Mucky Tundra
3 years ago
Packers have a decision to make about Mike Pettine 

The moment when the football world realized the Packers need to make a change at defensive coordinator came right before halftime of the NFC Championship game. The Buccaneers had no timeouts, were out of field goal range, and needed to heave the ball to the endzone to make use of the final play of the half.

All the Packers needed to do was line up with safeties near the goal line, drop back into some deep zones, and knock the ball down. Packers defensive coordinator Mike Pettine seemed to lose track of the situation and called something that was just inexplicable.

That begs the question of who to replace him then?
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
shield4life
3 years ago
Go get Rex Ryan out of retirement, someone got to light the fire on the defense ass!
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
beast
3 years ago
I think they were trying to stop the FG there... and the real problem was they triple teamed one guy and left King all alone... either Sullivan or Redmond (probably Redmond) should have seen the 3 on 1 and realize that dude is clearly covered and go help the one on one in King.

I don't think Pettine is nearly the problem that lots of others do... and think it's the players talent more than the coaching scheme, but it might be the coach being able to lite a fire under their ass and play to their full potential.

But the question is who's better?

My favorite answer is Vic Fangio, but the Broncos didn't fire him (yet).

And the NFL just hired a number of defensive head coaches and they were replaced with coordinator, and I feel like very slim NFL pickings left...

There is Paul Guenther, who comes from under Mike Zimmer, and Gruden brought him in to the Raiders to bring a Zimmer type defense, though he didn't exactly have great tools to work with, and might of just been fired as a scapegoat (like Nathaniel Hackett was), or he might actually be not be the best defensive coordinator.

There is Jim Schwartz with his high risk, high reward, tons of man coverage... but we better draft lots of good coverage DBs for that, but he might get the most of the pass rush we got.

See if Rex Ryan is willing to leave the comforts and stress free of media for a defensive coordinator job (usually those guys stay unless they get a head coaching job... and Rex was known to bring a lot of attitude, both good and bad).

Todd Wash from the Jaguars... we got Nathaniel Hackett from the Jaguars, and he hasn't been bad.

Jerry Gray from new DB coach to DC, which I don't know how all the others coaches would feel about, but he's the only one with DC experience.

Some DC from college ball...

Kirby Smart from Georgia

Jon Heacock from Iowa State, which as my limited understanding, came up with the 3-3-5 to get their best defenders on the field and limit the high power Big 12 offenses and it quickly worked and the 3-3-5 confused Rodgers a bit, as the Panthers with their formerly college coaches were running it.

That, and r give Pettine another year and hope Vic Fangio or Mike Vrabel are fired and willing to take the job next year...

The options aren't the best right now...
UserPostedImage
hardrocker950
3 years ago

Packers have a decision to make about Mike Pettine 

That begs the question of who to replace him then?

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Someone who knows what press coverage is. A bonus if he knows that blitzing is a good idea before you are down multiple scores.

Right now I think we could hire a 4 year old with crayons and get the same results.

Can we send Zook with him?
beast
3 years ago

Someone who knows what press coverage is. A bonus if he knows that blitzing is a good idea before you are down multiple scores.

Right now I think we could hire a 4 year old with crayons and get the same results.

Can we send Zook with him?

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 

Pettie is thought to know more about press than most as he has had defenses run heavy press, but it seems like it's mostly gone out of fashion right now in the NFL, which normally means teams have found something that easily beats it. Back in the day people could name a ton of press CBs, now it's a hell lot harder... especially ones that aren't past their prime like Richard Sherman.

As for blitzing, all fans want to blitz more... but do you really trust King, Sullivan and Redmond to hold up in single coverage while you blitz?

You can only blitz if you think you can get home while.your coverage holds up in more one on one coverages... that or like Jets defensive coordinator, you just don't care and you blitz anyways.

Not blitzing should have land to at least 4 INTs of Brady... if not more... and as Pettine said before the game, you aren't tricking Brady, he's seen it all. And should of held Brady's high powered offense to 24 or 27 points.

But you give them some better coverage guys (and that's what I was calling for in the last draft), then I have no problem saying blitz more... but I don't trust are non-top guys in single coverage at all... non-blitzing was smarter. Yeah, maybe he should of thrown a few more im there, but there certainly should not be a lot as Brady would pick it apart every time it didn't get home.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
3 years ago
How many times was the D caught with 12 men on the field?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Mucky Tundra
3 years ago

How many times was the D caught with 12 men on the field?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Ooo good one nerd. Twice I would believe. And it's not the first time it's happened this year and they've had to burn TOs to get it right.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
all_about_da_packers
3 years ago

Ooo good one nerd. Twice I would believe. And it's not the first time it's happened this year and they've had to burn TOs to get it right.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

... How exactly is too many men on the field on D the fault of Mike Pettine? Last I checked, Pettine's job is to make and relay the play call, with position coaches relaying the information to their players on who should be subbing in/out. If the suggestion is that Mike Pettine is getting the playcall in too late, then please link me that article/post (because, in such a scenario, Pettine certainly does deserve blame for 12 men on the field calls); but blindly placing all issues at the feet of Mike is not good insight.

As for Pettine's playcalling before the half: if Will Redmond makes the INT on 3rd and 3 with 13 seconds left, there is no TD from Miller. Or, if Kevin King isn't side-stepping most of the way for Miller's route, maybe it's a different outcome - that's poor technique and not the playcall. And there is no way you can tell me with a straight face that Pettine's playcalling required King to hold on the last PI call of the game. Again, that's on the player and not the DC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Mike Pettine is without fault (I am, to put it lightly, still baffled by the single-high look on Miller's TD before the half), but these overreaction threads aren't insightful.

There are maddening issues that kept appearing throughout this season, but Pettine's defense improved. As he's gotten more talent (Kirksey, Barnes, Martin) and maturity (Gary, Savage) from players, Pettine has - overall - produced better results. I'm mildly curious to see what Pettine can do with a better D-line (Lowry and Lancaster are miscast as anything more than fillers, IMO) and more maturity from the ILBs (particularly Barnes and Martin). Wishful thinking: if we can get a CB even 75% of Jaire offers us ... man, I don't even know if we need better D-line or ILBs because this D will make a noticeable leap.

Of all the reasons we lost the game, Mike Pettine isn't at the top of my list. Our D came out in the second half and gave up 10 total points and created 2 turnovers... if I offered you that performance at halftime, you'd be a fool not to take it. I do expect Pettine to be back, but there has been enough indication that LaFleur is puzzled by some of the things going on with our D (like constantly playing 8-10 yards off with the opposing team only needing 2 or 3 yards for a 1st down) that I wouldn't be too surprised to see Pettine let go.

My concern is that so many issues form last year's debacle showed up again today that fall on LaFleur/Hackett/Rodgers: no variance with offense's tempo, turning to A-Rod hero ball to save us, letting the other team dictate the terms of play and as a result moving away from the run, moments looking like the other team knew exactly what was coming (which, you'd think, shouldn't have happened after the Bucs said the Packers offense was predictable after their week 6 win).
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
go.pack.go.
3 years ago

Pettie is thought to know more about press than most as he has had defenses run heavy press, but it seems like it's mostly gone out of fashion right now in the NFL, which normally means teams have found something that easily beats it. Back in the day people could name a ton of press CBs, now it's a hell lot harder... especially ones that aren't past their prime like Richard Sherman.

As for blitzing, all fans want to blitz more... but do you really trust King, Sullivan and Redmond to hold up in single coverage while you blitz?

You can only blitz if you think you can get home while.your coverage holds up in more one on one coverages... that or like Jets defensive coordinator, you just don't care and you blitz anyways.

Not blitzing should have land to at least 4 INTs of Brady... if not more... and as Pettine said before the game, you aren't tricking Brady, he's seen it all. And should of held Brady's high powered offense to 24 or 27 points.

But you give them some better coverage guys (and that's what I was calling for in the last draft), then I have no problem saying blitz more... but I don't trust are non-top guys in single coverage at all... non-blitzing was smarter. Yeah, maybe he should of thrown a few more im there, but there certainly should not be a lot as Brady would pick it apart every time it didn't get home.

Originally Posted by: beast 

To be fair, at least one interception was caused by blitzing Savage. He got in his face in a hurry and Brady got scared and just heaved it up there.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

I think they were trying to stop the FG there... and the real problem was they triple teamed one guy and left King all alone... either Sullivan or Redmond (probably Redmond) should have seen the 3 on 1 and realize that dude is clearly covered and go help the one on one in King.

I don't think Pettine is nearly the problem that lots of others do... and think it's the players talent more than the coaching scheme, but it might be the coach being able to lite a fire under their ass and play to their full potential.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Are you saying one of the players should have noticed this during the play or pre-snap? And what if two realize it and move over? I don't think that's the right approach. This was one of those cases where there is 8 seconds left and they have no timeouts left and you should play soft.

What's frustrating from my view is when it's third and 4 our defensive backs are 8 yards back. That is when you press and get in their face, not when they need 39 yards for a touchdown with 8 seconds left.

I don't know who it is. There has to be some young up an comer who can scheme LB's into the QB's face. What the Buccaneers have is what I want and I hate they got it and we don't.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.