Zero2Cool
2 years ago

From treatment of former players, to free-agent recruiting to lack of commitment beyond the upcoming season, Aaron Rodgers laid out what went wrong with his relationship with the Packers.

Aaron Rodgers response

“I think there was a lot of things that transpired. This wasn’t just a draft-day thing. It started with a conversation in February, after the season ended. I just expressed my desire to be more involved in conversations directly affecting my job. Also, I wanted to help the organization maybe learn from some of the mistakes in the past, in my opinion, about the way some of the outgoing veterans were treated, and just the fact that we didn’t retain a number of players that I felt like were core players to our foundation, our locker room, high-character guys. I’m talking about Charles Woodson, Jordy Nelson, Julius Peppers, Clay Matthews, Randall Cobb, James Jones, John Kuhn, Brett Goode, T.J. Lang, Bryan Bulaga, Casey Hayward, Micah Hyde, guys who were exceptional players for us but great locker-room guys, high-character guys, many of them whom weren’t offered a contract at all or were extremely low-balled or were in my opinion not given the respect on the way out that guys of their status and stature and high character deserved.

It kind of progressed from there into a commitment for the 2021 season and beyond. That really wasn’t given at any time. So, for me, I had to assess the situation, not necessarily wanting to be a lame-duck quarterback, especially after an MVP season, which I think you can understand. And then the other part, in February, was wanting to be a part of conversations involving free agents, which has never happened in my career. I’ve trained with a number of NFL guys most of my career in the offseasons. My agency, Athletes First, has sent a number of high draft picks over the years. I’ve tried to pass along information. It hasn’t really been used, shall we say, so I wanted to offer my services as a recruiter.

I think we can all understand Green Bay isn’t a huge vacation destination. People are coming here to play with me, to play with our team, and knowing they can win a championship here. The fact I haven’t been used in those discussions is what I wanted to change moving forward. And I felt like based on my years, the way I can still play, that that should be a natural part of the conversation.

As that progressed from that point, nothing really changed on that front, so we got into March and the conversation changed, as I felt like if you can’t commit to me past 2021 and I’m not a part of a recruiting process in free agency, if I’m not a part of the future, then instead of letting me be a lame-duck quarterback, if you want to make a change and move forward, then go ahead and do it. That, obviously, didn’t happen. Like I said, it wasn’t a draft-day thing. There were conversations for a number of months leading up to that. Post the draft, I think what basically happened is they said, ‘We’ll give you some money now. Let’s see if we can throw some money at you.’ I said from the start it wasn’t about the money. Obviously, I didn’t show up for the offseason program or minicamp. To me, it was bigger than this. It was about trying to be a resource for the organization that I care about and love so much.

So, when the money came at me, the other part is, the back story to that is, after the season, there’s a part of me that did think there would be a conversation about an extension based on my cap number this season, next season. It seemed natural based on the way I played to at least have a conversation about it. There wasn’t a conversation, not until into May. And that to me seemed like an analogy you guys would understand. You guys have a fantastic year at work, you write some great stories, you go to your boss and say, ‘I just had an incredible year, I think I deserve a pay raise or some security’ and the boss says, ‘Ahh, let’s just see how it goes.’ A couple of months down the line, you get another job opportunity, you go back to your boss and say, ‘Hey, I’ve got this amazing job.’ And they say, ‘Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. No, no, no, we love you. We do want you to stick around. We do care about you.’ It’s just not the same feeling, you know?

So, like I said, it wasn’t about the money. The way that felt kind of just double down on that. Nothing really changed throughout the summer. There were obviously some developments in the last week or so, but I was really working on myself and my own mental state throughout the summer, and at various points decided if I wanted to even keep playing. But the fire still burns and I wanted to be on the football team. We’ve got some things figured out in the last few days and I’m here."

Continue Reading @ Sports Illustrated 

Sports Illustrated wrote:

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
He could have said these things months ago.
Instead he let the media train go off the tracks, leaving Packer fans twisting in the wind, not knowing what was going on.
I know he didn’t “owe” it to us.....although, we backed him for all these years, didn’t we (as Davante Adams said) “earn” that with our loyalty?
I’m just saying It just would have been nice.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2 years ago

Instead he let the media train go off the tracks, leaving Packer fans twisting in the wind, not knowing what was going on.
I know he didn’t “owe” it to us.....although, we backed him for all these years, didn’t we (as Davante Adams said) “earn” that with our loyalty?

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

He GOT the media going. An hour before the draft? Come on man. Aaron's always been a mental case. This isn't anything the team did wrong, other than not giving Aaron control.

If they really trade for Cobb, they will have given Aaron control. What precedent does thst set? If you have an issue with the team, have a giant tantrum, get your way.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago

Ever play high stakes poker? It's best not to tip your hand. If someone goes off the deep end because of false rumors it's not his fault. There was a leak somewhere. Aaron said it wasn't him but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come from inside his support group. I have a hard time understand how the leaks would have benefited GB, Inc unless someone was trying to make Aaron look bad. But that would not endure him to the FO and make him want to come back.
I'm not trying to pick on your specifically Cheesemeister. Just making a general comment and you had the last post. In general I have had a hard time believing anything that was said the whole off season. There are so many media jerks that look only for the clicks.
Is there has been discontent and dissatisfaction on Aaron's part of the front office for a while now but it only made the news this off season. Kinda of interesting. He more or less got over the Love selection after downing a half bottle of whiskey or tequila or whatever he drank. All signs pointed to him coming back to GB to play at least one more season. He was never going to retire. He was never going to give up that much money. As he said he still has a passion to play the game. He was never going to be traded. He hates the OTAs and mini camps. Most vets do. That's why teams put bonus money into the contracts to get them to show up.
Time to turn the page.
The 2021 season is here! And we have Aaron Freakn Rodgers as our QB!! 17-0 baby!!!
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
This is absolutely beautiful baby. It's gets 2 thumbs up and 5 stars on my review rating.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago

Ever play high stakes poker? It's best not to tip your hand. If someone goes off the deep end because of false rumors it's not his fault. There was a leak somewhere. Aaron said it wasn't him but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come from inside his support group. I have a hard time understand how the leaks would have benefited GB, Inc unless someone was trying to make Aaron look bad. But that would not endure him to the FO and make him want to come back.
I'm not trying to pick on your specifically Cheesemeister. Just making a general comment and you had the last post. In general I have had a hard time believing anything that was said the whole off season. There are so many media jerks that look only for the clicks.
Is there has been discontent and dissatisfaction on Aaron's part of the front office for a while now but it only made the news this off season. Kinda of interesting. He more or less got over the Love selection after downing a half bottle of whiskey or tequila or whatever he drank. All signs pointed to him coming back to GB to play at least one more season. He was never going to retire. He was never going to give up that much money. As he said he still has a passion to play the game. He was never going to be traded. He hates the OTAs and mini camps. Most vets do. That's why teams put bonus money into the contracts to get them to show up.
Time to turn the page.
The 2021 season is here! And we have Aaron Freakn Rodgers as our QB!! 17-0 baby!!!

Originally Posted by: wpr 

He drinks scotch.😉

I know the media dorks all wanted to be the one that got it right. Turns out, none of them did!
One thing I don’t get....did Rodgers ever bother to take his list of grievances to the FO before this? Or did he just suck it up and do HIS job?
Why all of the sudden does he get a bug up his butt?
Or did he complain before and be ignored? Why now?
I’m just trying to understand.
I know I’ll never know the real truths of it all.
It was just a frustrating off season.
Glad the drama (soap opera) is over.......for now, at least.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago

He drinks scotch.😉

I know the media dorks all wanted to be the one that got it right. Turns out, none of them did!
One thing I don’t get....did Rodgers ever bother to take his list of grievances to the FO before this? Or did he just suck it up and do HIS job?
Why all of the sudden does he get a bug up his butt?
Or did he complain before and be ignored? Why now?
I’m just trying to understand.
I know I’ll never know the real truths of it all.
It was just a frustrating off season.
Glad the drama (soap opera) is over.......for now, at least.

Without an authorized biography (It ain't happening) we will never truly know the details. Like it or not, the fake news summer of 21 kept us engaged during the dead time between the draft and the opening of training camp. Unless you want to waste your time on the insignificance of Bucks and Brewers but who cares about that? BTW- I took my daughter to the Brewers-Sox game last Friday. It was close until the Sox pitching fell apart. She was a little disappointed. It didn't matter to me. I am pretty sure I've seen a grand slam in person before but I can't remember when or where. Hopefully now I will remember this one because of being there with my little girl. It was kind of funny to watch half the crowd stand up and walk to the exit almost before the ball landed in the seats. I was really surprised that the first place Brewers didn't have more fans in the stands than they did. It seemed like it was 60-40 Sox or more. There was still 20-30% of the seats available.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

He could have and he didn't and that was the right decision. Not because I've said it from the start, but because he explained how he didn't want to get into a pissing match with the organization, which he is right. I do not understand how or why this is difficult to see. The Packers messed up by leaking information. Something I also pointed out that most folks glossed over. 🤦‍♂️ 😁
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago

He could have and he didn't and that was the right decision. Not because I've said it from the start, but because he explained how he didn't want to get into a pissing match with the organization, which he is right. I do not understand how or why this is difficult to see. The Packers messed up by leaking information. Something I also pointed out that most folks glossed over. 🤦‍♂️ 😁

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

So....it was the Packers that leaked it? I didn’t see where there was proof of that.
Now Rodgers said he didn’t want to get in a pissing match.
Maybe his “camp” leaked it.
I don’t know who to believe with this.
Taking Rodgers word for it. I don’t know.....how can you tell who to believe? There’s probably truth on both sides.
We never will know for sure.

UserPostedImage
warhawk
2 years ago
I was surprised by the number of issues that Rodgers brought up to the FO who just basically responded with "whatever". I'm not saying the Packer brass needed to buckle on these issues but but to just dismiss them when your talking about a 16 year vet and probably top three most important Packer in history isn't very smart either.

What really made me shake my head is when Gute and Murphy realized they were in trouble they ran out to the west coast and offered Rodgers more money. What? If I'm Rodgers I'm realizing these guys aren't listening to a thing I'm talking about.
Again, I'm not saying I agree that Rodgers should be given the additional role as Assistant GM, however, I do believe he has earned to be given a platform where his voice is heard. I guess what I'm saying is this whole drawn out soap opera could have easily been avoided. After all how hard would it be to listen to the guy and he made it clear anything he had to say fell on deaf ears.

I certainly cannot give the FO very good grades on this one, however, if I'm Rodgers I wouldn't lead with a demand for Cobb either. I understand the boys were going to have to eat this first one but if I'm Aaron I use that freebee better than that. Just makes this whole ordeal that much more bizarre.
"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (2h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (5h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (6h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (16h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (23h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.