Rushing Yards : 13th
Passing Yards : 7th
Points Against: 13th
Opponent Team Passer Rating : 12th
3rd Down PCT : 10th
Red Zone : 8th
Sacks/Pass Attempt : 8th
Goal To Go : 4th

The defense actually ranks pretty damn well. That coverage call or execution or whatever it was with :01 left in the half vs Buccaneers was atrocious. Does that one failure negate the season of success?
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
3 years ago
There were also free plays for 12 men on the field.

I'd be ok if he was replaced, but that's up to Matt. This defense does get stops when we need them, pretty often. Get some DTs. CBs who can hang onto INTs.

Would we want a young up and coming guy or an old hand who has experience? Pettine is experienced, seen it all.

I think Pettine has proven he's at least adequate against the run.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

There were also free plays for 12 men on the field.

I'd be ok if he was replaced, but that's up to Matt. This defense does get stops when we need them, pretty often. Get some DTs. CBs who can hang onto INTs.

Would we want a young up and coming guy or an old hand who has experience? Pettine is experienced, seen it all.

I think Pettine has proven he's at least adequate against the run.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Who is at fault for 12 men on the field? Is that the position coaches? Is that communication failure due to injuries? I don't know who that falls on and sure it's easy to just fault the coordinator. I'm more interested in how it can be corrected than firing a guy because the team had 12 men on the field a few times throughout the season. Should the Packers cut Mason Crosby because he missed a handful of extra points?
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
Were Kevin Kings screw ups because of where the coach told him to be? Or was that all on King? That’s a question I’d like to see the answer to. That would help me in deciding who to hold accountable.
The yanking of the Jersey, for all to see, that’s 100% on King. A high schooler knows not to do that.
You take a guy like Alexander, who shines on the field, and on the other side you have a guy like King that constantly misses making plays.
You need to cut King and get someone that has more talent to take his place. He’s too consistent in his screwing up.
Any QB that has half a brain will pick on him, as the obvious weak link. Which Brady did.

So....who gets held accountable? Was it “just” a lack of talent, or also coaching? I don’t think any of us know enough facts to decide.
UserPostedImage
macbob
3 years ago
Personally, I like Pettine and the memories of all the years of defensive crapiness we had before he became our DC (going back to before Capers). I'm hoping Pettine comes back again and we're not having to start over from scratch on D.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
3 years ago
This team is often one of the worst when it comes to paying the Defensive side of the ball. I think 2020 was the first time they were in the top 10 in a long time. It is hard to have a great D when all the salary cap is spent on O. Especially when you miss as often as we have on top Defensive draft picks.

Defense spending by cap
Year Rank #players Cap $ Average Cap %
2020 7 24 $78,183,236 $3,257,635 38.34%
2019 22 22 $53,619,373 $2,437,244 27.21%
2018 32 21 $26,876,613 $1,279,839 14.84%
beast
3 years ago
Without knowing more of their teaching and what the players were before and after and if he's able to command the players, it's impossible to tell.

Personally I enjoy what Pettie does up front with the twist and using the talent he got... but this year showed the Packers are really lacking at DT when Clark isn't playing at his elite level for whatever reason.

Though, I really dislike with how conservative he is on the back end, and I have wondered why...

[list]
  • Is it because he's content to play it safe? His history would say no... but who someone is in the past and who they are now, aren't always the same.
  • Is it because he doesn't trust his DBs? Which I can understand, as I don't trust the CBs outside of Alexander and really wanted them to draft a CB high in last year draft.
  • Is it because for some reason, he thinks that's best with the current offensive schemes?
  • Is it because sometimes he might make bad play calls?[/list]

• That question needs to be answered... as well,.to know if he should be fired. I've been under the assumption he's using the Safeties to cover up for the CBs potential mistakes, especially when you can fairly easily get a mix match with King if you have the guys with the right skill sets (I thought King might be following the large WR around and let Alexander handle the others) but that assumption, is just that, that an assumption.

I think whomever is the DC, you want better CB talent that were had.

UserPostedImage
    nerdmann
    3 years ago

This team is often one of the worst when it comes to paying the Defensive side of the ball. I think 2020 was the first time they were in the top 10 in a long time. It is hard to have a great D when all the salary cap is spent on O. Especially when you miss as often as we have on top Defensive draft picks.

Defense spending by cap
    Year Rank #players Cap $ Average Cap %
    2020 7 24 $78,183,236 $3,257,635 38.34%
    2019 22 22 $53,619,373 $2,437,244 27.21%
    2018 32 21 $26,876,613 $1,279,839 14.84%

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

Sounds like aaron wants to give back some money. Perhaps Aaron Jones will get some.
    “Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
    nerdmann
    3 years ago

Without knowing more of their teaching and what the players were before and after and if he's able to command the players, it's impossible to tell.

Personally I enjoy what Pettie does up front with the twist and using the talent he got... but this year showed the Packers are really lacking at DT when Clark isn't playing at his elite level for whatever reason.

Though, I really dislike with how conservative he is on the back end, and I have wondered why...

[list]

• Is it because he's content to play it safe? His history would say no... but who someone is in the past and who they are now, aren't always the same.
  • Is it because he doesn't trust his DBs? Which I can understand, as I don't trust the CBs outside of Alexander and really wanted them to draft a CB high in last year draft.
  • Is it because for some reason, he thinks that's best with the current offensive schemes?
  • Is it because sometimes he might make bad play calls?[/list]

• That question needs to be answered... as well,.to know if he should be fired. I've been under the assumption he's using the Safeties to cover up for the CBs potential mistakes, especially when you can fairly easily get a mix match with King if you have the guys with the right skill sets (I thought King might be following the large WR around and let Alexander handle the others) but that assumption, is just that, that an assumption.

I think whomever is the DC, you want better CB talent that were had.

Originally Posted by: beast 

To me, Pettine is a solid DC, above average. But he's not one of these "Norman Einstein" guess who can take shitty players and win with just scheme. (Although he did very well with Nick Perry and post-juice Clay Matthews.)

He's always gonna be solid, but not often spectacular. Then again, what King did this weekend was not solid, and 12-men penalties, also not solid. I hypothesize this thing with King was some kind of gambling debt or something. It was very suspect. So let's give Pettine a pass on that for now.

Is that what you want, a guy who's solid? More steak than sizzle? Then lean toward keeping him. But get him another DT and maybe a CB who can play. Our future at ILB looks pretty good, imo. (Not to jinx.)
    beast
    3 years ago

Sounds like aaron wants to give back some money. Perhaps Aaron Jones will get some.

I don't believe it... player don't give back money... cap space, maybe, but that's only because they're locking the money up in their bank account and letting the team account for it later (it's a win/win now, but the future has less cap space)

To me, Pettine is a solid DC, above average. But he's not one of these "Norman Einstein" guess who can take shitty players and win with just scheme. (Although he did very well with Nick Perry and post-juice Clay Matthews.)

He's always gonna be solid, but not often spectacular. Then again, what King did this weekend was not solid, and 12-men penalties, also not solid. I hypothesize this thing with King was some kind of gambling debt or something. It was very suspect. So let's give Pettine a pass on that for now.

Is that what you want, a guy who's solid? More steak than sizzle? Then lean toward keeping him. But get him another DT and maybe a CB who can play. Our future at ILB looks pretty good, imo. (Not to jinx.)

Rules are so favored to the offense and so much offensive talent and people have made great points with the spread offenses in college less players are being forced to go play DB in college...

So more than ever before offense has great amazing athletes and defense has less so, plus the spread offense is mentally easy for defenders which means they're less mentally ready when they have to go against more pro-styles.

But basically everything is going against defensive coaches right now, so maybe with the exception of Bill Belichick, I don't think their is an "'Norman Einstein' guess who can take shitty players and win with just scheme." out there...

But Iowa State has done some interesting things with their 3-3-5 which is where I think football might be going and Rodgers said the Panthers and their recently college coaches ran it and it confused him at times.

Looking around and seeing that defensive coaches were hired to be head coaches and lots of new DC filled, and not many great choices left...

I'm not sure there is a clear good DC choice from the NFL left... you're taking a gamble... if you know someone, then maybe. Right now, Joe Whitt Jr., and I'm not sure he's better than Pettine.

So then looking at college coaches, Georgia head coach is former Bama DC and he's had some good defenses, Ohio State is always well coaches especially their CBs but I think they just switched DC. Then there is Iowa State DC, who has gotten got with the 3-3-5... which the Packers will certainly need another stud DL to run it...

I think the smart choice is to stick with Pettine at least another season... if Broncos or Titans fire their head coaches then maybe talk to see if they're interested in the job.

UserPostedImage
    Fan Shout
    dhazer (12m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
    Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
    Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
    dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
    Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
    Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
    beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
    Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
    Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
    beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
    beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
    beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.