dfosterf
2 years ago
We have no cap room. Next year is worse, nor better. I don't know what more this front office could possibly do. I get the whole Festivus holiday we had yesterday, but this is a last hurrah for us as far as assembly of a great team on paper.
beast
2 years ago

We have no cap room. Next year is worse, nor better. I don't know what more this front office could possibly do. I get the whole Festivus holiday we had yesterday, but this is a last hurrah for us as far as assembly of a great team on paper.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Yes, but in theory signing a new deal with a good sized signing bonus doesn't put much on year 1 of the cap, so really the media has fans trained wrong when only looking at one years cap, instead of muliple years when talking about signing players to multiple years.

But yes, were probably going to have to drop Preston Smith and let Kevin King leave, as well as some of the WRs like Adams or MVS, St. Brown and Funchess.

Or trading Rodgers might open up enough to keep them. But as long as they have a third year on Rodgers contract (which Gute said they still currently do, while suggesting that could change), then I think they're keep Rodgers two years.

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
2 years ago

Yes, but in theory signing a new deal with a good sized signing bonus doesn't put much on year 1 of the cap, so really the media has fans trained wrong when only looking at one years cap, instead of muliple years when talking about signing players to multiple years.

But yes, were probably going to have to drop Preston Smith and let Kevin King leave, as well as some of the WRs like Adams or MVS, St. Brown and Funchess.

Or trading Rodgers might open up enough to keep them. But as long as they have a third year on Rodgers contract (which Gute said they still currently do, while suggesting that could change), then I think they're keep Rodgers two years.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I honestly do not see how.

Cheesey
2 years ago
This whole mess was avoidable. Yes, the FO should have at least listened to what Rodgers had to say.
Of course, who knows? Maybe they did, and just did what THEY thought best.
And again, you only have 53 roster spots, and a salary cap to deal with. Rodgers eats up a large part of the cap. So...:he deserves part of the blame as far as the reason why some of the other higher paid players were let go.
Like with Jordy, he was coming off a very serious knee injury, and getting up in age. So it’s not just money, but roster spots.
And as far as last season, Rodgers earned some of the blame for not getting it done in the NFC title game. He had several chances to get it done, and failed.
JMO of course.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
2 years ago
Let's all move forward and enjoy what we have. We got screwed as fans this off season in so many ways, but we also got high light films up the ass, much to the chagrin of so many other fan bases, so at least we got that.

Anything to further piss off the Vikings fans is a personal net plus for me,, same with the Bears, but to a lesser degree, for me
As to the Bronco fans....

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

ONE YEAR!

beast
2 years ago

I honestly do not see how.

Signing bonus gets spread evenly over the first five years of a players contact.

So say if a players gets a 4 year, 50 million dollar deal (12.5 million per year) with 20 million signing bonus.

Actual Money payout being
Year 1: $20 million
Year 2: $5 million
Year 3: $10 million
Year 4: $15 million
Total: $50 million

But while the signing bonus is given in year 1, it's actually spread out, so the actual cap accounting would be.

Year 1: $5 million (1/4th of the signing bonus to each year)
Year 2: $10 million
Year 3: $15 million
Year 4: $20 million

So the cap hit is a lot less in a players first year. You can also simply guarantee it to a player, but place it in a further year. So it's 100% guaranteed, but they don't get it until year 3.

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
2 years ago
Thank you. I just fell off that damn turnip truck and lost my bearings. I was coming back from my visit to the over the cap website headquarters that ridiculously put the green bay packers as completely fucked relative to the rest of the nfl as regards cap room next year, excepting one other also fucked team. I shall ignore the fact that we already reworked virtually everyone's contract to get under the cap this year, so I can feel good also, in my ignorance of the totality of our cap situation
Whew.
I was worried before. Screw that minus 43 million 425 thousand and pocket lint negative cap space they are ascribing to us in 2022.

Go look.
Cheesey
2 years ago

Let's all move forward and enjoy what we have. We got screwed as fans this off season in so many ways, but we also got high light films up the ass, much to the chagrin of so many other fan bases, so at least we got that.

Anything to further piss off the Vikings fans is a personal net plus for me,, same with the Bears, but to a lesser degree, for me
As to the Bronco fans....

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

ONE YEAR!

😂 I LOVE your post!
All the Vikings and Bears fans who were celebrating our loss of Rodgers......😂😂😂😂

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!🤪
UserPostedImage
dhazer
2 years ago
To be all honest here I feel confident in Love at QB. We have the weapons around him even if Rodgers thinks they suck. We have the o-line we have the running game and we have receivers that can help him. But the biggest reason I have confidence is that Love will run the offense and not change the plays to what he wants. When Love takes over next year we will gain around $40 million in cap space and same with the following year which means you can take care of Jaire and others.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago
Love isn't ready, coaches already said as much, I think the kid had potential and thought the Patriots would draft him...

But I don't know why people blindly think he'll be a good starting QB just because he's a 1st round QB...

Bears just got done with their 4 years of a first round QB (and had many other 1st round QBs), and he was drafted way higher!

It's probably going to take Love a year of adjustments even starting. Look at Rodgers first year starting, we didn't make the playoffs. There will be a decline, at least at first.

And very very very few teams have had back to back hall of fame QBs, and I don't believe any team has 3 peated it, so the odds are extremely against it.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.