Zero2Cool
2 years ago
Kind of interesting that some of Rodgers closest friends say it's fixable. Yet, reporters sing a different tune. James Jones says it's not about the GM.

SPEND THE FEW MINUTES LISTENING TO JAMES JONES!!

It sounds like Aaron Rodgers is upset that the organization is letting players go a year too soon, rathe than keeping them. That's the "its about the people" philosophy that Rodgers is speaking about -- as I speculate. James Jones cites Charles Woodson, Jordy Nelson, Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers, etc. We all know Rodgers wasn't happy about Woodson being let go.

I further speculate that Rodgers wants input on when some guys are being let go. He doesn't want input on who is brought in, who is drafted, or any of that. But when it comes to releasing a guy or not re-signing a guy, I think, that's where he wants some input so guys like Clay Matthews, Jordy Nelson, Charles Woodson, Julius Peppers can hang around for one more year. And I think it's because Rodgers understands that the team needs leadership more than youth.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
I have never strapped it on for an NFL game but I think keeping players with declining talent with a higher salary than letting the walk and bring in a young, more cost effective player who needs the time to grow is totally wrong.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
Plus keeping older players doesn't allow others to grow into the leadership role.
It only focuses on the immediate team ad doesn't look down the road at what the team will be like in 3,4 or 5 years.

IF that is what Aaron wants it is the quickest way to cripple an organization. Aaron is extremely smart. I can't believe this is the hang up.

Organizations in every sport have been culling the older players off the team and bringing in younger bodies for more than 100 years. The is nothing wrong with it. There is nothing insidious about it. Making the tough call and letting the aging veteran go is almost always the mark of a good organization not a poorly led one.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
2 years ago
A few thoughts IF, in fact, it's true that Rodgers wants more input in when certain players are on the chopping block.
First, you can judge with 100% certainty if it was a good decision or bad to let a player go.........a year or more after the move was made.
Second, what team hasn't had to make the decision to move on from highly popular aging veterans?
Next, is this team not better than it was when Gutekunst first got here? Is that not the goal, and no, it's not all because of one guy. You don't win at this clip with one guy carrying the team on his back.
Finally, I ask again, is this IT? I'm having a hard time matching up the crime with the punishment here. Bunch all the "reasons" being floated around about Love, more input on player moves, or whatever, and COMBINED they don't add up to warrant Rodgers walking away from this team or his place in Packer lore and history. If it's something bigger than all this come out with it already. It's been months.
I could see these issues coming out if the team was heading in the wrong direction and not much hope of getting better but the opposite is true here. This is a really good football team.

"The train is leaving the station."
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

Plus keeping older players doesn't allow others to grow into the leadership role.
It only focuses on the immediate team ad doesn't look down the road at what the team will be like in 3,4 or 5 years.

IF that is what Aaron wants it is the quickest way to cripple an organization. Aaron is extremely smart. I can't believe this is the hang up.

Organizations in every sport have been culling the older players off the team and bringing in younger bodies for more than 100 years. The is nothing wrong with it. There is nothing insidious about it. Making the tough call and letting the aging veteran go is almost always the mark of a good organization not a poorly led one.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Did you catch that Davante spoke on that growing into a leadership role? He was saying that Jordan is taking more of a leadership role without Aaron there. Then said that's exactly how you need to do it. He also mentioned he's a natural leader and sat back because Jordy Nelson and other WR's were here as leaders.

I do believe the Packers letting go of players when they did bothers him. I mean, he hasn't been shy about it, especially Charles Woodson. I think that combined with the uncertainty of the final years of his contract are what has high priority on his list of issues. That's assuming he has more than two of course.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago

Did you catch that Davante spoke on that growing into a leadership role? He was saying that Jordan is taking more of a leadership role without Aaron there. Then said that's exactly how you need to do it. He also mentioned he's a natural leader and sat back because Jordy Nelson and other WR's were here as leaders.

I do believe the Packers letting go of players when they did bothers him. I mean, he hasn't been shy about it, especially Charles Woodson. I think that combined with the uncertainty of the final years of his contract are what has high priority on his list of issues. That's assuming he has more than two of course.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yes I did catch it. Ever year someone grows and takes on a larger role in terms of leadership. It may not be one of the "Big guys" who speak to the HC about the needs to the team but a 2nd year guy talks to the rookies and tells them what to expect. A 3rd year player works with those younger than he. It is a stepping stone process. Very few players are like Z was in 2020, take over the locker room and come in and assume a major portion of the leadership mantel in the first year with a team.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
2 years ago
I recommend going onto YouTube and watching all of the previous seasons of "Hard Knocks". I did. As we sit here and wring our hands about what is bugging Rodgers, assigning blame as emotions ebb and flow, reading and watching the assorted experts and those with supposed inside information, I cannot help but acknowledge that this is a brutal business, with little room for sentimentality if a team is striving for success. These cuts are made collectively by position coaches, coordinators, a head coach, a GM, and bet your ass a team president in our case. Sometimes I like them or hate them, just like everyone else, but recognize that I don't have all the context in which these decisions are made. Guess what? Aaron Rodgers doesn't either...not all of them... especially in light if his impact on a salary cap for these decision makers, as one example...
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

Yes I did catch it. Ever year someone grows and takes on a larger role in terms of leadership. It may not be one of the "Big guys" who speak to the HC about the needs to the team but a 2nd year guy talks to the rookies and tells them what to expect. A 3rd year player works with those younger than he. It is a stepping stone process. Very few players are like Z was in 2020, take over the locker room and come in and assume a major portion of the leadership mantel in the first year with a team.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

This is interesting to me because I remember one of Brian Gutekunst press conferences when Jordy Nelson was mentioned. Gutekunst said something about needing Davante to step into that leadership role, or something of that ilk.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago

I recommend going onto YouTube and watching all of the previous seasons of "Hard Knocks". I did. As we sit here and wring our hands about what is bugging Rodgers, assigning blame as emotions ebb and flow, reading and watching the assorted experts and those with supposed inside information, I cannot help but acknowledge that this is a brutal business, with little room for sentimentality if a team is striving for success. These cuts are made collectively by position coaches, coordinators, a head coach, a GM, and bet your ass a team president in our case. Sometimes I like them or hate them, just like everyone else, but recognize that I don't have all the context in which these decisions are made. Guess what? Aaron Rodgers doesn't either...not all of them... especially in light if his impact on a salary cap for these decision makers, as one example...

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

As time has rolled by I keep thinking, if Aaron was to be involved in the decision making process, fine. Let him resign as QB. Give back the money he was paid to be the starting QB on the team and send his application in to be a subordinate to the GM. (Probably starting as a scout.) and work his way up the organizational chain. He needs to prove along the way that he is capable of evaluating talent.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

The release of Josh Sitton comes to mind as a brutal surprise.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (34m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (2h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (6h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (17h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.