I could see Gute going with CB just as much as the others...

I guess they might grab an edge rusher as the 4th one as a potential replacement for Preston Smith's 2022 contract.

Or a great route runner in Elijah Moore, though he's a small slot WR. But that's not the type Gute normally likes.

Maybe the top DTs, but they're seriously struggling, then again DTs normally serious struggle as rookies.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago

You're right... but just looking at BPA, if Packers pass on Stokes (because they picked a CB in the 1st the previous year)... I'm not sure whom they take... as teams took three straight edge rushers after that (which Packers looked pretty good there at the time of the draft), another CB, then small WR, RB and S... just I could see Gute going with CB just as much as the others...

I guess they might grab an edge rusher as the 4th one as a potential replacement for Preston Smith's 2022 contract.

Or a great route runner in Elijah Moore, though he's a small slot WR. But that's not the type Gute normally likes.

Maybe the top DTs, but they're seriously struggling, then again DTs normally serious struggle as rookies.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Maybe Moore. Maybe Gregory Rousseau. Perhaps trade back.

UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
2 years ago
I absolutely loved the idea of drafting Gregory Rousseau, but that's when I thought he was big enough to transfer over to DT... then after seeing him more, I realized, he's probably like Z and Gary, mainly edge guys, but absolutely, that would of been a good pickup!

And I'm still surprised the Ravens didn't grab him... I thought the Ravens needed pass rush and they were in perfect position two grab two of them! Instead, they draft a WR thinking that's who the Packers were interested in (their words) and wouldn't fall to their 2nd selection a few spots later.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (11h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (17h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (18h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.