Zero2Cool
3 years ago

He waited 13 long years for this moment, a chance to play for a Super Bowl at Lambeau Field, as opposed to standing there helplessly in the Titletown chill. And when it finally came on Sunday in Green Bay -- and passed, in a manner so heartbreaking and dumbfounding that it seemed to knock the life out of him -- Aaron Rodgers trudged across the frozen tundra and into the great unknown.

After a brief, melancholy hug with his victorious rival, Tom Brady, Rodgers knew what came next, and it would not be pleasant: A trip to the subdued Packers locker room, a shower, and then a virtual press conference to break down the 31-26 NFC Championship Game defeat to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. This was a moment of reckoning, and more than anyone -- even Green Bay's second-year coach, Matt LaFleur -- the star quarterback and face of the franchise would be asked to process it and put it into context.

In that charged moment, his wounds still fresh, Rodgers, a highly intelligent and hyper-aware 37-year-old, chose his words carefully. And when he spoke, I believe he delivered a message to his bosses, one I'd roughly translate thusly: Your way of doing business has to change, or maybe I should be on my way.

"[There are] a lot of guys' futures that are uncertain," Rodgers told reporters, "myself included. That's what's sad about it most ... getting this far. Obviously there's going to be an end to it at some point, whether we make it past this one or not. Just the uncertainties, 🇮🇹 is tough, and the finality of it."

In the immediate aftermath of the fifth-seeded Bucs' upset of the top-seeded Packers -- the second consecutive year Green Bay has been bounced at this late stage -- there were a lot of sizzling storylines to address.

For starters, the Packers made a multitude of mistakes, most glaringly allowing Scott Miller to get behind the secondary to catch Brady's 39-yard touchdown pass a second before halftime -- yet another epic endeavor by the most ruthless quarterback ever to spin it -- and fell behind 28-10 early in the third quarter.

Then, fueled by a dominant second-half performance that included intercepting Brady on three consecutive possessions, the Packers were eight yards and a two-point conversion away from tying the game in the final minutes. Yet after three incompletions, with the Packers facing fourth-and-goal from the 8 and trailing 31-23, LaFleur made the surprising decision to have Mason Crosby kick a 26-yard field goal with 2:05 remaining, believing that Green Bay (which had all three timeouts) could get a stop and give Rodgers another chance to score a touchdown.

And then, on a day when the officials had ignored most contact in the secondary and largely kept their flags in their pockets, a late and semi-nitpicky third-down pass interference call on cornerback Kevin King sealed the deal for Brady -- sending him to his 10th Super Bowl -- and the Bucs, who'll face the AFC champion (and defending Super Bowl champion) Kansas City Chiefs on Feb. 7 as the first team to play for a Lombardi Trophy in their home stadium.

All of that is captivating and compelling and worthy of our further examination, but Rodgers' postgame message -- well, that resonated most of all. And really, if we're intellectually honest with ourselves, an eventual first-ballot Hall of Famer's uncertain future has been looming over the entirety of the 2020 NFL season, and really goes back even further than that.

A year ago, the San Francisco 49ers ran all over the Packers en route to a 37-20 NFC Championship Game victory. Afterward, Rodgers did his best to put a positive spin on the outcome, saying his first year with LaFleur would "always be special because it became fun again."

Yet the Packers' front office, which had been uncharacteristically proactive in free agency the previous spring (with great results), went back to its passive ways this past March, and Rodgers undoubtedly noticed.

In late April, when general manager Brian Gutekunst traded up in the first round to draft ... Utah State quarterback Jordan Love -- well, Rodgers did more than notice. No, he wasn't thrilled. Not only had Green Bay aggressively coveted his successor, but there was also the matter of opportunity cost. Gutekunst left some potential impact players on the board when he made the move for Love, and in a draft considered receiver-rich, he elected not to select a single wideout.

That storyline faded as we watched Rodgers put together a monster season that will almost certainly earn him a third Most Valuable Player award -- with the distinct promise of a second chance to hoist the trophy he really covets, the one named after a Packers coaching legend.

It resurfaced Sunday, in a glaring way. As the Bucs celebrated their victory over the Packers at Lambeau, how could Rodgers not have pondered the disparity between the two organizations' respect approaches?

In March, when Tampa Bay general manager Jason Licht landed Brady, a living legend who'd turn 43 before the start of the season, he reacted by putting the pedal to the metal and running through stop signs and speed bumps. From Rob Gronkowski to LeSean McCoy to Leonard Fournette to Antonio Brown, Licht took huge swings on talented veterans he hoped might make a difference in a furious push to maximize the relatively small window created by Brady's presence.

In the draft, rather than going after Brady's successor, Licht used the 13th overall pick on Iowa's Tristan Wirfs, who instantly became an impact player at right tackle and consistently made his quarterback's life better.

Licht's approach wasn't guaranteed to work. But it made intuitive sense, jibing perfectly with head coach Bruce Arians' No risk it, no biscuit mantra. And it certainly helped convince Brady that his bosses were all in, and possibly took some of the burden off of the legendary quarterback, psychic or otherwise.

The Packers, by contrast, appeared to be telling Rodgers something much different in April: We do things our way, and we're already looking past this era -- but hey, if you want to up your game to an even more ethereal level and carry the guys we've already got as far as they can possibly go, have at it!

So yeah, now that Rodgers (33-for-48, 346 yards, three touchdowns, one interception), besieged by a relentless Bucs pass rush and beset by teammates' uncharacteristic mistakes (like the fumble by running back Aaron Jones that essentially handed the Bucs a third-quarter touchdown and the dropped two-point conversion by Equanimeous St. Brown), tried and failed, he's got a lot to unpack. The fact that he fell short against one of the greatest competitors the sports world has ever known -- on a day in which Brady made more mistakes than usual -- makes that unpacking process even messier.

We all want clarity, but what happens next isn't as clear-cut as some might portray it. Sure, Rodgers -- who is under contract through the 2023 season -- could tell his bosses he wants out and try to force a trade. To me, that seems like an extreme scenario given how close this team came to playing for a championship, and how integral he is to its fortunes. It should also be noted that while LaFleur does not technically have final say over such matters, he has won an inordinately high percentage of games during his first two seasons and has a zero-percent desire to go into 2021 without Rodgers as his starter -- and will certainly make his thoughts known.

More likely, in the aftermath of a defeat he called "gutting," Rodgers was flexing his power and sending a message. It's one that Gutekunst and his bosses should listen to closely, and assess carefully.

If the Packers want to keep Rodgers in 2021, and perhaps beyond, they're going to need to change their organizational mentality. It's time to pursue talent aggressively and relentlessly and try to load up for another title run while this generational quarterback is still willing and able to fuel that effort.

Either that, or they can stay passive, sit on their hands and watch it all burn.

https://www.nfl.com/news/aaron-rodgers-postgame-comments-a-message-to-packers-brass-that-organizational-m 

Mike Silver wrote:

What do you think about this?
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
3 years ago

What do you think about this?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I think he should GTFO if that's how he feels. Can't take responsibility for the team. NOT a leader.

He did great as long as he was down with Matt's program. Now he's blaming upper management for this loss? Aaron, GoodellBall is what got you here. We get calls too. Not ss much as the Golden Boy Tom Brady, but more than most teams.

I bet Aaron liked upper management just finecwhen they gave him the $100milliin contract.

Step up and win a game dude. Don't turn the ball over. Run it in instead of throwing incompletions. Don't get down by yhree scores, then the refs can't help him.

Is this the example he's setting for all the other players? Is this the example he's setting for all the kids of NE Wisconsin?

Trade him for Matthew Stafford. He'd be grateful for the opportunity. Send him to Jacksonville. Go with Love. Matt had RBG III ready as a rookie.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
3 years ago
Aaron didn't "wait" for 13 years. He FAILED TO ACHIEVE IT for 13 years. It's not Mark Murphy's job to win games, lock up home field advantage. That's AARON'S job.

And if he keeps crying about the Illuminati rigging a game against him, they'll stop rigging them in his favor.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
yooperfan
3 years ago
I didn’t read this before my last post but I mostly agree with Aaron Aaron Rodgers.
That heart breaking loss wasn’t on Murphy or Gutekunst or Aaron Rodgers
That loss was on head coach Matt LeFleur.
Simply heartbreaking.
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

I didn’t read this before my last post but I mostly agree with Aaron Aaron Rodgers.
That heart breaking loss wasn’t on Murphy or Gutekunst or Aaron Rodgers
That loss was on head coach Matt LeFleur.
Simply heartbreaking.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Aaron Rodgers did not put the loss on Head Coach Matt LeFleur. If not for the Head Coach, the Packers wouldn't have even been in the playoffs. Amazing how fans are so fickle and quick to forget, or appreciate. Come on, people! The season only ends happy for one team every year. It is HARD to do.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
I don’t blame Rodgers for being frustrated. But I don’t want him to retire yet.
Although honestly, looking at next years schedule, I can’t see the Packers going better then 8-8.
This was their best shot at a super bowl, and they blew it.
And our defense, with all the mess ups, DID give Rodgers a few shots to win the game in the fourth quarter, and he didn’t get it done. Not that it’s only his fault. There’s plenty of blame to go around if you ask me.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
Brett Favre chimes in.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
3 years ago

Brett Favre chimes in.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

The guy who was the biggest post season disappointment in any sport
go.pack.go.
3 years ago

I think he should GTFO if that's how he feels. Can't take responsibility for the team. NOT a leader.

He did great as long as he was down with Matt's program. Now he's blaming upper management for this loss? Aaron, GoodellBall is what got you here. We get calls too. Not ss much as the Golden Boy Tom Brady, but more than most teams.

I bet Aaron liked upper management just finecwhen they gave him the $100milliin contract.

Step up and win a game dude. Don't turn the ball over. Run it in instead of throwing incompletions. Don't get down by yhree scores, then the refs can't help him.

Is this the example he's setting for all the other players? Is this the example he's setting for all the kids of NE Wisconsin?

Trade him for Matthew Stafford. He'd be grateful for the opportunity. Send him to Jacksonville. Go with Love. Matt had RBG III ready as a rookie.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

You’re quick to forget that this team is below average without 12 behind center....
UserPostedImage
dhazer
3 years ago

You’re quick to forget that this team is below average without 12 behind center....

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

You forget this team isnt good enough to win a big game with #12 behind center. I honestly think Love will flourish in the offense. And just think the free agents that we would be able to bring in without having all that cap space tied up in the qb position. I seen someone saying that Rodgers is mad because look at what Tampa did and GB didn't do that. Well there is a huge difference players want to play with Brady because he is well respected. Look thru the years and the people that have left the Packers and the comments they say about Rodgers. The best case scenario would be he retires because if we trade him we still will be in cap hell.

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (4h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (7h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (10h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (11h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (21h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.