beast
3 years ago

Btw, Josh Jackson might get another shot here, this D is a zone heavy scheme.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

The last defense was heavy zone scheme too... still don't trust him with deep coverage responsibilities. He might be good in a cover 2... this defenses supposively runs a lot of cover 2 and cover 3.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

Btw, Josh Jackson might get another shot here, this D is a zone heavy scheme.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I'm guessing this means Ian Rapoport saying Casey Hayward being released due to not being a scheme fit was complete BS? I thought that was something Casey excelled at ... zone.
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago

I'm guessing this means Ian Rapoport saying Casey Hayward being released due to not being a scheme fit was complete BS? I thought that was something Casey excelled at ... zone.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Not all zone schemes are the same... there is cover 1, cover 2, cover 3 and a lot more different types, those are just some basics and it gets a lot more specific.

It depends on what they plan on running... as I said, I think Jackson would be his best in cover 2, where CBs are asked to physically play the shorter stuff more often, as I don't trust him deep.

Where Hayward was at his best in coverage 3 zone, where the CBs basically have the sidelines deeper.

Neither is a pure man coverage guy (and the NFL has been getting away from pure man coverage), but doesn't mean both excel best at the same type of zone scheme either.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

Not all zone schemes are the same... there is cover 1, cover 2, cover 3 and a lot more different types, those are just some basics and it gets a lot more specific.

It depends on what they plan on running... as I said, I think Jackson would be his best in cover 2, where CBs are asked to physically play the shorter stuff more often, as I don't trust him deep.

Where Hayward was at his best in coverage 3 zone, where the CBs basically have the sidelines deeper.

Neither is a pure man coverage guy (and the NFL has been getting away from pure man coverage), but doesn't mean both excel best at the same type of zone scheme either.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I think one of the mistakes I make is considering zone as to playing off. I don't know if I prefer Man or Zone, but I know I prefer smashing a guy at the line of scrimmage.
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago

I think one of the mistakes I make is considering zone as to playing off. I don't know if I prefer Man or Zone, but I know I prefer smashing a guy at the line of scrimmage.

I know I prefer playing man, as if you get the elite CBs for it, you can shut teams down...

But of course the NFL experts say I'm wrong, as they're going in the opposite direction. Probably just too many man beater routes and schemes right now. So I'd go with the expects as almost the entire NFL has gone more zone coverage. (of course, that might mean the man coverage CBs are more available... but really, they have largely seemed to disappear).

But yeah, you can play zone in many different ways, Richard Sherman has made a great career by playing cover 3 zone and smashing guys at the line.

Even when Kevin King was in man coverage, at times he'd be no where near the line.

I don't think Hayward smashes at the line, even though he's also into cover 3.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
Focusing on the WR's there. I think Adams, Lazard and Valdes-Scantling get new deals.
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago

Focusing on the WR's there. I think Adams, Lazard and Valdes-Scantling get new deals.

Adams was supposed to get an extension already, Lazard will be an RFA, so he'll probably get the 2nd round tender.

MVS is the big question, and honestly that probably depends on his market value, as he's a 3rd WR with great speed.... will someone pay him #2 starting money? Would or maybe should say could the Packers? They are pretty tight against the cap unless they get rid of some contracts (Rodgers, Adams... trade or not resign them).

I think the Packers will be looking to grab CB, WR and IOL because they do draft for future needs to a degree and those are the current future needs as CB and WR has so many guys in contract years, and IOL has Patrick in a contract year and just lost Linsley and so they got nothing proven there except Jenkins for three spots.

I'm thinking the Packers grab a CB or WR with the first selection, probably CB but depends on how the board falls.

Then CB, WR or IOL in round two.

CB from Virginia Tech, North Western, Florida State or Georgia.

WR Nico Collins seems like a Gute type to me. Also LSU's WR Marshall which could go early.

Could they draft the Center from Wisconsin White Water?
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2 years ago
Just curious, this article seems to imply 'the thinking' is to move Jenkins to tackle...since when? I had thought the thinking was, perhaps to move Turner to RT.

Regardless, they need help on the OL.

Lombardi Avenue said

Packers 2021 pre-draft preview: Uncertainty at center
by Freddie Boston
https://lombardiave.com/2021/04/19/packers-2021-draft-preview-center/ 

The Green Bay Packers will be making changes to the interior of the offensive line following the departure of Corey Linsley in free agency.

Whether they replace Linsley with another center not in the starting five last season, or whether one of Lucas Patrick or Elgton Jenkins moves inside remains to be seen.

Should the Packers address the interior offensive line positions in the draft next week?

Free agency recap

All-Pro Linsley signed a deal with the Los Angeles Chargers, joining Bryan Bulaga, his former teammate in Green Bay. Last week, veteran guard Lane Taylor signed with the Houston Texans. He was a starter in Week 1 before tearing his ACL.

Need in the draft?

It depends.

In short, the Packers do need to add an offensive lineman in the draft, but the actual position is less clear. If the plan isn’t to move Elgton Jenkins to tackle and either Jenkins or Lucas Patrick will play center, the interior spots become less important to address.

Second-year Jon Runyan Jr. can step into a starting role, and the Packers drafted three interior linemen a year ago.

Draft outlook
Again, it all comes down to the Packers’ plan for the starting five. If Jenkins is a tackle long term, guard and center moves higher on the list of draft priorities. If either Jenkins or Patrick will play center with the other staying at guard, tackle is a bigger need.

It wouldn’t be all that surprising if Green Bay drafted both a guard or tackle, or a lineman with the versatility to play multiple positions like Billy Turner.

The fact the Packers have a few players who can play multiple spots is good, but it also makes it harder to determine where they need the most help along the offensive line.

The Packers should add more depth to the offensive line this month. Rather than determining a position to target, a better idea would be to just draft the best lineman on the board.

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

Just curious, this article seems to imply 'the thinking' is to move Jenkins to tackle...since when? I had thought the thinking was, perhaps to move Turner to RT.

Regardless, they need help on the OL.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

I think we fall onto "articles" a bit too much. I can create a website, put a pretty design that looks professional and write articles everyday. It means nothing as I am merely an uninformed man who reads too much. The closest to inside information I've ever obtained is that from NFL agents or second-hand from direct communication with writers.

What I'm saying is Brian Gutenkunst won't return my mother trucking calls!!!!

Regarding Elgton Jenkins, I am going to just let the coaches decide that because I am absolutely clueless. I personally feel he's too tall to be inside and would be better outside. I'm of the foolish belief that if you have solid Tackles and a solid Center, that your Guards can be mediocre and you can still have a dominate OL.

LT - A
LG - C+
C - B
RG - C+
RT - A

I would build my team from DL and OL. And I would build my OL from outside to inside.

And ladies and gentlemen, this is why I do not have a career as a NFL General Manager, but I kick some ass in Madden though!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (16h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.