Zero2Cool
3 years ago
Aaron Jones is a helluva talent, that's not something I'd debate. I will say he's going to get far more money than he's worth (even relatively speaking. Jamaal Williams isn't going to break a 70+ yarder, but he has shown to be more consistent than Jones in getting positive yards.

If they both came at the same price, I would take Jones every time. If Jamaal comes at 50% of Jones, I'll take Jamaal.

If we had Jordan Love running the show, I would say Jones even at $10-12 million/year over three years is worth it.

As for OL, we need lots of depth there. The better the OL, the better the running game and subsequently the passing game.

As for defense in a topic about Aaron Jones (? - lol I love this place). We need to bolster our DL, which makes LB's better, which makes CB's better. Trying to land CB's is akin to fixing a symptom of the problem, rather than the root of the problem. And the root of the problem is the QB getting comfortable in the pocket. Make that QB uncomfortable and you can win a lot of games with ball hawking CB's.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
3 years ago
You know what? A franchise tag might be the best way to do this. AJ has hired Leigh Steinberg, so it seems like he wants to get paid. Thing is, this year is not the year to go for that big contract.

Right now, teams are cutting players to get under the cap. Not only is that going to create a downward pressure on salaries, but it's going to make more guys who can play available. Guys with huge contracts are going to be vulnerable. AJ will have to compete with those guys.

However if AJ gets franchise tagged, he will have a pretty decent contract for one year, then he can hit the market after another chance at a ring, with an expanding salary cap, plenty of money available. To me, that's a double upside.

The risk is with injury next season. But this pitch count has worked very well for him. Hell, he could hedge that risk with an insurance policy. Steinberg is the best, he can hook AJ up with something like that.

This is not the best year to try and get paid.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

You know what? A franchise tag might be the best way to do this. AJ has hired Leigh Steinberg, so it seems like he wants to get paid. Thing is, this year is not the year to go for that big contract.

Right now, teams are cutting players to get under the cap. Not only is that going to create a downward pressure on salaries, but it's going to make more guys who can play available. Guys with huge contracts are going to be vulnerable. AJ will have to compete with those guys.

However if AJ gets franchise tagged, he will have a pretty decent contract for one year, then he can hit the market after another chance at a ring, with an expanding salary cap, plenty of money available. To me, that's a double upside.

The risk is with injury next season. But this pitch count has worked very well for him. Hell, he could hedge that risk with an insurance policy. Steinberg is the best, he can hook AJ up with something like that.

This is not the best year to try and get paid.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

AJ still under his rookie contract. Aaron Jones signing the Franchise Tag might be best for him and the team. Keep rocking out while getting paid and then cash in big in 2022 with a Super Bowl ring. Maybe even try to re-sign Jamaal Williams long-term.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
I agree 100% Zero.
Keep both RBs if at all possible. It won’t be long and we won’t have a realistic shot at a super bowl. Go all in NOW, or regret it.
They SHOULD have did it this past season. A few major pickups on defense (some good FAs), and they could have been getting their rings.
Instead, just another disapointing wasted season.
With a much tougher schedule, they might not even make the playoffs.
Rodgers just saw what a REAL “all in” team can do (Tampa Bay) and they won it all. It has to be frustrating for him.
We can’t afford to LOSE good players. It will make getting there even harder.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

I agree 100% Zero.
Keep both RBs if at all possible. It won’t be long and we won’t have a realistic shot at a super bowl. Go all in NOW, or regret it.
They SHOULD have did it this past season. A few major pickups on defense (some good FAs), and they could have been getting their rings.
Instead, just another disapointing wasted season.
With a much tougher schedule, they might not even make the playoffs.
Rodgers just saw what a REAL “all in” team can do (Tampa Bay) and they won it all. It has to be frustrating for him.
We can’t afford to LOSE good players. It will make getting there even harder.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

The Buccaneers were not an all in team. They were an amazing defensive team with a menacing DL and incredible LBs. They just needed a QB who wouldn't turn the ball over over two times a game lol.

Packers don't need to murder their future for a chance this year. They gotta get that DL to punish teams. And improve the OL, which might be hard without Corey Linsley. Maybe franchise Linsley and transition tag Aaron Jones?

Can a team use two tags? Lol
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago

The Buccaneers were not an all in team. They were an amazing defensive team with a menacing DL and incredible LBs. They just needed a QB who wouldn't turn the ball over over two times a game lol.

Packers don't need to murder their future for a chance this year. They gotta get that DL to punish teams. And improve the OL, which might be hard without Corey Linsley. Maybe franchise Linsley and transition tag Aaron Jones?

Can a team use two tags? Lol

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

To me, all in means getting the part, or parts that you need to get “the prize”. The Packers only needed a couple of players last season to bolster their defense to the point where they could compete against great teams like Tampa. They chose to sit on their hands and HOPE to get it done. And of course we know the results. And now with most likely losing some of the most important parts on offense, which kept us in most games, it’s going to make it even harder just to make the playoffs, let alone a Super Bowl.
Going “all in” now gives you at least a shot.
Not going all in means not even getting close.
When we lose Rodgers, which most likely won't be long from now, we have no idea if Love, or any other QB will be good. We’ve been lucky to have back to back great QBs. I seriously doubt we will have a third.
Look at all the NFL teams that have been trying, without results, to have even ONE QB great the last 30 years? Aaron Rodgers threw 48 TDs last season. You would think that would be enough. If the Packer brass don’t do what is necessary to win another championship, then they have failed.
Like Lombardi said, if you are not first, you are last.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
The Packers had all the parts to get the Super Bowl in 2019 and 2020. Sometimes, the other team is just better. There is not magical recipe, and I know you're not saying that. It just seems people think there's some recipe to going all-in, and if the team doesn't win it all then they didn't. The Buccaneers are not a team that went in all-in by any definition that I can fathom. They didn't really add a whole lot. Yes, they landed Tom Brady. Who when you look at QB play from 2019 vs 2020, you'll see the Buccaneers were a damn good team if not for their piss poor QB turning the ball over with 30 INT"s and losing 9 fumbles. You can't get to the promised land when your QB is giving the opposing offense 39 extra offensive shots.

We already know Aaron Rodgers cannot win it on his own. Look at the history of it. The defense does not do it's job. I think the defense gave up over 30 points in each of the post-season losses.

My gosh, this is frustrating. If the Packers brass doesn't do what is necessary? Do we fans think they want to lose? I don't understand this mindset at all. And by who's definition are we setting this? Yours? Mine? Some shock-jock radio personality? I mean, we do understand that only ONE team wins the Super Bowl every year, right? It's not little league where a trophy is handed out for league participation, lol.

The Green Bay Packers have reached the NFC Championship back-to-back years and I keep seeing fans acting like the Packers are the Bengals or something. There seems to be an all or nothing mentality. I even saw someone say the Packers franchise should be ashamed for only winning two Super Bowls in 30 years between Favre and Rodgers. Can anyone be anymore narrow-minded?

We are so damn fortunate as Packers fans to have a team that is in position to be a threat for a NFL Championship year-in, year-out that I feel we have gotten insanely spoiled rather than appreciating the greatness.

Anyhow, as for the Packers sitting on their hands in 2020. How is it we forget the additions of Adrian Amos, Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith? Teams can't keep a revolving door and be competitive. And what defensive players were out there that we could have added? What players would have put us over the top?

The Packers defense got something like three interceptions off Tom Brady and snared just one touchdown from it. Winning a Super Bowl is not a science. You need luck on your side and when David Bakhtiari got injured, our luck was shot. Without our OL healthy, we had little to no chance. I feel confident that if 69 was on the field, the Packers were going to the Super Bowl.

In my opinion -- Packers are not far off at all. Get a starter on the OL and some depth on the OL. Add a DL that can help Kenny Clark, even if that means bringing back Damon Harrison and actually PLAYING him. Kamal Martin and Khrys Barnes are going to take that jump in year two (fingers crossed, lol).
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
3 years ago
Packers failure to address the CB position was their downfall, once Kenny Clark and got to playing elite again, the DL was good.

The Packers got a pretty good pass rush, they just can't force the QB to hold the ball long enough for the pass rushers to get there without better coverage guys.

And to Zero's point, franchising Aaron Jones surprisingly might actually be best for Jones with the low market this year. Next year might be better for him to get a huge long term deal, and Packers have a proven quick guy to go with the still a bit uncertain power of Dillon.

I love Dillon's potential, but the two things that sorta makes me nervous to go with as the lead back are, RBs get injured often, we need more than one good one.

And two, Rodgers reaction post Titans game, where he sorta said the correct PR thing, we knew someone could step up... then followed it with something, like uncertainty, because they hadn't seen it much in practice.

Very deep into the season and he hadn't seen much of it? And also Rodgers doing the hidden finger pointing to make sure Dillon is going the right way... make me think Dillon had more struggle learning the language of the system (which even Rodgers has said is long).

But I really think two good CBs, one DL and a few more offensive weapons and this team could be unstoppable if the OL can hold up and they stay healthy. Yeah a lot of ifs, but that's for all teams.

The Buccaneers front 7 is so good, you have to be able to punch them in the mouth, and I said we'd need to be able to use Dillon's power running on them as Jones ain't running away from those speed ILBers. But really Bucs don't matter until players.

Who does matter is NFC North, NFC West, AFC North, Saints, Washington and maybe Chiefs if that's the 17th game.

Lots and lots of tough lines in there... need to improve CB and the lines the most.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
3 years ago
We know we were the best team. Sometimes you gotta beat the officials too.

Our team gets more favorable calls than most. But nobody gets them like Brady. Fortunately Aaron says and does all the right things. They'll toss him one. We just have to get back there.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Cheesey
3 years ago
I don’t disagree, Zero.
Remember, I lived through over 20 years of futility, watching loss after loss.
So I’m not taking the Packers last 30 years for granted at all.
I just figure that the “gravy train” will be pulling into the station soon, and we will be back to beating the Bears one game in a season as a good year. I’m not looking forward to that at all.
This is where I sometimes think a team owner is better. They want the trophy.
With a board of guys, who makes the ultimate choice of what to do? The old “too many cooks spoils the soup” thing.
Of course I don’t know what goes on behind closed doors there. I’m ONLY a fan. And I sure don’t know more then they do.
My comments come from the heart.....not so much from the brain sometimes.
I’m sure they want to win.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (now) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (40m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (23h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.