Zero2Cool
2 years ago

The NFL just informed clubs that if a game cannot be rescheduled during the 18-week season in 2021 due to a COVID outbreak among unvaccinated players, the team with the outbreak will FORFEIT and be credited with a loss for playoff seeding, per sources.

Massive implications.

The league will make every reasonable effort, consistent with underlying health and safety principles, to complete the full 272-game regular season within the current 18 weeks and all postseason games as scheduled, in a safe and responsible way.

You can count DeAndre Hopkins as someone who doesn't agree with this approach. What do you think about this?

@DeAndreHopkins : Never thought I would say this, But being put in a position to hurt my team because I don’t want to partake in the vaccine is making me question my future in the @Nfl

Full Memo.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
Forcing people to take a vaccine, which they have no idea if it’s safe. Oh, they CLAIM it is. But what are these claims based on? Not on SCIENCE. Just “Trust us! It’s SAFE!”
They have drugs that they take YEARS to test before they will OK them for people to take. Even drugs for people that have terminal diseases, that have nothing to lose. They can’t get the drugs because they haven’t made it through the years of trials.
But we are supposed to take these untested drug, based on WHAT???
No one should be forced to take them.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
2 years ago
It's amusing that the "personal responsibility" crowd is upset that teams and players should be... held responsible... for their actions?

Listen, in all seriousness, playing football is a privilege, not a right. If any of the players think the risk of the receiving vaccine outweighs the risk not getting it, they're welcome to not get it. There is (at the moment at least) no requirement for players, coaches, or anyone else to get vaccinated.

Being a professional football player means sharing the same space with tens of thousands of people, and traveling around the country. If players, for whatever reason, don't want to get vaccinated, they should take precautions to not get or spread covid. If they don't do that, they should be held responsible for their actions.
blank
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2 years ago
The NFLPA might make this very interesting, especially if they file suit in the right jurisdiction.

Further, the vaccines don't prevent the disease...they prevent those who get the disease from getting sicker than they otherwise would have. If vaccinated players test positive, they still test positive.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
earthquake
2 years ago

So what happens if 32 players (or 64 or 96 or more for that matter) 1 player on every team (or two or three or more for that matter) decides not to get vaccinated...no games?

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Umm, I'm going to say nothing? Because there is no requirement to get vaccinated?

But more specifically, since this rule has to do with covid "outbreaks", I imagine that a single player from each team would simply be isolated from the team until they no longer test positive. IE: same rules as last year.

From what I understand, unvaccinated players will need to be tested, again similar to last year, so it should be relatively easy to keep outbreaks from happening, unless there is a team that doesn't test or something like that and ignores it.
blank
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

So what happens if 32 players (or 64 or 96 or more for that matter) 1 player on every team (or two or three or more for that matter) decides not to get vaccinated...no games?

The NFLPA might make this very interesting, especially if they file suit in the right jurisdiction.

Further, the vaccines don't prevent the disease...they prevent those who get the disease from getting sicker than they otherwise would have. If vaccinated players test positive, they still test positive.

I'm not sure about this, but if I'm a player, I would be kind of pissed this comes out three weeks after the 2021 opt-out deadline. This might have influence several players who are not comfortable with the vaccine to opt-out. Now they are with one less option at their disposal.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2 years ago
NFL Covid restrictions

so how often do they test the vaccinated players? And what happens if THEY test positive. And what about players who had it/have antibodies?
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
earthquake
2 years ago

I'm not sure about this, but if I'm a player, I would be kind of pissed this comes out three weeks after the 2021 opt-out deadline. This might have influence several players who are not comfortable with the vaccine to opt-out. Now they are with one less option at their disposal.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I'm not sure how likely that is, or rather, how many people that applies to. There were relatively few opt-outs in 2020, and that was before we had a vaccine, when testing was very limited, etc. At this point, if players are surprised that there are rules that punish careless behavior...

In any case, I'm not going to feel sorry for millionaires that have to make the "difficult" decision to earn millions more dollars and, you know, take basic precautions, wash their hands, avoid hanging out at clubs, and the like, vs sitting out the season without pay so they can do whatever it is they would rather do.
blank
earthquake
2 years ago

NFL Covid restrictions

so how often do they test the vaccinated players? And what happens if THEY test positive. And what about players who had it/have antibodies?

Good questions, I don't have the answers and I'm not sure how well defined it is from the NFL's perspective, but I'll take a guess:
1. How often for vaccinated players? Probably whenever they come into contact with known individuals who have tested positive. Possibly randomly or every week or two, I'm curious to know as well. I bet this will be clarified soon.

2. What happens if they test positive? Probably the same thing with unvaccinated players, they would need to quarantine. It mentions they won't need to if they're simply exposed to, but I would imagine that players who have been exposed to it would be tested, and if negative, wouldn't need to quarantine. I don't know the specifics here but this seems straightforward. If I was running a facility I would test everyone (vaccinated or not) as soon as a single person tests positive.

While it's possible to get and transmit covid if you've been vaccinated, the prevailing thought is that it should happen (perhaps much) less frequently. I think we're waiting on clinical trials that study spread rate for vaccinated folks to say for certain. But we know the vast majority (something like 98%) of those who are getting covid now are unvaccinated, and it's likely that unvaccinated individuals are spreading it at the highest rates.

In any case, if you're a football player and traveling the country, entertaining hundreds of thousands of people, it would be reasonable to continue taking the same general precautions even if you're vaccinated. So whether there should be special exceptions for those who are vaccinated is certainly a debatable point.

3. Players with antibodies who are not vaccinated - that's an interesting sub-group. I imagine the concern there is how likely they are to get mutations of the virus, like the delta variant, which the vaccines so far look pretty well suited to handle - the Pfizer and Moderna ones at least. It's probably a difficult to gauge/test and perhaps rather small group as well, so I can understand why there aren't special rules for this group.

Now back to the main topic of the thread. I look at the outbreak rule as more or less a "don't be completely incompetent" sort of rule. The NFL managed to play all of the games last year, a somewhat remarkable feat, and there were only a handful instances where the outbreaks were so bad that games were in doubt. With the majority of players already vaccinated (65% with one shot, as of about a month ago), outbreaks should be less likely to occur, so it's possible that the rule ends up being a non-issue. Plus, the NFL really, really likes money, and really, really doesn't want to miss even a single game.

But "Unlikely scenario which the NFL will do everything in its power to prevent, has consequences" is a much less compelling headline.
blank
beast
2 years ago
This is all about nothing... how many games did the fail to reschedule last year? Oh yeah that's right, zero...

And last year with no vaccines is probably worse than this year with some vaccines.

Sure some players will miss games, but I don't think entire teams (but I could be mistaken).

But either way, you make millions, to tough it up buttercup!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (4h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (7h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (10h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (11h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (21h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.