Cheesey
3 years ago

Nope. The pandemic is here to stay. In May when people were saying this is the new normal. I balked and said nope. I was wrong. Look at the advertising and everything else. People have adapted to this and are investing in it now. The battle is over. Sanity has been lost.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I’m just curious Kevin. Are you going to get the “shot”?
I don’t know.....they pushed it through so fast, how do they know what side effects it might cause? What long term problems it might have?

What about other members here. What are your thoughts on it?
UserPostedImage
earthquake
3 years ago

You said it's obvious where the article was pulled from. How the hell do you figure that cuz I haven't a clue. What's wrong with calling it Wuhan Virus? Didn't it originate in Wuhan? Does this have some negative connotation that I'm (surprise) clueless on?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Calling it the Wuhan Virus, Chinese Virus, Kung Flu, etc carries with it racist connotations, whether intentional or not. There has been a certain amount of racist hysteria related to Covid-19, with some assuming they were more likely to get the virus from Asain people. This resulted in cases of random Asian people being berated or assaulted, especially if they were wearing masks (mask-wearing is common in Asian culture whether you're sick or not). Now that mask-wearing is more generally accepted I think this has calmed down to some extent.

Sources:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52714804 
https://www.adl.org/blog/reports-of-anti-asian-assaults-harassment-and-hate-crimes-rise-as-coronavirus-spreads 

Generally speaking, legitimate news organizations will avoid throwing in Wuhan or Chinese or other slang to try and avoid stiring up these racist sentiments, while less trustworthy sources will use names that they know will resonate with a certain type of reader. So yes, you can sometimes infer the political leaning of an article by weather the virus is referred to by it's medical/scientific name, or by some sort of slang. The Wuhan/Chinese virus wording is often a dog-whistle to folks who have an already poor opinion of Asians and of China in particular.

There's a huge market for misinformation these days, with entire networks detected to it (ie: OAN). As far as how you might figure out the political leanings, or general reliability of websites or news outlets, there are some good resources.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/  seems to be a reliable source. For instance, they list MSNBC  as left-leaning with mixed factual accuracy, while Fox News  is equivalent to MSNBC, but on the right. Unsurprisingly, OAN  shows extreme-right bias and low factual accuracy.

Real news organizations like Reuters  (very low bias), WSJ  (moderate right bias), and NPR  (slight left bias) get high marks for accuracy - generally speaking, they report the news with minimal spin.

This OffGaurdian  website gets poor marks for accuracy and is known to post conspiracy theories, pseudoscience articles, and Russian propaganda. So yes, AADP's instinct that this is a biased and potentially unreliable source, was correct. That doesn't necessarily mean the article in question is incorrect (I haven't looked into it personally so I don't have an opinion), but it's a good practice to know where your news comes from.

https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-ratings 
blank
yooperfan
3 years ago

I don’t know.....they pushed it through so fast, how do they know what side effects it might cause? What long term problems it might have?

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Last summer when the powers that be were talking about fast tracking a vaccine I told my buddy that lives in Green Bay that I was concerned about safety and fast tracking a vaccine that would typically take 4 to 6 years to develop.
I was on the fence!
Now, six months later, I would kick old ladies, children and even dogs to get vaccinated.
As it stands right now, according to our local Health Department, I can expect to be vaccinated between the middle of February and the middle of March.
I'll be there, the good lord willin and the creek don't rise!!!

Zero2Cool
3 years ago

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I don't think so. I'd rather those who aren't healthy to get the shot. I'm low risk. Also, I'm always cautious on getting injected with things. There's no way they have an appropriate number needed to treat for this shot, nor enough understanding of potential side effects.

As alway, I'll continue to practice good hygiene and avoid people. This pandemic more or less has been what I've done my entire life.

To be clear. I'm not anti vaccination. I'm just a very fortunately healthy person who hasn't needed them. Those who like up to get one are perfectly fine by me. All I ask is for the choice. Educate and inform me and allow me the choice.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
3 years ago
Yo, Cheesey, I see that some clown in Grafton is responsible for the destruction of 500 doses of vaccine.
I sincerely hope that this incident doesn’t affect you or your wife should you decide to get it.
Cheesey
3 years ago

Yo, Cheesey, I see that some clown in Grafton is responsible for the destruction of 500 doses of vaccine.
I sincerely hope that this incident doesn’t affect you or your wife should you decide to get it.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Thanks Yoop!
So far, I haven’t even decided if I’m going to get the shot or not. Not that I’m against vaccines. I haven’t even had a flu shot. And so far, I haven’t been sick with the flu in mores years then I can remember.
And that’s funny, with all the crap I have that’s bad in my body.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
Earthquake, I agree that calling it “Kung flu” can be considered demeaning.
But calling it by where it came from I don’t see it as racist at all.
And if some idiots attack Asian people because of it, it has nothing to do with the fact that where it came from as racist. These people had to be racists in the first place. Just like the racists that rioted and attacked and even killed innocent people during the recent riots.

Racists will look hard for reasons to make excuses for their racist behavior.
That’s how I see it, at least.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
Looking back at the previous charts. We're still sitting on 97% of the COVID related deaths are folks 45 years old and older.
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage